Profile for Lainy > Reviews

A Nurse's Story
A Nurse's Story
Price: 6.53

3.0 out of 5 stars It's an interesting read, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: A Nurse's Story (Kindle Edition)
Tilda Shalof tells us her story of her time working in Intensive Care Unit (ICU) from starting out to years later as an experienced ICU nurse. We are introduced to some of the people she works with, her team of nurses, doctors, families, patients and the things that have brought them into the unit.

From the perspective of someone who works in the health care sector I think it will be an interesting read to see how this particular unit runs, the situations they face and how they deal with it. To the average person who has no association to this kind of work I think it is an eye opener to see what a shift can entail for a nurse.

The story is certainly interesting although there was a few parts I inwardly shuddered at. For example when Tilda refers to a patient as something other than human (creature may have been the word), whether she felt that or not, as a professional caring for a vulnerable individual I just felt it was disrespectful and very wrong. Highlighting some of the things the nurses say to cope with the horrific things they have to see and carry on from I think could have also been left out or watered down. Again professionals within that type of work appreciate that often humor is the only way to survive some of the horrors they face, however to someone who has only ever lost a loved one in a hospital they will be upset I think by some of the things written. Some of the tales of the story are amazing to think what people can come through, how far medicine and medical intervention can do and whether it should be done. It certainly makes you think and wonder how things would be if you were in the situations that come up within the book.

It is a good paced book and is certainly an interesting read, I'm not sure I would rush out to buy something else she has written but I would read it if I came across it, 3/5 for me this time.

I'm Watching You
I'm Watching You
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good crime story, 25 May 2014
This review is from: I'm Watching You (Kindle Edition)
Lindsay O'Neil has demons from her past, a recently failed marriage and just trying to keep busy. She throws everything she has into her job, helping women to get away from their abusive husbands and stay safe. When a dead body is found at the shelter and then a grisly gift in a bunch of flowers arrive, Lindsay has to face her estranged husband and come to terms with being targeted by a killer who thinks he is helping her in her mission.

This is a great wee story with a few stories as well as the main one of the dead bodies and killers contact with Lindsay. The investigating cop just had to be Lindsay's husband which brings problems and emotions in itself. As the police and media start looking at Lindsay, details of a past horror are dug up and Lindsay finds herself being considered as a murderer.

It is a fairly fast paced book, a tangled web mixed with murder, conflict, love, betrayal and a past that can never be moved on from if not dealt with. I really liked this authors style of writing and found myself reading every opportunity I got. I will be tracking down some more of this author, 4/5 for me this time.

Dead Ringer
Dead Ringer
Price: 2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars keeps you reading, 25 May 2014
This review is from: Dead Ringer (Kindle Edition)
Kendall Shaw is a reporter, ruthless and does what it takes to get her story. However, being a survivor of a serial killer and a near death experience her outlook and approach has changed. Jacob Warwick is a homicide detective, linked to Kendall from the serial killer who almost killed her. On opposite sides of the job, they keep falling into each others paths with a mixture of emotions toward the other. Women are dying, a serial killer is on the loose. They bear a striking resemblance to Kendall, is it a coincidence or is Kendall at risk once again and how far will Warwick go to keep her safe?

This is a great crime story, the pace is fast and there are surprises and twists throughout the story. If you have read the previous book you will recognize a few of the characters, I read the previous book last year and I remembered a few things and characters which isn't like me. It is a busy story, lots of different things going on with the characters. Kendall for example is dealing with her boss who is also her ex who has decided maybe they aren't over. Kendall is having nightmares that are becoming more frequent and she can't make head nor tales of it. She has covered many murders yet something about this one is having a profound effect on her.

There is attraction and sexual chemistry between some of the characters, there is some sex within the book although not is reels of graphic content however it is worth noting it is in there. Overall it kept my attention, pulls you in from the prologue and keeps you guessing along the way as to why the killer is doing what he is doing and who is it. 3/5 for me, I would read this author again, she has a good style and engages the reader quickly.

Womens Long Sleeve Boyfriend Pocket Cardigan / Size 8 - 14 (SM - UK (8-10), White)
Offered by Candy Girl Clothing
Price: 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 24 May 2014
I bought three of these, red, white and black. My friend had bought a similar product so I thought I would chance my luck. The material is that smooth stretchy kind but hugs the body (in the arms) so it fits nicely whilst loose around the body. They will go with just about anything and will be ideal for taking on holiday or on warm nights as they are thin in material.

Brilliant value for money, really good material and I would definitely buy from this seller again. Parcel was also very well wrapped and all items had tags.

