Profile for fp > Reviews

Once Upon an Alphabet
Once Upon an Alphabet
by Oliver Jeffers

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Once Upon an Alphabet (Hardcover)
Even my three year old thinks this is hilarious. This has to be a new classic.

Plastoy Barbapapa House Figurine
Plastoy Barbapapa House Figurine

5.0 out of 5 stars My little 3 year old girl adores the Barbapapa family and this toy is her favourite thing. The rubbery plastic material this hou, 5 Jan. 2015
Pricey but fabulous. My little 3 year old girl adores the Barbapapa family and this toy is her favourite thing. The rubbery plastic material this house is made of is very good quality and easy to clean. Each room is carefully and colourfully hand painted. Worth every penny.

Dixit Expansion 5: Daydream
Dixit Expansion 5: Daydream
Offered by Fun Collectables

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the ghoulish!, 5 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Dixit Expansion 5: Daydream (Toy)
I have the board game and Quest expansion pack and love this game!
I bought these extra cards because I love the art work and imagination of this game. I play this game with other adults but I play more often with my family, two children aged 7 and 9.

Both previous sets of cards are full of very colourful and diverse images. Some are light and some are intensely surreal and strange which is why the pictures are wonderful - they provoke imagination and creative thinking in the children.

But I feel I need to warn other buyers of this pack. The pack is called 'daydreams' but I would suggest it was more appropriately named 'nightmares'! The colours never stray from smokey blues, sepias and browns. All of the characters have black dead eyes and many of the pictures are menacing to say the least. In a pack of 84 cards I have picked out 16 that I feel are appropriate for my children. The remainder of the pack is downright macabre and one or two are disturbing. The beautiful picture on the box of a Nero type character in a swirling sea with an oriental looking fish flying across a luminous crescent moon was missing from my pack - so the picture used to sell me the cards wasn't part of the sale: another big down point and I feel misled by the lightness of this picture.

I will use these cards with my children when they are older. Darker images are as important in art and imagination as any other pictures and from that point of view these pictures, like the other Dixit sets, are invaluable, but they should give more indication on the box of what they are so buyers can make an informed choice. If buying for family games I would go with any of the other expansion packs.

Georello Kaleidogears 55pc
Georello Kaleidogears 55pc

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab toy for the price., 11 July 2014
This review is from: Georello Kaleidogears 55pc (Toy)
Great toy. My daughter is 2 and LOVES this set of gears. Previous reviewers said there was no handle but ours came with a little purple handle which fits neatly into any one of the cogs. We love the fact that the base plates can be fitted together to make 3D designs and although more challenging the cogs can work across a flat to upright surface. It's quite a versatile toy - a jigsaw of the base plates, then fine motor skills to get the little sprockets in their holes, you have to work out how to place the cogs so they all spin, then spinning fun! And also, once set up, which little toy can stay on the longest! The colours are lovely and change when spinning fast. The toy is made from an unusual soft almost malleable plastic, easily wipeable and cleaned but the shiney surface also makes it easy to glide the pieces together. I think we will be playing with this one for some time and I am considering getting another set to expand this one. Lots of fun. Highly recommended.

Haba Building Blocks Sevilla
Haba Building Blocks Sevilla
Offered by Andreas Schwarz - spielwaren-schwarz

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, interesting, versatile., 11 July 2014
This review is from: Haba Building Blocks Sevilla (Toy)
These gorgeous blocks are 4cm across. The colours are very lovely and my 2 year old daughter loves them. I should say though that we have a set of plain blocks which we coloured ourselves and this provided us with much needed increased stacking power! Although these blocks are a beautiful keepsake, the ratio of stackable blocks to 'hats' or 'roofs' makes the set a little limited on their own but combined with plastic cups from the kitchen and other bricks they have become favourites. The colours are fabulous and the quality of the set makes each piece its own little heirloom!
I highly recommend this set. I know they are pricey but when you see them alongside other examples you realise they are actually very reasonably priced and feel very happy indeed to own them. If you're even thinking about it and can afford them I would go for it! They are very satisfying to play with (for children and adults alike) and my daughter certainly gets lots of enjoyment out of them. She also has lots of questions about the different shapes and how they fit (or don't fit) together. Because the blocks are not uniform children discover what doesn't work as well as what does, making this set more versatile and interesting for beyond toddler age. I love playing with them myself - important when your child wants to play with the same things over and over, eh?

Draw What! a Doodling, Drawing and Colouring Book
Draw What! a Doodling, Drawing and Colouring Book

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more fun than a crossword!, 11 July 2014
Fabulous colouring book which can be used as an ideas book too. Lots of pages for doodling and having a go at free drawing as well as fantastic colouring pages. I get mine out on the train every morning and an hour is gone in minutes and I turn up for work with a fresh brain. Lovely.

Sarah and Duck Cbeebies Twin Pack Plush with Sound
Sarah and Duck Cbeebies Twin Pack Plush with Sound

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous., 28 May 2014
Whats to know. They are just like the Sarah and Duck who you love. Sarah says 'Come on duck' and duck replies as best he can for a duck. My child loves them. I love them. Very reasonable price and great quality. Sarahs hat is made from felt material which might start to pill after a while and I'm sure the batteries will leave them speechless quite soon, but at the price it really doesn't matter. We are very happy with them and they seem safe for even very small children (good stitching etc...)

Tin Peas and Carrots
Tin Peas and Carrots
Offered by LittleImpsToys

5.0 out of 5 stars Teeny peas and carrots. Ahhh., 28 May 2014
This review is from: Tin Peas and Carrots (Toy)
Recommend these for 3 plus as they are very small, but then a careful younger child would get so much out of them too. Exceptional quality. Beautifully made to last forever. I think these toys are wonderful. They are clearly designed with love and attention to detail making them very playable with. My 2 year old plays with them every day and includes them in other games apart from cooking. Very reasonable price. The tin is 6cm high and 5.5cm diameter and you get 8 tiny carrots and 8 lovely green peas which are a little bigger than life size. Perfect.

Mushrooms
Mushrooms
Offered by LittleImpsToys

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little mushrooms!, 28 May 2014
This review is from: Mushrooms (Toy)
My 2 year old LOVES these. I would only recommend generally for older children - deffinately a choking hazard as very small - but careful younger children would love them. We bought the peas and carrots too and the little tins they come in are very robust and just the right size for little hands. Together they make a delicious meal! All the range of Haba play food seem to us to be exceptional quality and very reasonably priced considering they will obviously last for more than one generation. Buy 'em. You won't regret it and your children will be very happy.

Traditional Wooden Toy Hammer Bench
Traditional Wooden Toy Hammer Bench

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little hammer bench., 28 May 2014
This wooden hammer bench is very small, ideal for 1-2 year olds. My 3 year old still uses hers because I direct her towards it when shes grouchy with a tantrum! Although it is smaller then most similar toys it is robust and works. We have had ours for a year now and the pegs are still good and tight in their holes so it has lasted well. The pegs have retained their lovely colour too because the paint is an ingrained wash rather than slapped on so it doesn't chip off. I would recommend this toy for very young children. It is the kind of thing they might do for a couple of minutes every day. We are carpenters and think simple hammering is an essential skill - great simple toy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3