Profile for Clara > Reviews

Content by Clara

Clara (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
London's Hidden Walks: Volume 1 (Explore London)
London's Hidden Walks: Volume 1 (Explore London)
by Stephen Millar

2.0 out of 5 stars Very misleading Title, 25 Jun 2014
I have to admit that my heat sank when I read in the introduction that the author now knew the whereabouts of the block of flats where the Kray twins lived. My interpretation of 'hidden' in the context of the title was 'out of the way' or 'little known', so route 1 confirmed my suspicions about this book's credentials, it starts at Picadilly Circus and ends at Regent Street along streets that are walked by thousands of Londoners and tourists each day. Hardly hidden, most of the routes cover streets that are likewise very well trodden. As a guide and reference book about London, it is not bad but if you are looking for something that gets under the skin of London, this ain't it

The Art of Wandering: The Writer as Walker
The Art of Wandering: The Writer as Walker
by Merlin Coverley

2.0 out of 5 stars Wander in a different direction, 22 April 2014
I have tried with this book and totally failed. It is a compilation of sources other than the author's own experience. I suppose that it is fine as the basis of some academic exercise but I prefer the work of people have actually put one foot in front of the other and just walk....... I'm thinking about Patrick Leigh Fermour, Wilfred Thessiiger, and why not Wainwright? Basically, I was bored to the point of hurling out the window.

East End Underworld: Chapters in the Life of Arthur Harding (History Workshop Series)
by Raphael Samuel

5.0 out of 5 stars Read in one sitting, 22 April 2014
Sarah Wise has written a wonderful book called The Blackest Streets about a place in Hackney called The Old Nichol, a notorious slum demolished at the turn of the 20th century. The book makes numerous references to the book being reviewed here. Arthur Harding who grew up in the Nicol, was in turn a ragamuffin, hard man gangster, prison inmate, police collaborator and family man. Highly intelligent despite his lack of education, strong as an ox, Arthur relates the relationships between all the various East End communities but mainly the criminals and their relationship with the police.

Despicable bruiser, devoted family man and loveable character with a strange concept of honour? Read the book. Raphael Samuel wrote the book after lengthy and feisty meetings with Arthur and at no point does one feel intrusion into another's story. It is absolutely brilliant and this is one of the few books that I have that will never be sold, lent or given away.

Veetee Supreme Basmati Rice 5 kg Jar
Veetee Supreme Basmati Rice 5 kg Jar

5.0 out of 5 stars Non Better, 11 Feb 2014
Veetee Supreme Rice is much better than any other brand that we have tasted. Simply put, if we run out of stock, we stop eating rice, it is that good.

Here's the way we cook it. Measure the rice according to number of people to feed, we use a smallish mug for two. Melt a small nob of butter in a saucepan until slightly brown, then add the rice. Toss to coat the rice in the melted butter and add one and a half times the volume of water, in our case a mug and a half, add salt according to taste. Turn the heat right down, stir occasionally until all the water is absorbed. Good enough to eat on its own.

Hähnel HL-ON1 Replacement Battery Olympus BLN-1 Design 1170 mAh 7.6 V 8.9 Wh
Hähnel HL-ON1 Replacement Battery Olympus BLN-1 Design 1170 mAh 7.6 V 8.9 Wh

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 18 May 2013
At the time of writing there is one other review by D Crooks, he/she is very disparaging - rightfully so. My battery did not illuminate the charger bulb when I attempted to charge it although in the camera it showed fully charged. I assumed therefore that it left the factory fully charged and was ready to go. I tried to use it on a camera shoot, it took a few pictures and it died - extremely annoying. Hahnel seem to have serious quality problems with this product.

Update:

It is said that stupidity is doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome. I ordered another of these batteries along with some printer cartridges as I was about to do some extensive photography. The second battery was as bad as the first and after using it once, I fully charged it. When the time came to use it, it was completely dead. Grrrr......

David Busch's Olympus Om-D E-M5 Guide to Digital Photography (David Busch's Digital Photography Guides)
by David Busch

3.0 out of 5 stars A necessary buy if you bought the OM-D EM-5, 11 April 2013
I bought the book covering the E-5 by mistake, the covers are very, very similar. On receiving the correct book, I noticed that the introduction is identical to a large degree (word for word). Not really a problem but an indication that Mr Busch may churn out his books perhaps missing some of the finer points of the camera. There's a great deal about general photography increasing its size well beyond the ability to refer to it 'in the field'.
The OM-D's set-up procedures are simply arcane and the manual is next thing to useless. This necessitates a lot of web research (dpreview has a good article) and probably this book. I eventually found how to assign the Fn-1 button to centre the focal point with the aid of the book (it is not as straightforward as you might imagine). If you are reading this review, you've probably bought the camera, you just need to add the cost of the book to the price of the camera - Olympus, hang your head in shame!

