ARRAY(0xa6e1960c)

Profile for Peter Coupe > Reviews

Content by Peter Coupe
Top Reviewer Ranking: 160

Peter Coupe (North Yorkshire)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Omron M10-IT Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor with Dual-User Facility and Dual-Size Cuff
Price: 58.63

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems pretty consistent, 16 April 2014
I use this every day to check that my blood pressure is behaving itself, and it seems to accord with the results that I get in the GP surgery. It is a sturdy piece of gear and, being on the upper arm, is going to be more accurate then my previous monitor which was the wristband type.
Instructions are pretty clear and the whole thing comes in a rather neat zip-up carry case.

Pentel Brush Pen and Two Refills - Black Ink
Pentel Brush Pen and Two Refills - Black Ink
Price: 9.25

5.0 out of 5 stars My third one - first 2 "borrowed" by students, 16 April 2014
I love these brush pens. They have a good solid brush head which gives a good clean brush stroke time after time.
The ink is a good solid black, and the overall effect is very similar to drawing with a traditional brush.
They are a suggested buy for all my cartoon drawing students, and some even 'borrow' them to try them out, with the inevitable result - hence my latest order for replacements.
Highly recommended.

Uni Pin Technical Fineliner Pen Sets - 5 Pen Set
Uni Pin Technical Fineliner Pen Sets - 5 Pen Set
Offered by OMGHOWCHEAP LTD
Price: 7.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice drawing pens - see example image, 16 April 2014
When you draw things for a living it becomes important to find pens that do what you want them to. Over the years manufacturers will change the style of pen shape, ink type and even discontinue pens - which can be quite frustrating.
These pens are pretty good overall. They are good to hold - as the barrel is a matt finish so it doesn't slip and slide in your hand. The cap fits onto the other end with a snug click, so you don't lose the caps.
There is an impressive range of sizes, and they do seem to stand up to quite a bit of hammer before they finally die. This is my second set and they seem to just as good as the first. the ink colour seems consistent too, which is a definite bonus.
Not a bad price either, so a pretty good item all in all.

Samsung WB30F Smart Camera 2.0 with Built-In Wi-Fi Connectivity - White (16MP, 10x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD
Offered by Fonz Mania
Price: 81.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but perfectly formed, 16 April 2014
This is a very nice small camera. It is very lightweight and fits easily into a normal sized shirt pocket, but takes some pretty impressive pictures. With a 16MP image capability it gives you plenty of details to play about with if you transfer your pictures into Photoshop or similar to improve/mess around with them,.
If you just want to print them straight from the camera you will find that you get a lot of good pictures without too much effort.
There are plenty of shooting modes to give scope to the experimenter (though some of the 'filters and frames are a wee bit naff!)
It is also dead easy to use by setting it to Smart Auto, which will work for most easy subjects in normal lighting. There are plenty of other modes to try for specialist subjects - like night time or close up. The Live Panorama is also pretty impressive as it gives you a 180 degree (half a circle) image in a single shot!
The movie mode is also useful, and adds to the genuine usefulness of this camera.
It comes with a UK mains plug and charging lead and a wrist strap, but you will need to also order a micro SD card (to store your images) and (if you are going to be chucking it into a rucksack or suitcase) a case of some sort.
At this price it's a bargain, it really is.

This is Life
This is Life
by Dan Rhodes

4.0 out of 5 stars Not to be taken seriously, 8 April 2014
This review is from: This is Life (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a funny book. It is full of silly people and events, and will frustrate anyone looking for a smidgin of seriousness - because they won't find any! Even the tragic parts of this story are suffused with wit.
It has a lot of good stuff about the nature of Art, as well as the nature of life, and I think anyone who has ever studied Art will find an extra layer of very bittersweet stuff here. Le Machine - brilliant!
Having said that it is essentially a silly book, I should add that it is very well written and the characters are well drawn and believable. The essence of Paris is well conjured and it is easy to find yourself pulled into the story.
This is the first Dan Rhodes I have read and I will certainly be looking out for more.

Bic Cristal 2-in-1 Stylus Pen (Box of 12)
Bic Cristal 2-in-1 Stylus Pen (Box of 12)
Price: 17.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant idea and really cheap!, 31 Mar 2014
I was handed this to sign a book a few days ago.
I thought - for those few days - that it was just an ordinary Bic Biro, which is fine as I use them in great quantities for writing and sketching.
However, when I came to look carefully at the eraser on the other end - and couldn't understand why anyone would put an eraser on a Biro - it dawned on me!
It's actually a neat little stylus for pads, phones, etc. It really does work, and as these guys are just a pound or two each to buy, I think the stylus market is now well and truly in trouble.
It goes everywhere with me now - and I have just ordered a box of 12 for when it runs out - or someone asks me to borrow it to sign something -- and then steals it!

