Profile for bannonj > Reviews

Content by bannonj

bannonj

Page: 1 | 2
Bosch PBH 2900 FRE Pneumatic Rotary Hammer (Old Version)
Bosch PBH 2900 FRE Pneumatic Rotary Hammer (Old Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars I used it for chasing concrete walls to extend wiring and it was very easy. It's not a kango hammer however and should ..., 20 May 2015
I bought this drill for drilling through stone as the stone was too hard for my standard hammer drill. The 2900 drill went through it with the ease of a standard drill going through wood with a sharp bit. It goes through concrete walls even easier. I used it for chasing concrete walls to extend wiring and it was very easy. It's not a kango hammer however and should not be treated as such so it should not be used for major chasing jobs. Although it's heavy I don't notice the weight when using it as it's well balanced. If you want a drill that will make holes in concrete or stone with ease I recommend this drill.

OKO Puncture Free Tyre Sealant for 4x4s, Caravans, Vans 1250ml
OKO Puncture Free Tyre Sealant for 4x4s, Caravans, Vans 1250ml
Offered by DQ SERVICES

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value for the money, 20 May 2015
I used oko tyre sealant on my builders trailer which had a slow puncture, on a wheel Barrow wheel and on a ride on lawn mower wheel with several punctures. It sealed all of them and a year later they are still working without any other repair.

Alcatraz
Alcatraz

1.0 out of 5 stars Alcatraz, 15 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Alcatraz (Kindle Edition)
Having read a few of Brandon Sanderson's books I bought this book without looking at any reviews. I was disappointed to find it's a children's book. Now I have nothing against reading children's books but this has to be the most annoying children's book I ever read. The author fills about half the book with comments that have nothing to do with the story. I'll be a lot more careful in future.

Shaman: A novel of the Ice Age
Shaman: A novel of the Ice Age

4.0 out of 5 stars Shaman: A novel of the Ice Age, 15 Jan. 2014
This is a book about life as Kim S Robinson imagined it was in the Ice Age. The book is mostly about the life style but with a story running through it. It's not edge of the seat stuff but an interesting and easy read all the same.

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Case, Onyx Black - fits all Paperwhite generations

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover Onyx Black (Will only fit Kindle Paperwhite), 15 Jan. 2014
It protects the Kindle Paperwhite. Closing it puts the Paperwhite to sleep and opening it awakens it from sleep of from closed down. It also makes the Kindle appear more like a book.

What more can I say.

4.0 out of 5 stars My First Kindle Paperwhite, 15 Jan. 2014
As someone who bought my first Kindle Paperwhite recently I hope this review will be of assistance to someone who is thinking of buying their first one in the near future

I bought my first Kindle Paperwhite, with next generation light, at Christmas. Reading reviews before I bought it I wasn't sure whether to buy it or a Kobo Aura HD. However in the end I decided on the Kindle because of the amount of books available from Amazon. Calling it the "Kindle Paperwhite with next generation light" is selling it short because it also has a faster processor and a higher DPI (dots per square inch) ratio than the older model.

I had a number of concerns before buying the Kindle Paperwhite as follows:
The light
The small amount of storage space (only 2 Gb)
The lack of an SD card slot
The size of the Paperwhite screen only 6 inches.
Book download time.

Some reviewers complained that the light was uneven at the bottom of the screen. This has apparently been rectified in the new model as mine is perfectly even. However I would like to be able to turn off the light sometimes. This is not possible on the Paperwhite.

The storage space at 2 Gb is smaller than the Kobo. However the biggest book I bought is only 40 Kb (1049 paper pages) so really 2 Gb is quite a lot of space. It's advertised at being able to hold up to 1100 books. However what they don't say, until you've bought it, is that when there are a lot of books on the Paperwhite it slows down a lot. It's not recommended to try putting that amount of books on it.

