Profile for H. Llewelyn > Reviews

Content by H. Llewelyn

H. Llewelyn "Hugh Llewelyn the Welshman" (Bristol, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Mogul Thrash
Mogul Thrash
Offered by Alemannenprog

3.0 out of 5 stars Brass Thrash, 7 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Mogul Thrash (Audio CD)
Having been a huge fan of early John Hiseman's Colosseum (before Chris Farlow) and seen them at Swansea University, I was particularly struck by James Litherland's quintessential blues-jazz-rock voice and I was always frustrated never to have seen or heard any of his post-Colosseum work; I never found the Mogul Thrash album at the time. So when I accidentally came across the CD on Amazon, I bought it blind (or rather deaf), especially when my favourite Colosseum number - Elegy - was on there. But my first several listens of the album were disappointing. There was no track that grabbed me as virtually any Colosseum number did. And when Elegy played, it was 5 mins before I even realised it was playing - the first part is completely new and utterly disconnected to the "classic" section. However, after a few more enforced listenings, I have to say the album has grown on me and Going North, Going South (either version on the album) has become something of a (belated) favourite of mine. But still give me early Colosseum!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2012 4:45 PM GMT

Wheels Of Fire
Wheels Of Fire

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of Spoons -spoon playing at it's best., 7 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Wheels Of Fire (Audio CD)
Really two entirely different albums - the studio one (and I don't think Cream were really a studio band - they were born to play live), and the live one at the Filmore. I bought the vinyl album twice in the 60's & 70's (having worn out the first one); the first side of the live album with Crossroads and Spoonful is probably the best rock-blues album side of all time. It's a shame the other side is an interminable drum solo so popular at the time (hence only 4 stars for the album as whole). I don't care how brilliant a drummer is, he/she should (in case there's any Honeycombs fans reading this) stick to backing the others. Crossroads is quite simply the best "short" live Cream track (short being relative) ever recorded whilst Spoonful is definately the perfect long live Cream track. Although improvised, it is so well played as to seem a written composition. No electric blues-rock fan should not go to his grave without hearing Spoonful.

Live Cream Volume II
Live Cream Volume II

4.0 out of 5 stars Usual Cream - Gold Top, 7 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Live Cream Volume II (Audio CD)
Overall, I prefer Vol I. Usual exciting Cream fare on Vol II although nothing out of the ordinary (for Cream) until last track - Steppin Out. Now this had never been one of my favourite numbers and I have a variety of early versions on various samplers/Best Ofs etc. And the first 6 mins of this live recording confirmed my impression of a passable number but no more. And then. Wow! What on earth was happening! Clapton's guitar playing suddenly climbs to another level - and another - and another. It screams at you in a frenzy of demented paranoia - for another mind blowing 6-7 mins! Never heard Clapton play like that on any other live recording. Not even on Spoonful. And certainly not post-Cream. A wonderful recording.

The End Of The Game
The End Of The Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Mental Breakdown on Acid, 4 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The End Of The Game (Audio CD)
Having been an early Fleetwood Mac fan (and seeing them in the 1969 Bath Festival), I bought this vinyl album when first issued without hearing any tracks. For those expecting an English blues-rock album - forget it. It's like nothing Peter Green did before or since. The album represents that split second when acid-taking results in artistic/musical genius before descending into utter madness. Green seems to be having his nervous breakdown whilst playing his guitar. But the music is sublime. His playing exhibits his usual knack of obtaining maximum feeling from minimum notes - every emotion from frantic excitement to yearning melancholy is displayed. Although the album supposedly represents the life of a tiger or other big cat (which track represents the tiger procreating, I wonder? I have my own views on that), I'm not sure I buy this theory, especially when the whole album was supposedly recorded as one gigantic take subsequently expertly edited. But I concede it could be true as the title track "End of the Game" does sound as if it could be a tiger being hunted and then killed in a climax of Peter Green's screaming guitar (incredible sounds or what?), only to be followed by the dying breaths of a magnificent animal again interpreted through Green's wonderfully sad guitar playing (I may be auditioning for Pseud's Corner, here). The "End of the Game" is definately one of my Desert Island Discs tracks. But if anyone is thinking of buying this who isn't prepared to hear something completely bonkers - forget it. Stick to Brotherhood of Man (sorry about the pomposity there).

Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally underatted, 4 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Interview (Audio CD)
How on earth can this be generally regarded as one of the middling GG albums? For me, it's in the top three GG albums. Great musicianship and melodic. Not to be sneezed at.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3