Profile for Tonks1982 > Reviews

Content by Tonks1982

Tonks1982

Vegan Cooking For Beginners: 50 Delicious Meat Free Recipes To Make Eating a Plant Based Diet Quick and Easy (Vegan Cookbooks Book 1)
Price: 1.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not vegan!, 26 Mar 2013
I've been vegan 2 years, didn't really need this to be honest but I downloaded it for kindle when it was on a free offer as I love trying new recipes so I thought, 'What they hey?!'

I was flicking through and some of the recipes said to use honey, parmesan, monteray jack cheese, butter.... I know you can get vegan versions of these but the recipes didn't specify vegan, some of them even said to use butter OR a vegan alternative, so a new vegan or someone cooking for a vegan might be under the impression that these are acceptable ingredients, which of course they are not!

Some of the recipes look interesting, I'll give them a try but this is not a massively inspiring book for new vegans, and with the non vegan ingredients being used it really should be reclassified as a vegetarian cookbook, not a vegan one.

Artisan Vegan Cheese: From Everyday to Gourmet
Artisan Vegan Cheese: From Everyday to Gourmet
by Miyoko Mishimoto Schinner
Price: 12.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential vegan book!, 30 Jan 2013
"Impressed" doesn't even begin to cover how I feel about this book. So far I've made the sharp cheddar and air dried brie, and today I've got started on the fresh mozzarella. If someone had given me these, I'd have been certain they were trying to trick me into eating dairy cheese.

Be warned though; this book isn't for people after instant gratification - you need patience. Even something like the mozzarella, one of the 'quickest' recipes in the book, is going to require at least 15 hours to prepare. But the waiting has sure been worth it so far.

Now ned to find some carrageenan - I want to be able to make melting cheeses next! Imagine the novelty! A vegan cheese that actually melts!

Seriously, I have met many a vegetarian who said they would go vegan if it wasn't for cheese, and as far as store bought cheeses go, I know, the vegan versions don't leave a great deal to be desired. Well this book has you covered, so now there is literally no excuse!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2014 5:53 AM BST