I would still like to have a micro SD slot on the Paperwhite to back up books to. However if there was one the chances are that the books would be stored on the micro SD card and left in the Paperwhite so if the Paperwhite was lost or stolen the back up would be with it. There is a micro USB slot which is used for charging the Paperwhite and this allows kindle books to be transferred between my computer and the Paperwhite which is probably a better way of backing up the books anyway. Each kindle book I bought was automatically saved to the Cloud and can be downloaded from there at any time.

The size of the Paperwhite is something I had to get used to. I would still prefer a larger screen for reading but it has the advantage that it can be carried in the inside pocket of my coat for reading anywhere.

The battery life is advertised as up to 8 weeks if used for half an hour per day. Who reads for half an hour a day? I read quite a bit longer and I find the battery lasts for 4 days approx 7 hours per day which is still 28 hours.

The instructions say that to advance the page you should tap the screen anywhere except the top or left. Tapping on the left brings you back a page and the top brings up the toolbar. However I have found that the pages can also be changed forward or back by swiping left or right respectively.

I waited to review the Paperwhite until I had read a few books on it so I could give it a fair review. The biggest problem I found with the Paperwhite was that it sometimes freezes when I try to advance the page. When I try to advance the page 2 or 3 times the font size changes to the next smallest size. I then have to change it back and it works away again. It's possible that it's checking for updates when this happens and while it can be annoying it only happens occasionally, approx every 400 pages.

Download times, for new books, is only a few seconds as you would imagine with the small book files.

So was it worth the money. I think it was. I'm reading more than I used to probably because it's so much easier and faster to get Kindle books than paper ones, I hope this review will be of some help to anyone thinking of buying one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2014 2:53 PM GMT

Casio Pro-Trek Men's Radio Controlled Solar Digital Watch PRW-2500-1ER with Resin Strap

5.0 out of 5 stars Is the PRW-2500 the perfect Protrek Watch?, 3 Jun. 2012
Having previously owned a Protrek Prg-40 I expected great things from the PRW-2500 and I wasn't disappointed. The pictures on the web all showed the home screen of the watch with the tide graph taking up a large proportion of the face. However this can be turned off and replaced with the current year, as part of the date, if preferred. It still appears on the second screen along with the moon phase. The time and date on the second screen can be adjusted to check the tide/moon phase at any time or date without affecting the time and date on the main screen.

The radio control time works perfectly once it's set to the nearest city in it's data bank. (This city is also used to judge the tides). I also have a radio controlled clock and the time on both is exactly the same to the second. The moon phase display is 100% accurate.

The barometer works better than on the Prg-40 and as the graph stays on the home screen it's easy to predict weather changes.

The countdown timer has changed from the Prg-40 also. The earlier model allowed continuous countdown timing which I found useful for starting runners at orienteering events. On the PRW-2500 this is not possible or if it is I can't figure out how to do it.

I have never found electronic compasses to be as accurate as the real thing but they are useful as back up or in emergencies. The compass on the PRW-2500 is very similar to other electronic compasses I have tried including the Prg-40. It is good enough for emergencies or as backup.

The altimeter suffers from the same problems as the earlier protrek models. Because it operates by atmospheric pressure it needs to be set before a trip and will still not be accurate if the atmospheric pressure changes while you're hiking. It does act as a rough guide however.

There are 5 alarms which are easy enough to set. There is a world time screen which allows you to set a second city or UTC time if you need to keep track of time in a second time zone.

There is a battery indicator which shows L, M & H for low, medium and high charge. Mine has remained on high since I got it but it would be useful to have a warning if the battery went low. The watch also goes into battery saving mode, at night, if it's not used. However tilting it up to look at it, moving it or pressing any button returns it to normal mode immediately. The first time this happened I thought I had imagined the screen blank because when I picked it up to look at it the figures were back. The next morning I looked carefully before moving it and then realised what had happened. Of course it tells you in the manual but I'd missed that page.

I have a small wrist but the watch does sit comfortably even if it looks a bit big on it.

It's not the perfect Protrek Watch but it is close to it.