The Ongoing Moment
The Ongoing Moment
by Geoff Dyer

4.0 out of 5 stars A Worthwhile Read, 11 April 2013
This review is from: The Ongoing Moment (Paperback)
I made a deliberate decision to avoid Geoff Dyer's books after being given a copy of his Yoga........., it didn't do justice to the recycled newspapers used to produce it.

However, I bought a copy of Vivian Maier - Street Photographer (wonderful) where Dyer has written a masterly introduction. So, long on my wish list, I purchased a copy of The Ongoing Moment - good call they say in the beer ads. It's gossipy about icons of photography (Stieglitz and Mrs Strand) and written with Dyer's trademark smart-a**** style. I have learnt a great deal about 'reading' an image now I understand Stieglitz's intention when producing his Equivalents.
Much of what is good about this book has been covered elsewhere and there is no need for repetition. Thoroughly recommended, loses a star simply because the book itself is poorly produced with less than average print quality of both text and images, the latter are also too small to see some of the detail Dyer describes.

The positives outweigh the small 'negatives' if you will excuse the pun.

The New Street Photographer's Manifesto
The New Street Photographer's Manifesto
by Tanya Nagar

1.0 out of 5 stars Abysmal, 22 Feb 2013
Not going to waste my time on this very poor book - buy it if you must, I sent mine back, the first time that I have done this.

The Colony of Unrequited Dreams
The Colony of Unrequited Dreams
by Wayne Johnston

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful & Intelligent Read, 1 Oct 2012
I first read this novel several years ago and during a period of frequent trips to Newfoundland. I have just re-read it and such is the quality of writing that I have a kind of 'homesickness' for a place and people that I came to greatly admire. The Colony of Unrequitted Dreams is so good, it would require skills beyond mine to adequately describe. Mr Johnston's flair for storytelling is supreme, his writing is equal to his imagination as he follows the twists and turns in the intertwined lives of his two main characters. I think most of all that impresses most, it is Mr Johnston's remarkable insight and the way he reveals the inner thoughts of his characters, the kind that most of us have but seldom reveal, if ever.

As for lacking 'the ability to move' mentioned elsewhere, I find this astonishing given the description of lives of sealers and the ending which is poignant and tear provoking. If you like this book, try Baltimore's Mansion by the same author.

If like me, you get the opportunity of visiting Newfoundland - just go!

Mr Johnston, if you ever read this review - thank you.

Philips SensoTouch RQ1280cc GyroFlex 3D Rotary Rechargeable Shaver with Clean and Charge Stand

2.0 out of 5 stars Style over substance?, 3 July 2012
Found this with a £100 discount - so no brainer? I wanted to upgrade my several years old Philishave 8894. First the negatives.

The accompanying instruction leaflet is IKEA style and as helpful, which means not at all.
The ergonomics are poor, long and thin with a polished slippery surface.
The battery recharge life at 60 minutes is less than half the 8894.
It comes with an ugly cleaning tank.
The 8894 is simplicity itself to clean. Flip the hinged head, blow out beard shavings (preferably out the window) and run under tap. Done!
Cost of running the 8894 other than electricity - NIL.
At a rough estimate the RQ 1280 would cost about £80 a year in cleansing solution with the pain of shopping for it. And this for a razor with a RRP of £299. At £7 a go for 300ml of ionised water, think inkjet cartridge rip-off.
The blade length of the trimmer is just 15mm wide, not a huge problem but its 25% smaller than the 8894.
Other reviewers mention 'battery fry' if the 1280 is left on charge too long. I cannot comment further but I have done this many times with the 8894 with no adverse effect.
The ability of the razor to follow the contours of the face is a much vaunted feature but the head 'flex' is only marginally greater than my existing razor.

Now for the positives.

Well, there are none to mention, it has been returned. Most of the reviews of this product are favourable, for me it's overpriced even with a third off and over stylised, so it's back to my vintage 8894. If you suffer from razor rash or eczema, try Nivea's Post Shave Balm, occasional use has worked well for me and at £5 a time, it may save you a lot of money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2012 7:17 PM BST