Profile for Johnny > Reviews

Content by Johnny

Johnny "Johnny McSporran" (UK)

Real Cooking
Real Cooking
by Nigel Slater

1.0 out of 5 stars Large roast chicken in 1 hr, I don't think so..., 22 April 2012
This review is from: Real Cooking (Paperback)
...probably why it ended up undercooked and ruined the dinner...unfortunately cooking times are not made clear in this book, I allowed nearly double the recommended 15 mins plus 45 mins as I was sure a cooking time of 1hr wasn't going to work...and still manky and bleeding....and the 'roast' potatoes were horrid when cooking them with the chicken. Did anybody actually test this way of cooking a chicken/roast potatoes? Very disappointing as I've really enjoyed his recipes in The Guardian.

Mouses (An Oddfish book)
Mouses (An Oddfish book)
by John Spring

5.0 out of 5 stars A sparkling read for young, old and er, middle-aged, 2 Mar 2011
This is a joyous book from cover to cover. Indeed the covers are joyous in themsleves as they are thicker than all the pagey things in between. There are many words in the book about mouses that live on (or under) the London Underground. Indeed you can see theses mouses yourselves as they scuttle hither and thither, flitting between the tracks and gathering up all your kebab salad that has escaped from the soggy split in your pitta bread. It is an adventure for children primarily,...although it is a tad dark in those tunnels, so best keep the light on after reading. The age of the reader can be anything from 9 upwards, but 82 is probably a bit old.

Homage to Barcelona
Homage to Barcelona
by Colm Tóibín

4.0 out of 5 stars One of those classic texts to read before visiting a city, 3 Feb 2011
This review is from: Homage to Barcelona (Paperback)
Like 'Venice' by Jan Morris (another classic 'city' text') this book was written some time ago, hence don't use it for bar and restaurant recommendations! However like 'Venice' this book should be enjoyed with the objective of putting the city and its turbulent history into context..and for that purpose its engaging read that sculpts the character of the city and its people before your eyes.I particularly valued the chapter on the city's architectural development between 1880 and 1914, and more to the point how such a fertile ground for the erction of some of the world's most stunning buildings came about. Indeed I mapped out the buildings described and saw them all when I visited the city. A great read about a great city.

Canon IXUS 105 Digital Camera - Silver (12.1 MP, 4x Optical Zoom) 2.7 Inch PureColor LCD
Offered by Technomobiles

4.0 out of 5 stars Usual excellent quality in the Ixus package, 18 Dec 2010
I bought this to be used by a department at work. I'm a big Ixus fan and use an Ixus 80, hence why I got them a camera I understood fully! I got to use the 105 for a night-time shoot so had some user experience too...Usual Ixus strong points apply to this 105...strong/sturdy build, clear ease of use, good display, great image quality. Only grouse I would have is the slider button on the back which doesn't look that strong (one of them broke on one of my earlier Ixus models)and also the slider switch doesn't have the normal Camera/Video/Play configuration which is a bit irksome as this was the best configuration for rapid switching!
However, that aside, nothing much to complain about and usual top quality...keep it up Canon!

Velbon MAXi 347GB Tripod and Case - Black
Velbon MAXi 347GB Tripod and Case - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars good travelling tripod but flimsier than I thought it would be, 18 Dec 2010
Bought this for use in one of our departments at work, bit disappointed when it arrived as i thought it would be fairly substantial....however if you're buying it as a suitcase tripod I'd say it would do the job nicely. Amazon-lover that I am, maybe tripods are best bought in a shop so you can really get a feel for what you're buying.

Atlantic R&B 1947-1974 - Vol.5: 1961-1965: The Platinum Collection
Atlantic R&B 1947-1974 - Vol.5: 1961-1965: The Platinum Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Soul for Non Soul Men!, 18 Dec 2010
I'm buying each one of these series titles periodically and they're all absololute gems. I'm not really a 'soul' man but if you like the music in films like The Blues Brothers you'll 'get' these cds...great driving sounds!