Pocket Guide to Matching the Hatch
Pocket Guide to Matching the Hatch
by Peter Lapsley

5.0 out of 5 stars Pocket Guide to Matching The Hatch Vs Matching The Hatch - Stillwater, River and Stream, 25 Feb. 2012
I couldn't make up my mind whether to buy this book, "Pocket Guide to Matching The Hatch" by Peter Lapsley and Cyril Bennett, or the larger book by Pat O Reilly entitled "Matching the Hatch-Stillwater, River and Stream". In the end I bought both. Since I thought other fishermen might have the same choice to make I'm making a comparison of the 2. I spent a lot of time over the last number of years trying to identify flies and the artificial fly patterns to match them with some successes but a lot more failures. The Pocket Guide gets straight down to business with pictures of the flies and a picture of the pattern side by side along with the times of year to expect them to hatch and a map of the UK and Ireland to show the locations where they hatch. Even better, there's a double page with a chart which shows the flies by month, the patterns to use and the page number of the book on which you can find the information including pictures of the fly and the pattern. This is the kind of book that you'd like to have with you on the bank when you're fishing. It is a nice size for putting in a bag or large pocket but unfortunately it's not laminated.

There's also some information on the life cycle of flies which is useful, but the book concentrates more on matching the hatch. In comparison Pat O Reilly's book goes into much more detail about identifying flies by giving information about their life-cycle, explaining what to look for on a fly in order to classify it and points out that matching the class, of fly, can be as useful as identifying the name of the fly since fish look for certain outline features rather than an exact match. This book also shows pictures of flies and matching patterns, as well as fly-tying details if you tie your own flies, but it's more a book to read at home and if you study it well it does help to catch fish. The book gives a list of 7 flies that should catch fish for the whole season and another 12 that are useful to have. In the past I bought flies that local fishermen recommended and while some of these were good a lot were not. This book narrows down the choice from hundreds or thousands to 19 that work all season.

So which is the better book?. I would say that they compliment each other rather than cover the same information, although there is of course some cross over. I would recommend that both should be got. However if you only wanted to buy one, the choice would depend on the type of person you are. If you just want a quick fix to get catching fish then the pocket book is probably the best choice. If you are the kind of person who likes to read and re-read a book until you get it into your head the Pat O Reilly book gives more information on identifying the fly class even when you can't identify the particular fly and this would be your best choice.

I hope that if you're reading this review it helps you make your decision. Tight lines.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2013 1:46 PM GMT

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Airflo 6th Sense-Slow Intermediate Fly Line WF8/9, 25 Feb. 2012
Having used the Airflo "Impact Floating fly" line and the "40Foot+ Di3 Sinking line" I expected the 6th Sense-Slow Intermediate line to be as good. I was disappointed however. The line feels very light. In fact after I used it the first time I got the packaging out of the bin to check that it was a WF 8/9 and that I hadn't been sent a lighter line by mistake. I also checked to be sure I hadn't connected the wrong end to the reel. It casts well enough, if there's no wind against it, and it sinks nice and slowly but when I change over to the floating line there's a huge difference in the casting power. I'm still not convinced I got the right line even though it was marked on the box as an 8/9. It feels more like a WF5.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Airflo 40 Plus Extreme Fly Line WF9 Di3, 25 Feb. 2012
I was looking for a Di5 line but as I could only find this line in Di3 or Di7 I chose the Di3. I wasn't disappointed. It sinks really fast. The line is made up of two parts, the head(black colour) which is thicker and heavier than a normal weight-forward fly line, and the body (yellow colour) which is thinner and lighter than a normal fly line. In fact the body is more like a backing line. The line casts really well due mainly the extra weight of the head. The body slides through the rings very easily which also helps to get distance. I have not got the 40 foot of line out in any cast but I have got around 15 yards more than I do with other lines. The only fault I find with it is that the thin line, of the body, takes a bit of getting used to when drawing in the line when you're used to the thicker lines but it's a price I'm happy to pay for the longer casts.

Page: 1 | 2