The Blood Crows (Roman Legion)
The Blood Crows (Roman Legion)
by Simon Scarrow
Price: 12.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable - but only because I know the characters, 27 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think if I had been reading this book as a first introduction to Cato and Macro I would have been disappointed. As a 'stand-alone' book it just doesn't work. There is so much 'back story' going on, especially in the first half of the book, that I think that new readers would be put off.
I appreciate that die-hard fans will not agree with this, so I expect this review to be voted as 'unhelpful' as a consequence.
I am also always amazed when I find myself rooting for the other side (The Romans) in the Britannia stories. As a Brit I should be pulling for the home team surely!?
Fortunately, I have followed these two characters for some years now, so I was able to get the references and enjoy the tale as a result.
It's not the best - but there is always hope for the next one.
Saluto Romano.

NOCO G3500UK Genius Smart Battery Charger
NOCO G3500UK Genius Smart Battery Charger
Price: 35.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and straightforward, 27 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This charger has it all. Switch on and flick through the 'on-board' menus and you are charging without any fuss.
I am using this to charge 'utility' batteries using my solar panels, and then extracting the power at night-time via an inverter.
The unit is chunky, but not heavy, and comes with differing connectors - crocodile clips and loop connectors, so you should be able to find a fixing method that suits your particular battery.
Both connector leads are also fused, for added safety, and the unit comes with a standard 3 pin UK plug fitted.
It has a repair mode, to try and rejuvenate older batteries, and it claims to be fool-proof, which it does seem to be, as even a novice like me didn't make any obvious mistakes.
The instructions are quite detailed (and printed in very small type - please improve this) but you can probably get by without them by studying the 'light-up' pictures on the charger case.
It tells you when it is on 'standby' and also when our battery is charged at 25%, 50%, 75% and Fully charged.
It will charge both 6 volt and 12 volt batteries in both large and small capacities. It also has a special 'cold weather' charging setting - so it is going to be useful if you find yourself stuck over the winter with a dodgy battery.
It comes with 4 screws, so that you can fix it to the wall or worktop, out of the reach of children and away from general clutter.
I am very pleased with the performance of this unit, and will be interested to see how it performs over the longer term.
In the meantime I can't fault it.

Yuasa NP7-12, 12V 7Ah lead acid battery NP7-12
Yuasa NP7-12, 12V 7Ah lead acid battery NP7-12
Offered by Electronics UK
Price: 15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick delivery, good quality battery, 26 Mar 2014
I have this connected to an inverter to give me 240 volts for lights in the evening - as I am using solar panels to charge it during the day, so I get free (ish) light. Comes well packed, delivered by courier. It has two spade connections at one edge and came almost fully charged.
Charges from flat in about 5 hours via this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E907PWS
And my inverter is this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automotive-300W-Powersource-Inverter/dp/B009QYNIWS/ref=cm_pdp_rev_itm_title_1
Very pleased with the quality and construction all round. The same battery I used to have on my motorbike, which is how I knew the name to order.

Ring Automotive 300W Powersource Inverter with USB
Ring Automotive 300W Powersource Inverter with USB
Price: 22.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Noisy cooling fan, but cheap and easy to use, 25 Mar 2014
I am doing some simple experiments to determine how I can best use the output from my solar PV system.
I have a battery, a charger and an inverter (this item) and I am charging up the battery during sunlight hours (or, more accurately, brightish daytime) then using the inverter to retrieve the power into a mains lighting unit in the evenings.
It works well so far - and I can now enjoy about 5 hours of light for free from my simple set up with a 7 amp battery (not counting the cost of the gear!)
This is a small scale set up, but as we are about to move house, and will have the opportunity to install a much more complex system at the new location, it is the basis for my calculations and is working well as that.
The unit is light in weight, plastic shelled and has connectors that terminate in a pair of crocodile clips. The unit has a 3 pin UK plug socket for connecting your mains driven item and also a USB socket to charge your phone, tablet, etc.
There is an on/off switch alongside the plug socket and the connector wires fit to the inverter with a set of supplied plastic headed thumb screws.
Connecting is easy enough - though the correct method of connecting should be remembered to avoid any nasty shocks and sparks.
Connect - red then black.
Disconnect - black then red.
The fan is a little noisy, so it sits in an adjacent room, but other than this it is a good little piece of equipment for the price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20