Profile for cschreiber > Reviews

CDL Micro 1.5 m 5 ft eSATA External (SATA III) Data 6.0 Gbps Cable - Blue
CDL Micro 1.5 m 5 ft eSATA External (SATA III) Data 6.0 Gbps Cable - Blue
Offered by HDMIPerfect

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a cable. It works and it's cheap., 29 April 2014
Don't know what else to say. I'm not witty enough for "space-time" wormhole reviews on Amazon, nor am I clever enough to mention the three wolves, but what I can say is that if I needed another one of these bad boys, I'd certainly buy this one again.

Spigen iPhone 5S / 5C / 5 Screen Protector Glass [GLAS.tR NANO SLIM] (0.23mm) Thin Lightweight Rounded Edge Tempered Glass Screen Protector Clear for iPhone 5S / 5 (SGP10512)

5.0 out of 5 stars Darn near indestructible!, 29 April 2014
I have had this on my phone now for quite some time (7 months or so) and it's still blemish-free.. I'm assuming the "real" screen is fine, but I'm very glad that I have it. It's thin enough that the button depressing doesn't get in the way, either.

Wired--up HDMI Mini to HDMI Male 1.8m Cable - Black
Wired--up HDMI Mini to HDMI Male 1.8m Cable - Black
Offered by memorycapital

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a cable. It works., 1 April 2014
It's a pity to see people charging so much for cables when these bad boys do the job for about 10% of the price.

NETGEAR GS105UK 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch
NETGEAR GS105UK 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a switch. It switches packets. :), 1 April 2014
There's not much to say about this -- you put it in the network and it sits there and switches your packets. About the only thing that could make it better would be for it to be passively powered.

WD 3 TB for NAS 3.5-inch Desktop Hard Drive Including WD Extended Warranty (Frustration Free Packaging) - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, quiet and reliable, 31 Mar. 2014
So far, these are great hard drives -- they're not dead silent, but they're pretty close and write times appear to be on par with the average review (I haven't benchmarked them, but in my NAS, they work great). Over NFS, I was consistently getting around 70-80MB/s with some peaks closer to 90, so definitely worthy.

20 Pairs of 3M 1100 Ear Plugs
20 Pairs of 3M 1100 Ear Plugs
Offered by Rubber Soul Healthcare

5.0 out of 5 stars These things are QUIET!, 31 Mar. 2014
Prompt shipment and when you put these puppies in, they are QUIET! We live with our bedroom window abutting a major street and when using these, everything is dead silent. We actually have to be careful to crank up the alarm if we've got the earplugs in as it would be very easy to sleep through it.

EasyAcc® Ultra Thin APPLE iPad Air Flip Case Smart Cover with Stand / Auto Sleep Wake-up for iPad Air / New Retina iPad 5 Gen (Top Premium PU Leather, Ultra Slim Design, Grey)
Offered by EasyAcc.U Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and inexpensive!, 31 Mar. 2014
I won't say "cheap" as that implies a complete lack of quality, which is not the case. It feels good and does exactly what it's suppoed to do, which is protect the iPad. The only part that I could even remotely take issue with is that the "hinge" part feels a tiiiiny bit like it could tear. If it does happen, I'll amend the review, but until then, I love it!

Crucial CT120M500SSD3 120GB M500 mSATA 6Gb/s Internal SSD including Screws
Crucial CT120M500SSD3 120GB M500 mSATA 6Gb/s Internal SSD including Screws

5.0 out of 5 stars FAST!, 31 Mar. 2014
Wow, I can't believe how fast this puppy is! I popped it into my NUC and, even running Windows 7 (Not exactly known for fast boots), I go from POST to "on-screen and usable" in about 15 seconds. Linux was even faster, averaging around 11-12 seconds from POST to usable. I only wish I got the 480 Gigabyte one now! (I think that just might be my next purchase!)

The *only* caveat that I have with this is that if you're using it with the BOXD54250WYK3 NUC, you may need to flash the BIOS of the NUC if you want to do UEFI booting. I tried installing Ubuntu 13.10 and it wouldn't write to the HDD and I almost sent the HDD back thinking it was defective. After the BIOS update, everything was smooth sailing!

Crucial 16 GB DDR3 1600 MT/s CL11 SODIMM 204 Pin, 1.35/1.5 V Memory Module Kit
Crucial 16 GB DDR3 1600 MT/s CL11 SODIMM 204 Pin, 1.35/1.5 V Memory Module Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised!, 31 Mar. 2014
So far, no issues. It's memory; you pop it in and it works. I would have left a shorter review, but Amazon apparently has minimum word count requirements, so hopefully, this will pad it out enough! :)

Intel BOXD54250WYK3 NUC Ultra Compact Barebone PC (Intel Core i5 4250U, 1x mSATA, 2x SO-DIMM DDR3, USB 3.0, Mini HDMI, Mini Display Port)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little device!, 31 Mar. 2014
This does everything listed. It makes a fantastic home MMPC. That said, there are a few niggling points about it:
1) The BIOS needs to be updated for UEFI booting. Linux (in particular, Ubuntu 13.10) had real problems writing to the HDD. Once the BIOS was flashed, the problem was fixed.
2) I wish it had a SPDIF output. That said, audio over the HDMI works flawlessly
3) Drivers may be an issue for older OSs. Stock Windows 7 didn't recognise the Ethernet, USB and some other random driver and I had to download the driver off of Intel's web site, stick it on a USB stick and "sneaker net" it to get it on the network. Once I did that, everything went fine.
4) Ubuntu 12.04 and 13.10 installed flawlessly out of the box, but there are some video tearing and audio issues between the two versions, respectively (The graphics chipset is *very* new and only recently incorporated into the 13.04 and higher version of Ubuntu). That said, I tried mucking with both for a few hours before giving up. The more dedicated/brighter amongst us may be able to get it working without too much of an issue, but it ended up being too much effort for me. (I'm still going to experiment in a VM until I get the kinks worked out and may revisit this)
5) A bit on the pricey side. You can easily build a box for less, but what you're paying for is the small footprint. Even this box with RAM and an mSATA drive was cheaper than a Mac Mini of an equivalent horsepower. (But Macs are a different beast altogether...)

I plan on buying another one and turning it into a VM server and basically having a microlab at my disposal. This little box has totally rekindled my desire to play with hardware again and am looking forward to buying it! :D
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2014 12:40 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2