Profile for kandalure > Reviews

kandalure

Gone Girl
Gone Girl

3.0 out of 5 stars Left with Mixed Feelings, 24 July 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
I picked up this book because at a certain point I started seeing it everywhere I went. I figured that there had to be something to it to generate so much hype. I proceeded to read it, thouroughly engrossed until the end, when I was left feeling thouroughly confused as to how I truly felt about it and here is why.

What the book does well:
- The alternating narrative works very well to slowly unravel the story from multiple angles.
- The book is truly compelling and causes the reader to want to continue to read to find out what happens next
- The book holds shocking secrets that truly surprise the reader.

What I didn't care for:
- The sadistic way the characters treated each other and the implication that there was a normality to these kinds of actions.
- I felt that the ending was lacking. After all of the action and intrigue of the story, I felt like the end was a let down.
- The true crimes that occur go largely unpunished and unacknowledged.

All that said, this is a good book if you like suspense, or if you need a lighter read to help enjoy the lovely summer weather.

Night Train
Night Train

2.0 out of 5 stars The Night Train, 21 July 2013
This review is from: Night Train (Kindle Edition)
To be perfectly honest, the only reason I read this book was for a class I was taking. That said, I did not care for this book at all.

First of all, the book was written by a Brit, but is supposed to take place in America. As an American myself, I found it hard to believe the setting because of slips of the tongue like mentioning CID (which is not an American term).

Secondly, the first sentence of the book - I am a police - (and the theme that carries on from there) doesn't sound right. Apparently the author hung out with some American cops and they told him that this is how they refer to themselves. I have never heard this lingo before, and I'm not sure if the cops were pulling his leg or this is a term specific to a certain area or precinct, but it put me off.

Thirdly, I found all of the characters to be overly self-indulgent and self-centred - especially Jennifer. When I finished the book, I was bothered that I had wasted my time on a bunch of people that didn't seem to act in logical ways and seemed only interested in their views and how their actions effected other people.

I would not recommend this book and it would take something pretty extraordinary to convince me to read another of Martin Amis' books.

Yes Man Film Tie-In: The Amazing Tale of What Happens When You Decide to Say - Yes

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes!, 21 July 2013
What happens when you say yes? This is Danny's hilarious story about the large consequences of such a little word.

This book is one of the funniest things I have ever read, and it definitely had me laughing out loud in many places. Which makes it not the best book if you are trying to sneak in some reading at work like I was. Seriously though, this book does a great job of making you think about the possibilities that exist in the world and how we can all be a little more open to what comes our way.

I highly recommend this to anyone who is looking for a lighter, entertaining read. And I am looking forward to reading more of Danny Wallace's work.

An Arrangement of Light (Kindle Single)
An Arrangement of Light (Kindle Single)

3.0 out of 5 stars An Arrangement of Light, 19 July 2013
I decided to read this Single because I loved the authors novel, A History of Love. This story is told by the secretary of a famous landscape arcitect, and I found the prose to be as lovely and lyrical as her other work.

I enjoyed the story, but I was left wanting more when it was complete. It might be the structure of the shorter story, but I wasn't nearly as impressed as I have been with her full length novels.

A nice taster of Nicole Krauss' work if you are looking to experience her style.

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike Book 1)
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Ending!, 19 July 2013
I was very curious to read this, even though I didn't care for A Casual Vacancy. I have to say that this book was much better than I thought it would be, even though I don't typically read this genre. The story is engaging, the characters are interesting and the ending is a surprise.

The pace of the book was a bit slower than I would have liked, but it was interesting enough to keep me reading. I was worried that because of the genre it might be too violent, or too scary for my tastes, but it ended up not being either of those things.

May We Be Forgiven
May We Be Forgiven

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read in years, 24 Jun. 2013
AM Homes has written a deeply moving book about the consequences of our actions and our desire for redemption.

I read a lot of books and I am extremly critical of them, but I was deeply engrossed in this one from start to finish. In fact, I started it over immediatly after finishing and I never do that.

I thought that the writing was powerful and accessible, though maybe a little heavy on the Nixon sub-plot.

Thouroughly enjoyable and I defiinitly am recommending this book to all of the other readers I know.