Profile for alargemango > Reviews

The Descent (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Shauna Macdonald
Price: 4.24

3.0 out of 5 stars Above average horror flick, 20 Mar 2006
This film delivered pretty much what I'd expected of it having already read some reviews - decent plotline, good direction, very good acting and some very impressive creature special effects.
It takes a while to get going, but there is good variation in the locales considering the vast majority of the film takes place in caves and tunnels.
Had to take away a point or two down to the relatively disappointing ending.
All in all well worth a watch.

Team America: World Police [DVD]
Team America: World Police [DVD]
Dvd ~ Harry Gregson-Williams
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.77

2.0 out of 5 stars Thought it'd be better..., 13 Mar 2006
This film involkes such differing emotions in me, I've found it hard to give it just 2 out of 5, but I'm afraid I must.
When the true fact of the matter is that, for a comedy movie, it's just not funny enough. The gags are far too sparse, and even the jokes that are in there are never gonna crack you up as much as they should.
That's the only gripe I have with the film as a whole - it's a comedy movie, it should make you laugh: it doesn't.
The puppets/sets almost rescue the films obvious failings... but sadly they don't. If you like South Park I'd recommend renting this one. If you don't... leave it be.

Ambulance Ltd
Ambulance Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply sumptuous, 2 Feb 2006
This review is from: Ambulance Ltd (Audio CD)
Ambulance Ltd's debut self-titled album came as something of a shock to me. A friend had sent me the 2nd song, "Primitive (The Way I Treat You)", and after a day or two of playing it countless times I took a plunge and spent 10 of my hard-earned pounds in HMV. I don't think I've made this good a decision since I told my ex to keep her green dinosaur lamp.
Honestly, this album is a real peach, and entirely surprising for me as I generally don't like US soft-rock bands.
I disagree with someone reviewing below when they said this album is instantly appealing - I found it a good 2 or 3 listens before I truly came to comprehend what an amazing album I had just purchased on a whim.
If I had to describe it in 3 words, it'd be "cool" "breezy" and "catchy". You'll find yourself humming to tunes long after they've finished. I've lent this album to 3 friends since then 2 of them have bought it themselves, and the other one downloaded it.
I'd say the only disappointing song on the album would be "Michigan", would even that would be nitpicking - I never find myself reaching for the skip button.
Fed up of the current crop of Indie albums? Plump for this and bask in the refreshingly new genre Ambulance Ltd seem to have all to themself: Cool Rock.

The Angela Test
The Angela Test
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 13.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing, 2 Feb 2006
This review is from: The Angela Test (Audio CD)
Leaves must be wondering what they are doing wrong. After "Breathe" - an absolute scorcher of a debut album, they've brought out this, "The Angela Test", which, frankly is one of my top 3 favourite albums of all time. That's how much I can recommend this record.
Fans of Coldplay, Radiohead, Blur, Doves, Snow Patrol - or indeed any of the above? Buy this album. You won't be disappointed.
I only hope that Leaves see this as enough of a commercial success to bring out a 3rd album. Or I fear I won't have anything to look forward to in the musical calendar.
So, summing up, this review is not as much a gentle recommendation, but this of it more as a gun-in-your-face-buy-this-or-else kind of thing.

Hard Candy
Hard Candy
Price: 5.52

1.0 out of 5 stars Mellow... but not in a good way, 12 Jan 2006
This review is from: Hard Candy (Audio CD)
First of let me say that I am totally unfamiliar with the Counting Crows, but that this particular album came on in my work and had me scuttling to the "currently playing" booth to see just what this humdrum rubbish was that was playing.
Putting it frankly, this is the kind of music that makes me think of sheer boredom, audio-fied. The songs and melodies on the album are as middle-of-the-road as you could possibly find. Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of American soft rock in general, but this is a particularly "fine" example of sheer tedium.
Each song washes over you with its melacholy - and that's not that the songs are sad, this is the emotion that I felt once I heard this record.
One to avoid then.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2012 8:34 PM BST

Mother Nature Calls
Mother Nature Calls
Offered by TwoRedSevens
Price: 5.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating - a definite grower, 7 Oct 2004
This review is from: Mother Nature Calls (Audio CD)
After having just purchased "Magic Hour" by Cast, and being totally blown away by it, I got this and it's just what I'd hoped for: more of the same.
Bear in mind that both this album and "Magic Hour" are definite growers - you need to give them both a chance, but after the 2nd or 3rd listens I was truly amazed that this album isn't well known for being a real gem.
You've gotta feel sorry for John Power, in my opinion this album and "Magic Hour" are right up there in my top 20 fave albums ever and no-one hardly ever heard of them.
The songs themselves provide an amazing trip back into melodic britpop, minus Mr Gallacher's lazy singing and minus Mr Albarn's chirpy cockneyness. Gentle melodies, and chirpy guitars litter the majority of the songs.
Cast never got the praise they deserved in my opinion, so I implore you give this a chance (and Magic Hour aswell) and they won't let you down.
A real masterpiece.