Gone Girl
Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn
Price: 3.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Good thriller, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
The tale opens with Nick Dunne, husband of Amy Elliott, on the day Amy goes missing. We have a short chapter covering Nicks morning, the day of their fifth wedding anniversary, before he hears Amy has disappeared. The next chapter is a diary entry, from some years previous, with Amy when she meets Nick for the first time. This is how the story is laid out, chapters going between Nick and Amy, past and present as we get a build up and view of their relationship until both parties are caught up to present day. Amy has gone missing, the house shows signs of a struggle and Nick quickly comes under scrutiny from the police and eventually the press. Amy's diary entries gives the reader a different look at the relationship, from the early days and then jumping through months and years until caught up to the present. Nick is behaving inappropriately and weird for a mans whose wife has disappeared, and there seems to be more to this story than meets the eye.

Despite the tale jumping through time periods and two characters, the chapters are well signposted and the reader can follow what is happening very quickly. Amy seems like a likable character at the beginning of the story however as you get into the meat of the tale, neither Nick, nor Amy are particularly easy to like characters. The pace of the story is set well and the reader is drawn in very quickly, I read this story in one day as I was dying to find out what happened to Amy and was Nick involved?

It is a fabulous thriller, I didn't see the twists and turns coming and think the diary entries from Amy are very well done, although this isn't a format I like normally in stories. This was my first time reading this author and I would read her again. Your interest is captured quickly, your guessing who done it, what happened and keep going for one more chapter in case you find out. The chapter length makes this easy to do so as they are fairly short which also helps you to race through. My only gripe would be considering the pace and depth throughout, the ending was a little weak in comparison however it is still a great psychological thriller worth checking out. 4/5 for me and I will be tracking down more by this author.

The Edinburgh Dead
The Edinburgh Dead
Price: 3.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow going in parts but good, 17 May 2014
The opening of the story grabs you, experiments and bodies being cut open in a theater in front of the public. Manipulation of the bodies to make them move after death. morbid fascination. Flip on to 1828, there has been a grisly murder and officer Adam Quire is on the case. The mans throat has been torn out and his identity is unknown. When Adam starts digging deeper he uncovers things that don't make sense, can't be possible, supernatural elements and someone with money is not happy with Quire. The investigation will cost him everything if he doesn't relent but for Quire, justice and truth must be followed at all costs, even his life.

Oh the beginning of this story was so good, bodies, experiments and then a murder. However is soon slowed its pace, the word zombie is thrown about however I disagree in that Frankenstein, in my eyes, was not what I would call a zombie. There is occult, spells, black magic, reanimation, murder and downright freakishness within the tale. We also get a glimpse of the war Quire was in which gives an understanding of his character and why he pursues the course of justice, to any cost.

The insight into the police and how they treat each other was quite something although I would need to read some books to see if it is an accurate representation however it made for good reading. The book also has mention of some old famous Edinburgh historical characters which was good and well incorporated into the story.

Despite being quite slow going at parts, other parts really gripped the reader and I felt whilst it wasn't amazing, it was a pretty good tale. 3/5 for me this time and I would read this author again.

The Visitors
The Visitors
Price: 7.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong debut, 10 May 2014
This review is from: The Visitors (Kindle Edition)
The story opens with our main character, Adeliza (Liza) Golding and takes us from the moment she is born up to and throughout her adult life. After birth she describes seeing the visitors, which turn out to be ghosts although she doesn't cover too much detail here. We are then told about how she comes to be deaf and blind and how this affects her behavior as she is growing up. She is angry, aggressive and almost feral in her frustration and loneliness until she is 6 years old and a chance encounter with Lottie changes everything. Lottie teaches Liza how to communicate which impacts upon her quality of life and opens up a new world for her. The book is then focused upon her becoming an adult, the war and how this affects her life and relationships.

The first part of this book moved me, if you have a family member or friend who is blind or deaf I think you may feel the same. Having someone who is so isolated and being helpless to do anything about it, I could appreciate how that must be for Liza's father although that isn't heavily featured in the book. How Lottie manages to change Liza's whole life, with patience and giving her the means to communicate was beautiful. Her experiences and how everything changes through having access to talk to others and seeing the character bloom was just wonderful.

The next part focuses on her interactions as an adult, her character growth, war and the visitors. As a child she meets and is taken with Caleb, Lottie's twin brother. As war is coming he is caught up in that and writes home to Liza and Lottie about what he sees and experiences which takes the novel down a darker path. Whilst the letters gave a stark look at the horrors seen whilst out in the field during war and they were interesting, they were a world away from the style and theme of the beginning of the book. I think some readers may like this contrast however for me I would have preferred it to be delivered maybe in a different format?

The ghost aspect is quite different, Liza isn't sure how she can see them when others cannot. What is the purpose to it, why her? Some questions are answered but not all and whilst this generally irks me when I am reading, I didn't mind the unanswered questions as you discovered answers along with Liza and accept her view point on it all, well I did.

I think this is a well written debut novel and can't describe how, on a personal level, watching the beginning of a new world opening for Lottie warmed me. It was a delight to read and I don't think I have read anything like it before. This writer has so much more to share with the reading world and I hope she continues to write, I will certainly be looking for any new material from her, 4/5 for me this time.

