Profile for memyself > Reviews

Content by memyself

memyself

Leos Janacek: The Cunning Little Vixen (Opera Bastille Paris/Dennis Russell Davies)[DVD] [2008] [2009]
Dvd ~ Janacek
Price: 24.26

4.0 out of 5 stars A delight., 2 Mar 2014
The production captures the essence of the piece beautifully. The inventiveness of the animals costumes and movements are perfect. The rooster should take an extra bow. His costume explained why the hens wouldn't want to leave home.

Strauss: Die Frau ohne Schatten (Mariinsky Orchestra / Valery Gergiev) [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Avgust Amonov [Emperor]
Price: 29.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment., 2 Mar 2014
I'm cutting to the chase. This wonderful opera was basically a disappointment. The supernateral world unconvincing and the updated modern settings at first what a clever idea was in the end dull. Not of course as appalling and disasterous as the Christof Loy production but still dull. The best Frau's at the moment are Wolfgang Sawallisch followed by Georg Solti.

Strauss: Die Frau Ohne Schatten (Opus Arte: OA1072D) [DVD] [2010]
Strauss: Die Frau Ohne Schatten (Opus Arte: OA1072D) [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Stephen Gould
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 17.81

1.0 out of 5 stars Die Frau Ohnne Anything!, 10 Feb 2013
I read the reviews and in spite of accepting it was going to be "interesting" nothing quite prepared me for what is the most outrageous self indulgent travesty I have watched for a long time. I have both the Solti and Sawallisch DVD'S as well as two really old terribly reproduced DVD'S with Nilsson/Wennberg (with Swedish subtitles) and Jones/Behrens (French subtitles) - which are still 100 times more engaging in spite of (I cannot stress enough) the most primitive and barely acceptable recordings.
I started watching and lasted half of ACT 1 and then came back to it a day later (unheard of for such a wonderful opera) - I thought I would watch the bonus to get some insite into what was going on. I watched as I feared a self indulgent diatribe particularly by the director (I use the term loosely) Loy about "meaning" and zzzzzzz.
My main gripe other than everything is that having people on stage so disengaged just aimlessly watching, waiting their cue, drinking tea spills over to the audience. Can you imagine how you would feel if the person next to you was texting on their mobile or the one two rows in front was reading their programme while all this high drama was going on? I would suggest you'd be furious but here so many pseudo's are going, "Oh my God, how wonderfully illuminating" - a case of, "The King's New Clothes" I would suggest. Added to that a Nurse looking more like Hilda Baker than the embodiment of evil. Followed by the whole female chorus appearing the same: as if Ms. Baker had cloned not only herself but also her male stooge. Looking into their compact mirrors and smiling at what they saw must have taken some rehearsing. I was half expecting, "She knows you know" appearing in the English subtitles.
Singing was powerful. But I still had a problem with the Empress relentlessly walking around with a look of enigmatic constipation on her face.
Over a period of five days I got to the end. The only thing worth waiting for was the curtain call and the booing that greeted the sham Loy. Trust me I joined in. If I had had a egg in my hand I would now be wiping it off the screen. Terrible. Terrible Terrible.
Sadly One is not allowed to give a nil point to this ..... this (cannot think of a word that is printable) - so I have given it 1 star. Buy it at your peril.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2014 3:22 PM GMT

Call of the Hunter [DVD]
Call of the Hunter [DVD]
Dvd ~ Don McCorkindale
Price: 14.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Hunt Down This Hunter, 6 Nov 2011
This review is from: Call of the Hunter [DVD] (DVD)
Really enjoyed this micro budget chiller. Well acted and clever script made this a refreshing change from the "more dosh more gore" approach to this genre of films nowadays.