Profile for Richard T > Reviews

Britain's Empire: Resistance, Repression and Revolt
Britain's Empire: Resistance, Repression and Revolt
by Richard Gott
Price: 18.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Shocked and surprised by the brutality of the British ruling classes., 12 Nov 2011
Britain's Empire is a great book, a brilliant deconstruction of the rose tinted view of empire. I have not been able to read more than a short chapter at a time. Why? because of my complete revulsion at the brutal and genocidal nature of our political, military and business leaders in the time of expansion of empire. No one should be surprised by this, least of all a skeptic like me. However, the sheer scale of the repressive brutality used to subdue, destroy and enslave generations of indigenous people is horrific. I would advise readers to weave the facts into their critique of politicians as we find them now and to absolutely challenge any attempt to portray the so called British Empire as anything but a brutal and genocidal imperialism. Also, I would advise going back to the source material, read about the attitudes of the day in Parliament. Indigenous people were treated as aliens, ripe for destruction when they stood in the way of imperial expansion. Of course, this is hardly a surprise to the people of Ireland, Scotland or Wales.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2012 9:04 PM BST

MAGENTA 'BAT4' BAT DETECTOR , LISTENER , LOCATOR
MAGENTA 'BAT4' BAT DETECTOR , LISTENER , LOCATOR
Offered by Garden Leisure Supplies
Price: 65.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Bat detector, 23 Sep 2010
I thought long and hard about this purchase. Would it have any point?
Yes it has! This is a great easy to operate device. Outside at around 8.30pm
the bats were detected. Such a great noise from the detector.
Friends and family have used it and found no problem with the technique.
I look forward to venturing into the Barr Hill woods or Threave to identify more bats.

I thought the price was Ok and delivery took 2 days. Great resolution to my order.