ARRAY(0xa3463618)

Aresson Traditional Rounders Set - Black/Navy, Adult
Aresson Traditional Rounders Set - Black/Navy, Adult
Price: 21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality product @ reasonable price!, 18 April 2013
What a gem - well made and great value too. This will be used summer after summer in the garden. Rounders is cross-generational so the whole family can get involved. Only thing to mention is the Bullet ball lives up to its name so we've also bought a Softy ball for the kids to play with. Otherwise highly recommended. Good service from the seller.

Isles Of Wonder: Music For The Opening Ceremony Of The London 2012 Olympic Games

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy it for Underworld!, 1 Aug 2012
Loved the opening ceremony to bits - an absolutely perfect portrait of the current British cultural climate and a real contrast to Beijing. The soundtrack kept it buzzing along, the stars of the show being the Underworld tracks. 'And I Will Kiss' is the 17 minute track that accompanied the Industrial Revolution section of the show. For me it was worth buying the album just for this alone. By the time 17 mins is up my heart is singing. Who really cares if Hey Jude isn't on there?

Le Toy Van Honeybake Oven and Hob Role-Play
Le Toy Van Honeybake Oven and Hob Role-Play
Price: 59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, quality toy that will last a lifetime, 6 July 2012
I was really impressed with the quality of this product - everything is very well made and nice and solid. I can definitely see this toy becoming one that gets kept and handed down through the family. Also pleased that it is gender neutral as it will be a gift for a little boy. It compares favourably with other play cookers as it is of a good play size but still nice and compact for storage and because it comes with lots of bits and bobs included. My only grumble is that you do have to screw on the oven door handle and oven mit holder, which we found a little tricky. Definitely one of those toys to take out of its box and build before you present it to your child. Otherwise a very good value toy which should provide many happy hours of play for years to come.

The Grapes of Wrath
The Grapes of Wrath
by John Steinbeck
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A life changing read, 21 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Grapes of Wrath (Paperback)
I would like to counter the many reviews which claim this is a 'difficult' book to read. I often give up on texts before the end and have no wish to suffer through a book I find dull. However I found The Grapes of Wrath to be utterly compelling and really didn't notice its length compared to the average novel. The suffering of the Joad family is simultaneously awful and engrossing. I felt genuine compassion for the characters and wanted to follow their story through to its conclusion, despite every devastating heart break. In the end it is not a depressing novel, but an epigraph to the many millions of dispossessed, across all eras, who have laboured to survive in the face of adversity.

Sams Teach Yourself HTML and CSS in 24 Hours (Includes New HTML 5 Coverage) (Sams Teach Yourself...in 24 Hours)
by Julie Meloni
Price: 20.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent teach yourself book for beginners, 31 May 2012
I knew learning HTML would improve my job prospects but I kept putting it off for fear it would be complicated and dull to learn. Even after buying the book it sat on my shelf for a week before I eventually took the plunge. Now however I'm up to Hour 5 (of 24) and already able to put a basic web site together. By the end of the book I'm sure I will feel confident listing HTML as a skill on my CV, knowing that I have learnt to write it in a way which is compliant with current web standards.

I do have a few grumbles about this book. The 1 hour lesson premise is a little stretched - some lessons take couple of hours to fully get your head round. Also some code is used in early examples that isn't fully explained until later on, which was initially a bit confusing. I also find the print a little small, especially since I'm switching between looking at the book and my computer screen. However the layout of the pages is nice and clear and the book is easily navigable thanks to a system of coloured chapter headings. Also there is a useful glossary at the back which I know I will refer to in the future.

I would definitely recommend this book to a beginner, but be prepared to put the work into exercises and examples otherwise its just a lot of gobbledegook.

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Camera - Black (16.1MP, Live MOS, M.Zuiko 12-50mm Lens) 3.0 inch OLED
Price: 759.95

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a lot of money but it's worth it, 29 May 2012
I wanted to replace my four year old entry DSLR with something easier to handle. I'm a petite girl so needed something I could easily wrap my tiny fingers around and something that I was likely to slip into my handbag and take out, rather than leave at home. The Micro Four Thirds system seemed to offer a solution, but I couldn't decide between the EP-3 which was well within my initial budget of 1000 and the OM-D, which was just a bit more expensive. I'm no expert, but I did read a good few reviews online and decided that the extra money spent on the OM-D would be definitely be worth it. I was especially taken by the direct control dials, weather-proofing, swiveling touch screen, built in viewfinder, bigger sensor, improved in-body stabilisation, and kit lens with powered zoom and macro functions.

