Profile for M. Bryant > Reviews

Against All Things Ending: The Last Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant
Against All Things Ending: The Last Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the last one, 17 Nov 2013
Only a small criticism of this installment. A bit long... mainly because of Linden getting a bit overwhelmed emotionally... again... and again... and again! I know she's going through hell but do we need to be reminded every few paragraphs???!
Apart from that it's more of the spectacular and engrossing story telling you've come to expect from the previous books.

Fatal Revenant: The Last Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Fatal Revenant: The Last Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Price: 6.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Not his best... but still very good!, 5 Nov 2013
I have read and loved all of the previous TC books. I didn't dislike this one either... the style of writing is rich as always and the story engaging... it's just that there were two things that were really annoying.
Possible little spoilers coming...
1) He introduces an incredibly powerful new race never before heard of??? Felt a bit like Superman suddenly appearing! How did they never get a mention before?!!
2) The first half of the book depends on Linden being too stupid to ask a couple of pertinent questions to confirm/deny her doubts! P-leeeeeeez! She isn't!!

Would have given this 3 stars but I just love the story too much.

The Runes Of The Earth: The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (Last Chronicles/Thomas Covenan)
by Stephen Donaldson
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!, 19 Aug 2013
I read the 1st and 2nd Chronicles some years ago and had been putting off starting the final chronicles until the last book was imminent so that I could read them back to back. Perhaps it is the passage of time which has slightly numbed my awe at Donaldson's writings or perhaps he has just got even better?!! Either way, this has been one of the most enjoyable books I have ever read. I won't try to critique it as I could not do it justice. I simply cannot praise it highly enough.

Kingston Technology Micro SDHC 32GB Memory Card
Kingston Technology Micro SDHC 32GB Memory Card
Price: 11.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed after 3 months, 19 Aug 2013
I have bought Kingston memory before and not had a problem. Indeed this card worked fine for 3 months but then just suddenly died. I would like to consider it a one-off but reading other reviews highlights that this has happened repeatedly for other people too and therefore may indicate a quality control or manufacturing problem?

Pink Metal iPod MP3 Earphones
Pink Metal iPod MP3 Earphones
Offered by Best Deals Uk
Price: 2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain bling!, 14 May 2013
I got these for my girlfriend as I knew she'd love the glitzy look (and she does!).
They work well, give clear sound and look the biz.
A bargain at the price.

Samsung I8190 Galaxy S3 Mini - Dark Purple Leather FLip Skin Case Cover Pouch + Free Screen Protector & Dark Purple Mini Compact Stylus Pen From GB Online Sales
Offered by GB Online Sales
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A bargain!, 14 May 2013
For 2.49 I got the case, a screen protector and a mini-pen.
The case is a perfect fit, looks good, gives perfect access to the various buttons/sockets and feels well made.
I had trouble getting the screen protector on without bubbles so gave up in the end.
The mini-pen plugs into the earphone socket so you don't lose it and works well. But what about when you've got your earphones in? I felt it should attach to the case somehow. However I'm not really bothered about using it as I have quite small fingers.
So all-in-all I'm only really using the case but at this price I still feel it's a bargain and if you personally need the pen and have the patience to get the protector on flat then even better!

Meltdown
Meltdown
by Ben Elton
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Why the negative reviews???, 11 Mar 2012
This review is from: Meltdown (Paperback)
I've read all Elton's previous books and found this one to be more of the same witty, sharp, clever writing. Was perhaps a little slow in the first half but makes up for it with a roller coaster second half. I perhaps expected Elton to rail against the excesses of the past few years in the financial sector but instead the book is a pleasing, believable story of people who did well for themselves and had it all come crashing down. The main characters were likable and you couldn't help but feel sorry for them by the end. Oh, and I laughed out loud! Lots!!

Blind Faith
Blind Faith
by Ben Elton
Price: 15.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Frightening, 5 Jun 2008
This review is from: Blind Faith (Hardcover)
A frightening vision of the future where the stupidity of religion has (at least for that moment) won out over reason.
What's really worrying is that these people already exist in the American Christian Taliban. Let's hope the Traffords of the real world (or even the apathy of the masses) will forever keep these idiots out of power.
An easy, thought-provoking, intelligent read. Keep them coming Mr. Elton!

Sandworms of Dune
Sandworms of Dune
by Brian Herbert Kevin J. Anderson;

4.0 out of 5 stars It seems that endings are important too..., 25 Jan 2008
This review is from: Sandworms of Dune (Paperback)
Well actually I'd give this about 3.5 stars but as I felt that others have been unduly harsh I thought I'd be a little generous!

The last two books were probably the weakest of the Herbert/Anderson Dune collaborations, certainly not as strong as the House or Jihad series.
However they told the tale in an engaging and easily read manner and I think they are a fitting end to the Dune series.
The characters were developed enough to actually care about them and although some may have found the ending not to their liking, I thought it was as good as any, and they've done an adequate job with Frank Herbert's final notes.

Some criticise these new novels for not being in the same style as Frank Herberts originals but to me that's just a stupid comment. They are different people, so of course their writing styles will be different! Some people may even prefer the somewhat 'easier read' than the originals!

I'm not really looking forward to the proposed new novels back in the middle of the originals and I think the authors may (justly?) be accused of just trying to squeeze more money out of the franchise if they continue. You have to know when to stop, and I think they should stop now.

The God Delusion
The God Delusion
by Richard Dawkins
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars A Glorious Read, 14 Dec 2007
This review is from: The God Delusion (Paperback)
A glorious read, possibly destined to become a classic book of our time.
Dawkins' arguments are clear and thoroughly convincing. I cannot believe that any neutral minded, intelligent person could read this and not conclude that God/religion is any different from fairies or other mythology.
It is sad that large numbers of religious people are so indoctrinated that they will still refuse to even entertain the truth let alone see it in all its glory. It is even sadder that religion has, and still does, hold mankind back. Without it, who knows, we might even have colonised the stars by now.
Hopefully, centuries from now, historians will look back on this time as a turning point in human history, triggered by this book, where we discard all mythology and embrace reason. What a wonderful time that will be.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2008 9:42 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3