Profile for Pearl191 > Reviews

Pearl191

The Warden
The Warden

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 13 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Warden (Kindle Edition)
I have never read any Trollope before, but it was recommended by a friend who had just discovered him. I found this book absolutely gripping and read it in one sitting. The characters are well-drawn and the book takes you back in time.
I would highly recommend it.

Filofax Finsbury Personal Organiser for Paper 95x171mm Personal Pink Ref 025315
Filofax Finsbury Personal Organiser for Paper 95x171mm Personal Pink Ref 025315

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect in Pink!, 1 Nov. 2012
So useful, can't imagine how I managed without it. It looks 'informal' in pink, so not out of place sorting social arrangements, as well as business meetings. Love it!

My Animals and Other Family
My Animals and Other Family

5.0 out of 5 stars Lively account of a young life, 19 Sept. 2012
Knowing nothing of the horse racing world, I bought this book as I am always impressed by the professionalism of Clare Balding, as witnessed during the recent Olympics and Paralympics. I was immediately transported into her world of horses and dogs, both of which she has loved all her life. Growing up with a race horse training father, it seems, perhaps, natural that Clare should eventually be a jockey, but it was her spirit and determination that took her to a Championship triumph, after a rather 'difficult' childhood.

This book is a thoroughly entertaining read, which I enjoyed very much.

My only gripe is that in the Kindle version, the last chapter was repeated!!

My First Coup d'Etat: Memories from the Lost Decades of Africa
My First Coup d'Etat: Memories from the Lost Decades of Africa

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful descriptions of life in Africa, 7 Sept. 2012
This is a really evocative book, giving details of a way of life, now gone. I really enjoyed reading this book, but the Kindle version was marred by the title page being repeatedly included.

A Brief History of the Royal Flying Corps in World War One (Brief Histories)
A Brief History of the Royal Flying Corps in World War One (Brief Histories)
by Ralph Barker

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed but very readable history of the RFC, 7 Sept. 2012
I bought this book as we are about to go on a trip exploring the RFC in WW1 , in which my grandfather took part (fortunately surviving the war). I knew very little about the RFC, and was horrified at the tremendous loss of very young and inexperienced lives, and deeply impressed by the understated bravery of the young men who flew these early machines.

The book, whilst very detailed, is still an enjoyable read, and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to know about the RFC, which is a rather under-remembered part of the war.