Profile for Douglas Paulett > Reviews

Content by Douglas Paulett

Douglas Paulett (South Lakes, UK)

Janapar: Love, on a Bike
Janapar: Love, on a Bike
by Tom Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars Philosophical musings from a wandering cyclist, 25 Feb 2013
I really enjoyed this book. The author, Tom Allen, goes beyond a day to day diary of places visited and people encountered. I got the sense that Tom was changed by the experience and in many parts of the book the writing is very philosophical. This provides the reader with some glimpses into his motivation for starting an epic round-the-world cycle trip and the reasons the trip transformed partway. For me, the why of the adventure is as interesting as the how and the what. It's not all inwardly focused however - we also get glimpses into the amazing people and places he sees during his trip through his accounts of his travels through Europe, Africa and the Middle East. The writing is excellent and managed to keep me turning pages far into the night.

Crossover
Crossover

5.0 out of 5 stars Celtic music with a rock edge, 1 May 2012
This review is from: Crossover (MP3 Download)
If you like celtic music with a rock edge to it, then you should like this album. Ashley MacIsaac's fiddle playing is incredible. He rips through Vivaldi's Summer proving that he hasn't lost his chops. There are some excellent toe-tapping numbers along with a quieter piece called She's A Rare One that features Mary Jane Lamond, who sang in Scottish Gaelic on Ashley's 1995 album Hi(tm) How Are You Today?, which is also a great album. I am very much enjoying this album.

The first track on the album is entitled, King Is Back. The king of Cape Breton fiddle is indeed.

Mastrad Tomato Sink Mat (Medium: 32 x 28cm)
Mastrad Tomato Sink Mat (Medium: 32 x 28cm)

5.0 out of 5 stars Colourful protective sink mat, 10 Nov 2011
We have a porcelain sink and we were worried about accidentally dropping glassware in the sink and having it break. This mat helps avoid that situation. It's well made and as it's red, it fits in well with our kitchen decor. The seller, Red Candy, had a stock issue with the size I ordered but offered to ship a larger version free of charge, which was greatly appreciated. Red Candy has been communicative and friendly throughout the process. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.

Great Mountain Days in the Lake District: 50 Great Routes: 50 Classic Routes Exploring the Lakeland Fells
by Mark Richards

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lake District walking guide, 2 Nov 2011
As a new resident, I had previously purchased several guides on Lake District walking routes. This one is by far the best. The route descriptions are excellent and the photos inspiring. I quite like the perspective view of the routes - this gives you a birds-eye view of the route and allows you to see the peaks and valleys more easily than the standard overhead map view. I generally use 1:25k OS maps for route planning and I find the maps in the book a little less detailed. Not a big problem but I prefer to see more detail when planning a route.

What I like the best about this book is quite simply, the content. As I leaf through the book, I will read a route and think, I must do this one soon. As I turn to the next route, I have the same reaction all over again. As a result, I have a long list of walks that I am planning to do, all of them taken from this book. The other books that I previously purchased have stayed on the shelf. The only drawback to the routes in this book is that there are many that are quite long and require a lot of time in the day to complete. So if you want to get out for a couple of hours in the afternoon, you likely won't be walking any of these routes.

All in all, this is a great book if you want to explore the mountains of the Lake District.

cellePhone PolarCell battery Li-Ion for Nokia 5800 XpressMusic / 5230 / C3-00 / N900 / X6 8GB 16GB 32GB / Asha 200 201 ( replaced BL-5J )
Offered by cellePhone

5.0 out of 5 stars Good replacement battery for Nokia 5800, 2 Nov 2011
My Nokia 5800 XpressMusic is about 2 years old and I had been noticing that the original battery would go from full strength to 1 bar in a matter of minutes without warning. I took this to mean that the battery was getting old. Also, I use the GPS functions of my phone on a regular basis and this drains the battery quite quickly. When it was new, I could run the GPS for 6-8 hours. 2 years later and I am getting 2 hours before it wants to power off due to low battery. I replaced the ageing battery with the PolarCell battery and I am back to at least 6 hours of GPS use (I haven't tried anything longer). I can't comment on its longevity yet as I have only been using it for about 3 weeks but so far I am very happy with it and I can go for long GPS-assisted mountain bike rides without worrying about my GPS dying!

TECHGEAR - PREMIUM 3 PACK OF *BLACK TOP* NOKIA 5800 XPRESSMUSIC STYLUS - Exact replica to original, Strong Rigid Build
Offered by TECHGEAR Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Works better than original, 2 Nov 2011
I ordered these on a Thursday afternoon and they were in my mailbox on Friday morning. Fast and free delivery. They are rigid and fit perfectly in my 5800 Xpressmusic phone. My original stylus was loose in the slot and as a result it fell out and I lost it. This stylus seems to fit more snugly so I am hoping that it won't fall out. Given that I have 3 now, and for the price, it's not a big deal if I do lose another one.

ULTIMATEADDONS Bike, Bicycle, Motorbike Mount Kit with Water Resistant Case for Apple iPhone 4 / 4G
Offered by UltimateAddons-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good MTB mount but not waterproof, 9 Sep 2011
I have used this mount kit for attaching my Nokia 5800 smartphone to my mountain bike. I use my phone as a satnav device when I am out riding with OS maps showing the route I am riding. It works very well to mount the phone to my handlebars and normally the maps are visible and I can operate the touchscreen through the plastic face. It's stable, secure and the phone doesn't move except after really rocky descents where the bike has been battered. I took it on a milti-day trip where it rained pretty much every day and I found that moisture passed into the phone compartment by way of the neoprene on the back of the case. This resulted in a damp phone but more annoyingly, the plastic front of the case was constantly fogged up on the inside so I couldn't see the map while navigating. I have solved this by making a waterproof insert for the case that holds my phone. Something to be aware of. Other than that, it is a practical solution for mounting a smartphone to the handlebars. I have used mine for months and hundreds of off-road km and it's still working well.