Profile for CakesandBakes > Reviews

CakesandBakes

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Cookie Shape Surprise
Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Cookie Shape Surprise

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and educational toy (once you master the technique of pushing the shapes throught the holes), 4 Dec. 2014
This as a great toy for a child exploring for the first time or for someone who enjoys working out where the puzzle pieces (or 'cookies') go. It's excellent because it incorporates a number of learning interests in small doses (simple shapes, colours and numbers). The numbers allocated relate to the number of sides on the shape which is a lovely little touch. For the adults; there's that moment of excitement when you see your child posting the shapes into the correct holes for the first time!

The holes have little buttons that play comments when the piece is pushed through. There are two settings of recognition: the shapes setting (where it states the shape as it's pushed through) and the numbers setting (where it states the number on the shape as it's pushed through). The top also has a sensor that recognises when you put your hand through and it sings a little song. It's a well made, sturdy toy. My son has dropped, thrown and knocked over this toy on more occasions than I care to remember, but it has not affected it in the slightest and it is still in one piece (we have carpet flooring).

I have two minor gripes.

1. The song it sings is catchy, if somewhat irritating, and it's fairly loud.
2. It can be a bit difficult (especially for little hands) to push the shapes through the holes. It takes a small amount of jiggling and pressure to get it through but once my son mastered this (at 18 months) he had no problem. In fact, it's much easier to push the pieces in flat side first so the open end is the last part to go through.

They don't detract in the slightest from the educational and entertainment value from the point of view of the child. I bought it for my son when he was 11 months and I wasn't convinced that it was a good buy because of the difficulty pushing the shapes through, but he still loves it now at two years old and plays with it all the time. As I said, once he mastered the technique, there was no stopping him. Overall, very pleased with this toy. Highly recommended!

VTech Baby Pooh's Adventure Book
VTech Baby Pooh's Adventure Book

5.0 out of 5 stars I think it's very sweet and most importantly, 4 Dec. 2014
My son loves this book. Bought it for him when he was 9 months old; he's two now and he still likes to flick through it and press all the buttons. He's not been very interested in the story, although, I think it's very sweet and most importantly, the voices aren't annoying (as they can be with kids toys). It follows Pooh as he searches for his honey and on his journey he meets other characters from the Winnie the Pooh stories. The passages on each page are very short so there's no time for the little one to lose interest! Highly recommend for any Winnie the Pooh fans or just as an engaging, interactive toy for your little one.

Keep Calm And Go Fishing - Fine China Mug
Keep Calm And Go Fishing - Fine China Mug
Offered by Paramountbuy

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad Quality, 4 Dec. 2014
Very disappointed with this mug. Fundamentally, it does what it should do - hold liquid. Also, it's a nice size; not too big and not too small. However, I opted for a decorated mug for a reason: the decoration. The picture is faded at the bottom! Maybe they ran out of ink?! Surely, there should be some quality control??? This was bought as a gift but I'd be far too embarrassed to actually give it. Also, the picture showed that it should come in a matching box. There was no accompanying box other than the torn, brown delivery box it was posted in!!! The only plus point is that the mug came packed in polystyrene so there's little chance of breakage but if that's the only good thing you can say about an item, it's probably not worth the time, effort or cost of buying it.

Landon Tyler Wooden Train Advent Calender - Multi-Color
Landon Tyler Wooden Train Advent Calender - Multi-Color

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful advent calendar train - somethig a bit different!, 30 Nov. 2014
Love this advent calendar train!!!! I wanted to get something for my son that he can use for the rest of his life, maybe even pass on, and make it a little more personal rather than just your average cardboard advent calendar. It's extremely well made and feels very good quality. The drawers are quite large so you can fit one nice big thing or a few small things. The good this is, it doesn't have to be chocolate either, you can fill it with anything you want to make it that little bit more special. It's nice and large and I'm looking forward to displaying it on the shelf and helping my 2 year old find his treasure! Paid just over £14 - absolute bargain!

Bébé-Jou Training Cup Adorable Pooh
Bébé-Jou Training Cup Adorable Pooh

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless for my 17 month old, 30 Nov. 2014
As cute as the cup is, it's completely useless because as soon as the cup is tipped, the water comes flowing out. I know it's free-flowing and has no valve but I have another cup just like it and the water doesn't come pouring out when it's tipped.

Munchkin Bath Dunkers
Munchkin Bath Dunkers

5.0 out of 5 stars 18 month old LOVES it!, 30 Nov. 2014
My 18 month old never had any problems with his bath until we bought this because... he didn't want to get out!! He loved throwing the balls into the net and if he had his way, would have stayed in the bath well after the water was freezing so he could continue playing. It's a good quality bath toy and the balls squirt water. Didn't have any problems with it sticking to the wall tiles. We ended up taking it away because he would scream the house down when we tried to get him out of the bath. We'll give it back when he's a little older! :p

Raa Raa the Noisy Lion: A Nap Time Story
Raa Raa the Noisy Lion: A Nap Time Story

5.0 out of 5 stars Cbeebies Fun!, 30 Nov. 2014
My son loves anything Cbeebies and Raa Raa is one of his faves. I didn't find this to be as good as Raa Raa's Quiet time but my 18 month old loves them both and that's the main thing.

Winnie-the-Pooh and the Trouble with Bees
Winnie-the-Pooh and the Trouble with Bees
by Andrew Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent idea for a book. My 18 month old loves it!!, 30 Nov. 2014
Excellent book for an 18 month old that loves Winnie the Pooh, loves number and loves to count! My son likes to read the number on the corner of each page before I ready the writing. He also loves to name the characters as I point them out. Enjoyable and makes for very good interactive reading. Highly recommend!

Circulon Acclaim Triple Pack Frying Pans - Black
Circulon Acclaim Triple Pack Frying Pans - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent frying pans with one (fairly significant) flaw, 30 Nov. 2014
I was so excited when these saucepans arrived (they replaced some older Circulon frying pans that had seen better days). They look good and feel very good quality. The rubber handles give a very good grip. They are also slightly larger than I was expecting which was a bonus. They are extremely none stick - I used a little oil as I have always done, so I don't know if they will be just as non-stick without it.

BUT - there is one quite significant flaw: the medium and small frying pans do not sit on my hob properly!!!! In my case, I found that, because the handles are heavier than the pan, when they are sitting centrally on the hob, they topple and end up sitting diagonally; a potentially serious hazard! I was sooooooo gutted! However, if I sit the pan slightly off-centre (to counter balance) or turn it so that the handle is hovering over one of the metal spokes on the hob, it stays upright. I don't have this problem with the largest pan.

Even thought this is quite a significant flaw, I decided that I was not going to return them because a) the pans themselves are very good for cooking; b) I haven't noted on other reviews that it's been a problem for anyone else, so it may just be dependent on the cooker (or it may just be my cooker! lol). I just need to be mindful when cooking that the pan has to be positioned in a certain way and I'm happy to do that. I paid £40 during the Black Friday sales and I think that's pretty good for three circulon frying pans.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2015 9:29 PM GMT

Superworm
Superworm
by Julia Donaldson

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 30 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Superworm (Paperback)
Love reading this book to my son and he loves hearing it. We're big Julia Donaldson fans so I decided to add this to our library. It's a very good, interesting story and my two-year-old enjoy shouting out the words when I stop reading at certain parts; the rhyming certainly helps with that. Don't find that the slightly dark story (an evil lizard kidnaps Superworm) bothered my son in the slightest, even when I give the lizard an evil voice!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5