The first thing I noticed when I picked it up is how amazing the build quality is. It really puts my old plasticky DSLR to shame. The thing is solid and has a great weight to it. It was up and running immediately but getting to know the menus was a little tricky. However, once you do get to grips with the menus you will find that the OM-D is endlessly customisable, and those direct control wheels really come into their own. The image quality through the kit lens is pretty good and more than adequate to satisfy me for a while before I wander off to investigate other lenses.

The issues that have been picked up on other reviews, such as spongy buttons and the location of the off/on switch don't really bother me at all. If anything I am most disappointed by the rubbishy strap provided by Olympus, and the ridiculous price of upgrading to a leather one.

The camera itself is definitely worth the price tag and I would happily recommend it to anyone, whether beginner or experienced, as it offers scope to work your way up from the iAuto mode to fully manual. My Dad, who has owned one 1970s Canon SLR from new, can't leave the OM-D alone and I'm pleased to have lots of digital tricks up my sleeve. So now we share.

Life in a Castle: A 3-dimensional Carousel (3 Dimensional Carousel Book)
Life in a Castle: A 3-dimensional Carousel (3 Dimensional Carousel Book)
by Tango Books
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars A book with a whole castle inside!, 16 Dec 2011
I was looking for a toy castle as a present but plumped for this instead as it takes up so little space (and is much cheaper!) I'm glad I did as it is beautifully illustrated with lots of clever detail to explore. It is well built, but I do expect some bits to get damaged in time like any pop-up book. We're looking forward to exploring the other carousel books by this author.

Mini Micro Scooter Neon Blue
Mini Micro Scooter Neon Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Great scooter that gets little ones moving, 27 Nov 2011
This review is from: Mini Micro Scooter Neon Blue (Toy)
Our lad got one of these scooters when he was only just three years old and took to it immediately. It has three wheels for stability and an intuitive steering system, where the child leans to steer rather than move the handle bar. This mechanism works well and the stability boosts confidence, so you will soon be yelling 'come back!' as they scoot off into the distance.

It is very light, so not much hassle to carry. Our only grumble is that after two years the plastic footplate has become brittle and cracked, and the break has almost worn through. Can't help thinking it would be better if these components were made of metal like all of Micro's other scooters. Their saving grace, however is that replacement parts are available from Micro's website, so you can pass it on to a second child for another two years of fun. All in all a good buy, even considering the hefty price tag.

Micro Scooter - Sprite
Micro Scooter - Sprite
Offered by prolineskates-uk
Price: 54.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great build quality - buy this over cheaper versions!, 27 Nov 2011
This review is from: Micro Scooter - Sprite (Sports)
We bought this as a step up from the Mini Micro for our 5 year old, who has clocked that big boys have 2 wheels on their scooters, not three! After the plastic Mini Micro, which has definitely come to the end of its life after 2 years, we weren't sure about spending over 50 on another scooter, when there are so many cheaper ones out there. But after opening it up, I have to say the build quality is amazing, and really for something made so well 50 quid is an absolute bargain. I couldn't help putting the handle bars up and having a quick scoot myself - and it is rock solid. This toy is built to last. If you are considering buying a scooter for any age go for this one!

One quick tip - if you are buying more than one Micro scooter, as we did, then buy from Micro's own website and you get free 48 hour courier if you spend over 100. The service was excellent.

Corgi Toys 1:76 Scale TY82315 Routemaster 50th Anniversary London Transport
Corgi Toys 1:76 Scale TY82315 Routemaster 50th Anniversary London Transport

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and realistic toy bus, 8 Dec 2010
We wanted to get a bus to go alongside the Naughty Bus story book by Jan Oke. Although this one is not exactly the same it does the job for a four year old. Well made and an accurate model (which pleases Granddad the bus enthusiast!) this is well worth the price paid.

Page: 1 | 2