Profile for TyLean Polley > Reviews

Content by TyLean Polley

TyLean Polley (London, England)

The London Nobody Knows
The London Nobody Knows
by Geoffrey Fletcher

3.0 out of 5 stars Written to preserve without future generations in mind., 15 Feb. 2013
What a wonderful little find this book was. I checked it out from the library after coming across it's video counterpart posted on Youtube.

I'm afraid, however, that as magnificent the concept or beautifully worded, I must deduct two stars from my rating. One star is lost for being too brief, and another star is lost for being too tedious. This is the first book I have encountered that is - paradoxically - too brief AND too tedious. If it had twice the number of pages, I would have read it in half the time.

I was born 20 years after this book was published and grew up 3,500 miles from London. I know several of the areas quite well, yet I struggled to paint the images of what they use to look like in my mind - even with the sketches and having seen the video. There is not enough description, and a knowledge of architecture that I do not possess is assumed. Descriptions of buildings are quite often likened to the architectural styles of people I never heard of and know nothing about, which is hardly helpful. Fletcher also has a tendency to dismiss further elaboration by stating that a book could be written about it. I find this as pathetic and lazy a comment from someone who is - indeed - writing a book on the very topic as a writer who uses the phrase, "words cannot describe."

All the same, I'm very grateful such a book was written and published full of such fascinating gems.

LeapFrog Hug & Learn Animal Globe
LeapFrog Hug & Learn Animal Globe

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Toy... Obnoxious Voices, 22 Jan. 2013
My son absolutely loves this toy! Likewise, I think it's quite brilliant, but the voices are very American, and they cut through me like a razor blade. Had I experimented with it in store - rather than buying it online - I might have been put off buying it altogether. It would be perfect if it had a British accent.

Skechers Women's Shape Ups Optimize Trainer
Skechers Women's Shape Ups Optimize Trainer

4.0 out of 5 stars The best trainers I ever owned... if only they were more durable., 20 Sept. 2012
The first time I saw Shape Ups, I thought they were absolutely hideous, too expensive and just another ridiculous fad. Then, I started seeing claims that they improve posture and therefore help with hip and back pain. I decided to buy a pair, and I fell in love with them. They improved my posture, reduced my pain and after a long walk, I could even feel a bit of muscle soreness from the toning advantage.

However.... the seams started busting after just a year. That may seem like pretty good going as far as trainer life is concerned, but these trainers were only worn for about 5 hours a week! I expect that a pair of name branded trainers should last AT LEAST a year with daily use. It's a shame as the shoes are otherwise in excellent condition.

That said, I just ordered a new pair of Shape Ups to replace my current pair, which are getting embarrassing to wear in public. Short lifespan or not, these are still the most amazing things I have ever put on my feet.

Career Ahead: The Complete Career Handbook
Career Ahead: The Complete Career Handbook
by Jenny Ungless

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed!, 18 Oct. 2011
A very helpful book.... and a great alternative to the religious based and "spiritual" career guides that flood the market.

I assumed this book would be a quick read, I was mistaken! If you engage in the exercises properly and taking time to think about your career prospects, then set aside a few weeks to work through this book.
Some chapters (chapter 6 in particular) are a bit tedious, but it's well worth sticking through to the end.

I'm still not 100% sure what I want to do with my career, but I now have a starting point... and perhaps more importantly... I know why I want to get out of my current field, and can stop feeling like a failure.

A History of Language (Globalities)
A History of Language (Globalities)
by Steven Roger Fischer

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for anyone studying to be bi-lingual or multi-lingual., 18 Oct. 2011
A fascinating and well-rounded book!

I aspire to be a multi-linguist, and reading this book has really improved my acquisition and ability to communicate in foreign languages.... even though it's a history book and has nothing to do with the actual learning of a foreign language. Dispelling myths about the origins of language, connecting the evolutionary dots and getting back to the fundamental reason why language exists (to communicate) has been inspirational as well as helpful.

My only wish is that the middle was as flowing and enjoyable to read as the beginning and end.... it would then be the perfect book.

The Traveller's Histories: Spain (Traveller'S History Of)
The Traveller's Histories: Spain (Traveller'S History Of)
by Juan Lalaguna

1.0 out of 5 stars This book does a great disservice to Spain's history!, 18 Oct. 2011
I've read other Traveller's History books and have found them to be delightful, both readable and enjoyable whilst giving an overview to their respective country's history and culture. This book is the exception. It completely glosses over the most fascinating and relevant points in Spanish history (such as the Spanish Civil War) in preference for detailing economic and industrial statistics that no casual reader could ever hope to recall after. Oddly, despite the emphasis on the country's economic history, the devaluation of gold during the Spanish Empire is hardly mentioned. The culture of Spain is completely lost in this book! There is hardly any mention of the great literature, art, music and dance that has come from Spain.

I read textbooks for fun.... and even I found this book an absolute torture to read. I was actually in Spain when I finally finished. I was in the perfect situation to appreciate the history all the more and sadly found myself feeling completely cheated.

From Lad to Dad: The ultimate guide to pregnancy for blokes
From Lad to Dad: The ultimate guide to pregnancy for blokes
by Stephen Giles

2.0 out of 5 stars A pregnant woman's point of view., 18 Oct. 2011
Someone gave this book to my husband. He read it and suggested I read it (even though it's intended for men) to see that we are not the only people who have had to deal with a lot of incompetent midwives and ridiculous hospital policies.

There's a lot of white space in this book. If I wasn't pregnant, I would have read it in one sitting... however.... I did need a pee break once or twice. It was a gift in our case, but I question value for money if you were to purchase this book for yourself (or your partner), particularly if you are an avid reader. If you prefer books with pictures, this might be right up your alley. (There are no pictures, I'm just drawing a comparison).

The author does a marvellous job of making himself look like an absolute tool.... particularly his fear of assuming household chores (lest they become his permanent responsibility) when it's his wife who has the 9-5 type job while he is a freelance writer and works from home. The woman is a saint! She was baking the baby 24/7, working to bring home the bacon, cooking the bacon AND doing the washing up whilst he invested his time writing a book that leaves much to be desired.

Singing, Acting and Movement in Opera: A Guide to Singer-getics
Singing, Acting and Movement in Opera: A Guide to Singer-getics
by Mark Clark

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaves much to be desired....., 6 Jan. 2011
Okay as a brief reference.... and that's about all.

The "book" reads like an outline of something that could be worth reading. There is no meat to it what-so-ever. Most of the text consists of quotes and excerpts from other people and books. Extremely basic exercises are explained in a very tedious manner and many of the exercises are not practical outside of an opera workshop setting.

I'm an absolute beginner... and learned very little from this book.