The Shining Girls
The Shining Girls
Price: 1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Well it's different, 8 May 2014
This review is from: The Shining Girls (Kindle Edition)
I don't think I opened this appreciating it was a time travel book so I was really confused for a good bit of it. Reading other reviews I don't think it sounds like it was clearly highlighted although I read it on the kindle and very rarely these days do I read the blurb. Harper Curtis is our killer, the book opens with him in the 1930s visiting one of his future victims. He calls them his shining girls and always goes back to meet them when they are children and visits again to murder them as adults in the future. The book bounces between the 1930s and the 1990s, there are a few characters and each chapter has their name at the top so you know who it is about. Kirby should be dead, she is one of the shining girls who Curtis took care of, or so he thought. A game of cat and mouse begins when he realizes she is still alive and Kirby knows, despite details not making any logical sense, that her would be killer is out there and she means to stop him.

This book took a while to get to grips with, it was interesting enough although the time and character jumps took a bit of getting used to and sorting through. Once I realized what was going on I got on a lot better with the story. Harper is driven to contact and then later, through time gaps, kill them as they are the shining girls and have to die. Anyone who gets in his way is also in peril however they are his main focus. He isn't a particularly crafty killer, barring the fact he can time travel but the murders themselves are hideously brutal and gorey.

I think the idea for this book is a really good one, I read one by Joe Hill that was a similar theme, chosen ones to die and time travel however this one needs something more. I think had there been an explanation up front of why they are chosen and everything that follows after then the book would have, for me, been much more enjoyable. I don't like when I have to come up with the hows and whys, I know some readers do, I also don't like to be left with questions and hanging. That said, the way the characters and events are linked is done well which is why the rating for this one is 3/5. I had never read her before and whilst I would try her work again, I won't be rushing out to buy them all up. I believe she has a new one coming out in July, 2014 so will keep an eye on the reviews for that one.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Price: 3.49

3.0 out of 5 stars I liked it however it was slow in parts, 7 May 2014
The book is set in and around 1800s, in an altered version of England about two magicians, Mr Norrell and Jonathan Strange. A group of theoretical magicians often meet up and discuss magic but no one ever practises it any more, apart from Mr Norrell. The magicians reach out to him to get him to show that practical magic can be done, debating whether it should or should not be done. What follows is Mr Norrell being the only practical magician until Mr Strange comes along. The magicians each contribute to efforts in the war and make a name for themselves whilst initially working together in partnership then veering away from each other. The magicians could not be more different in their attitude to magic, personal approach and outlook. Their relationship breaks down and everything they hold dear close is at risk.

This is a very well written debut novel, the world Clarke creates with spells and enchanted stories is spectacular. There is a lot of footnotes throughout the novel, if the characters refer to a story or a person a footnote usually follows. Some spread over a page or two, sometimes longer and whilst they were really interesting different stories or explanations I did find them quite distracting after a while.

The magic that is performed is impressive and would be wonderful to see on the big screen. The characters are so well carved out you get a good feel and impression, very early on. Throughout the book there is also quite a few drawings which I thought was a wonderful touch and I haven't seen anything like that before. Overall a good read, albeit I honestly felt had there been so many different stories within the footnotes that were good but had more time been invested with Mr Norrell & Mr Strange it would have been more than a three star for me. I would love this author to do a follow up novel to see what the magicians are doing now and how their story unfolded. 3/5 for me and I would definitely read a follow up if she ever created one.

It's Raining Men
It's Raining Men
Price: 3.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab wee holiday read, 7 May 2014
This review is from: It's Raining Men (Kindle Edition)
Three friends, May, Lara & Clare who, despite working in the same company don't get to see each other very often so they decided to have a holiday away. A beautiful ten days in an expensive spa, rest, relaxation and chat, what could go wrong. They end up in Ren Dullem, the wrong village, no spa in sight and the locals are very hostile. The girls are all going through some personal issues and the last thing they need is aggression and rudeness. However, the more time they spend in the village the more they notice. There aren't many females, the locals seem to be on edge and there is more to this wee village than the girls could have imagined.

I do enjoy reading Milly Johnson, she is definitely the kind of author you can just race through the story. The women are good friends although initially they are reluctant to divulge the recent changes in their relationships and put a face on to have a good holiday. The villagers are mostly hostile and rude to the girls which, I think, most of us can relate to from at least one of our past holiday experiences. Clare bonds with one of the elderly residents within the town and slowly discovers some of the town secrets.

There are other characters who play different important parts to the story but, as I don't do spoiler reviews it is hard to go into any kind of depths with them. It is a good paced story with lots of wee shocks, secrets and revelations along the way. If your looking to try a new author I would recommend Johnson, light, easy to read but has substance even though it would be filed as a chick lit and this is as good a book to start with as any. 4/5 for me this time and I will be reading more of this author.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20