Profile for Karen E. Proctor > Reviews

Content by Karen E. Proctor

Karen E. Proctor (London UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
A Perilous Question
A Perilous Question

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful thriller and thought provoking, 20 Jun. 2016
I think the best thrillers have something to say as well as being a good read and I think this is the case with A Perilous Question. Both plot and characters are well developed to create genuine insight into the story’s theme and I suspect the author Barry Finlay did a considerable amount of research on the subject as this comes through strongly in his writing. Far from being your archetypical thriller it combines action and suspense whilst leaving you much to think about which the hallmark of a good book is always.

The Mistletoe Haunting: Legend of Minster Lovell
The Mistletoe Haunting: Legend of Minster Lovell

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 20 Jun. 2016
Based on a famous poem The Mistletoe Haunting takes the best of this genre and adds plenty of original twists to make it an extraordinarily good read. The writing is quintessentially English and strongly evokes the ambience of the story to make it very easy to imagine. As far as the ghost/chill factor goes, it isn’t overplayed, making one of the more intelligent ghost stories I have read. A lot can be drawn from inference as well as what you are told and this really maintains the suspense to the very end.

A Second, Less Capable, Head: And Other Rogue Stories
A Second, Less Capable, Head: And Other Rogue Stories

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo Mr. Hanna!, 17 Jun. 2016
Some of favourite short stories come from the brilliant Ray Bradbury and having read this wonderful anthology from James Hanna I would put him in the same category. I appreciate all fiction is subjective but I don’t think you will find many better than these. The stories are just the right length, each on is intriguing, many are insightful and the satirical touches are simply sublime. Bravo Mr. Hanna!

Wanted: An Honest Man (The Lindsey Lark Series Book 1)
Wanted: An Honest Man (The Lindsey Lark Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite reads of the year so far., 17 Jun. 2016
This one had me hooked with the opening chapter which has to be every woman’s worst nightmare. It sets the scene for a great story and had me falling in love with Lindsey. Smart and beautiful you would think love would come easy to her but events set her on a course which proves a real adventure. What I loved about those book, apart from the great writing, is that it injects the right balance of humour into the mix. One of my favourite reads of the year so far.

Ready For Flynn, Part 1 : A Rockstar Romance  (The Ready For Flynn Series)
Ready For Flynn, Part 1 : A Rockstar Romance (The Ready For Flynn Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I want from a good book!, 17 Jun. 2016
A hot explosive story that grabbed my attention from the start. This was my first book from this author and it certainly won’t be my last. Good story, great characters, everything I want from a good book.

Passing Through Brandiss
Passing Through Brandiss

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked from the start, 22 May 2016
I got hooked on the books of Patricia Yager Delagrange with her first release, Taken Away, and have yet to read one I haven’t thoroughly enjoyed. Picking a favourite would be hard, but Passing Through Brandiss has something extra which is hard to pin down, but it’s there from the opening chapter. You know the characters are going to come to life, you know you are going to feel for them, but Annie’s character has to be the best yet. She’s vulnerable, but she’s a survivor and I think there is a little bit of her in all of us. This makes for a strong subtext to the story which is typically well written with a strong and intriguing plot line that held my attention from start to finish. Without a doubt another 5 star read from a very talented author.

The Siege: A Psychological Thriller
The Siege: A Psychological Thriller

5.0 out of 5 stars Would make a great film, 21 May 2016
The Siege is second novel I have read by James Hanna and I have to say I have been impressed on both occasions. Beyond the mechanics of writing he’s an author who really invests in the identity of his characters. More than this he always delves deeply into what motivates them and leaves you feeling that you know them intimately. I always think this is an aspect of good writing and in The Siege I could imagine the events unfolding about me as I read. I would like to see someone turn this into a film.

Coinman: An Untold Conspiracy
Coinman: An Untold Conspiracy

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me laugh, 21 May 2016
I love the title to this book and I loved the main character. I think anyone working in an office environment can find a Coinman if they look. In fact all the characters in this uplifting satire are reflections of people we probably know. Without giving away any spoilers, the plot is very clever and the characters just sublime. I was looking for a pick me up that would make me laugh a little on my morning commute and this was just the ticket.

Walking on Water: A Path to Empowerment
Walking on Water: A Path to Empowerment

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 21 May 2016
Being able to express your thoughts with clarity whilst offering insight at the same time is a real gift and one that is quite evident in Walking on Water. The subtitle says “A Path To Empowerment” but I also think there is a strong element of enlightenment as well. Either way it is a journey and one which makes you realise how much power we actually have as individuals and how we can enhance that by coming together. Containing many timely reflections on life, society and events I know I will be coming back to this book many times in the future.

Slater: A Swashbuckling Medieval Fantasy Romance (Hengist-People of the Horse Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Every book’s a winner., 11 May 2016
One day this series is going to end and it’s going to be the end of an epic saga that has seen lots of great quests and adventures. What makes it so special for me is that whilst there is an overriding identity for the series, each book focuses on one specific character who find themselves in unexpected places and times. Slater takes us even further back in time from Aveburgh Henge to a place where Slater has to escape his own death if he is set things right. Whilst the series is broadly aimed at a young adult audience, the quality of writing should appeal to readers of all ages.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20