Profile for Tariatulle > Reviews

Stuck With You
Stuck With You
Price: 3.02

3.0 out of 5 stars A good holiday read., 3 Mar 2012
This review is from: Stuck With You (Kindle Edition)
I felt like I was watching a cheesy 80's film whilst reading this book, the story was predictable and the characters behaved in all the ways you expect them to but all together an enjoyable experience.

The premise of the book is very interesting. An explosion injures the two lawyers on opposing sides of a divorce and the ambulance taking them to the hospital infects them with a disease which causes them to fall in lust with each other. Despite the interesting premise, Stuck with You is just a run of the mill romance and contains lots of references to sexual acts so if that's not your thing, don't read this book.

I downloaded this book to my kindle app for free from Amazon. I don't think I would pay much more than that for Stuck with You as it isn't my typical genre of book but for free it was a nice change from the norm and I enjoyed being carried down the familiar romance path by a very able writer.

Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy - Book 1): 1/3
Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy - Book 1): 1/3
by Robin Hobb

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Amazing Amazing, 14 Oct 2009
This is a truly wonderful book and goes on to be a wonderful trilogy (not to mention the fantastic two trilogies that follow it). I'm a quick reader and so an average sized book will only last me at most two nights but the Farseer Trilogy had me reading for weeks, not just because of the sheer amount of pages, but because of the detail that the author puts into the books. Robin Hobb has such a wonderful writing style and I found myself cherishing every word.

The Farseer trilogy put me in mind of Lord of the Rings, Philip Pullmans His Dark Materials Trilogy and The Iliad. The world Hobb creates is every bit as rich and absorbing as Tolkeins yet easier to understand, just like Pullman's world is (due to it being aimed at a younger audience) yet Hobb's world is undeniably written for an older audience. I'm sure I could have phrased that better but there you go! The similarities to The Iliad are, I believe, in the writing style. The Iliad was once an oral epic tale told in an age of general illiteracy, throughout the Assassin, Liveship Traders and Fool trilogies Hobb makes many many references to mistrals and oral story telling and 'the artful cadence of a storyteller', I believe Hobb's writing to be a superb mimic of the epic hero stories told from tongue to tablet.

In short. Buy this book and all the books Hobb writes pertaining to this world because you won't be disappointed.

Evelina: Or the History of A Young Lady's Entrance into the World (Penguin Classics)
by Frances Burney
Price: 8.61

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful book, 13 Aug 2009
I read this book at university (I studied English Literature) out of the hundreds of books I read throughout uni, this book is one of the few I've re-read since graduating.

Evelina is written in an epistolary style and whilst I believe it takes a little while to get going, you soon get gripped by the story and feel for Evelina as she makes all her social foibles. The notes in the back are particulary helpfuk in explaining some of the customs that the average modern reader won't understand.

If you like this sort of book then I think you'll find Evelina a charmingly written absorbing read.

The Eye of the Moon
The Eye of the Moon
by n/a Anonymous
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book if a tad silly, 13 Aug 2009
This review is from: The Eye of the Moon (Paperback)
I read the book with no name on holiday and it was a great book to pass the time on the sun lounger so when i found out there was another book I had to have it. Whilst the plot is silly at times and not very well fleshed out in my opinion it is a compelling read, once I started reading I couldn't put it down!

Another review says that the book is rumoured to have been written by Tarantino and Rodriguez, I didn't agree with this so much after reading the first book but the eye of the moon reads just like the film From Dusk Till Dawn.

So in short, if you are a Tarantino fan and want an easy book then give this a go. If you don't like Tarantino then give this book a wide berth!