Profile for K. L. Stephens > Reviews

Content by K. L. Stephens

K. L. Stephens "Katherine Stephens" (South Australia, Australia)

Secrets from the Afterlife
Secrets from the Afterlife
by Colin Fry

5.0 out of 5 stars Ask and you shall receive!, 14 Mar 2008
Well this is a nice read. Just got it the other week, and I recall in a previous review saying that I wished for more writing about the experiences of the show, Sixth Sense, and here they are! Hence, the title. Again this book is such a good read, nicely well written, with both the sense of humour and compassion that people are used to coming from Colin. His heart is in the right place, and for that I am forever thankful for his work. Now, if only we could persuade him to come to Adelaide! Or even Australia. New Zealand is just across the waters, a quick detour wouldn't hurt. But yeah, really good book, nice read, and one to go back on to remember certain things. One: life is worth living. Two: Challenges are there to only show you how strong you really are. This is what I got from the book, and for me that's all that's needed. Thank you again, Colin, for your work. Looking forward to the next one!

Blessed be you all.
Katherine.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 9, 2008 11:20 PM BST

Life Before Death
Life Before Death
by Colin Fry

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 12 May 2007
This review is from: Life Before Death (Paperback)
Good read, was wanting a bit more from the book, but some good insights into the work and mind of Colin were included. In some ways you got to understand more about what he does and how it works. For him. His personality shines through, and you can hear him speak through the words. That gentle way and manner that we have all come to love and enjoy on the stages and shows, and on the television with his show The Sixth Sense. Would like to have heard more of his thoughts and experiences with the show.

The Eye Of The World: Book 1 of the Wheel of Time: 1/12
The Eye Of The World: Book 1 of the Wheel of Time: 1/12
by Robert Jordan
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars My fave., 20 April 2006
Ok, I absolutely love the series. Really speaks volumes in the action, the magic, and the hardship that travellers have on their journey to find out more about themselves. Brilliant. I personally loved it. The books are easy to read, except perhaps 3-5 when they got a bit slow, but they are a very good read. If you can stand 500+ pages, that is. I say they're worth every word. Every cent. So far there are 11 books. I know how many more are to come, but I won't spoil it for those who haven't read the series yet. Read the series, you won't be disappointed. And don't listen to those who compare it to LoTR, because it's nothing like that series. It's better! :D Ok, so I'm biassed. But I tell the truth. There is no better series.

Keep reading!

Sixth Sense With Colin Fry [DVD]
Sixth Sense With Colin Fry [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Fry

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 22 May 2005
Absolutely! There is no doubting the work that this man does for people. His compassion radiates from the screen into the room, and you feel as if you're actually there. The DVD shows but a tiny part of the whole program, and also takes us into the life and work of Colin himself. My only qualm is that it was too short, and would love to have seen more readings and more insight from the man himself. The scenery shots in Sweden Ramsbergardens are lovely, and makes the College look such a lovely and homely place to study. I love the suits that Colin wears, very sharp, and they fit him well. We need more from this man, a book or another DVD will do nicely. Keep them coming Colin, the world needs more people like you!

Law & Order: Criminal Intent - The First Year [DVD] [2001] [US Import]
Law & Order: Criminal Intent - The First Year [DVD] [2001] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Kathryn Erbe
Offered by passionFlix UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic series., 7 Jan 2005
There is no better TV series like the Law and Order: Criminal Intent series. Though I have not seen the DVD myself, I watch the series every time it's on (or I try to.) Most people might think that it's just another cop show, but it's more than that. The principal actors portray their roles with such ease and confidence, that's it's almost hard to believe you're watching a show taped for TV audience. Vincent D'Onofrio plays Goren, a brilliant-minded detective of the squad, based in the US. Goren is not only brilliant-minded, but his quick wit and sarcastic humour make him a one in a million character, and almost makes him seem crazy at times, but anyone will be very mistaken as to think that. Many have tried, but none can match the shear beauty and "dance" that D'Onofrio brings to the show. He is teamed up with the equally brilliant Detective Alexandra Eames played by Kathryn Erbe, and their back-and-forth action and the fun they obviously have when acting the couple to each other are unmatched. The only two people that have had that same chemistry when working together were Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny (Dana Scully and Fox Mulder respectively) in the hit series The X-Files. The best line in the show would have to be when they played Erbe's now obvious pregnancy into the show, by getting Eames to say (while Goren was "playing" with a wound on a corpses' head): "If you keep playing with that, I'm going to drop the baby right here!" (Not the exact words, but along those lines.) Classic! Made me laugh. It's very clear that they love working together, and if things go well for the series, it will live long in the homes of people watching and waiting for what will unfold next. Another fantastic show, and hopefully soon be on Region 2 or 4 Pal, so I can buy the box set.

After Life: Answers from the Other Side
After Life: Answers from the Other Side
by John Edward

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites., 5 Nov 2004
This would have to be one of the best he's written. If John wasn't a medium, he'd be fantastic as an author. This book touches up on subjects such as personal experiences and experiences of those around him, the trip to Aus a year back, and a whole lot more that we don't even know about. Such a delight to read, couldn't put it down. This book will make you laugh and cry as it did me, and even if you're not a believer, or just one who wishes to advance on knowledge and open the mind, this book is for you. Keep in mind this simple saying (don't know who said it, but it's nice): You can be a skeptic, and you can be a non-believer, but please don't let yourself become a cynic on this subject. Allow people to keep their belief system, different from yours though it may be, and open up the mind to an infinite world of possibilities and challenges. Make this book part of your collection now. You won't be disappointed I can personally gaurantee it. Another 10/10 production from the man himself, John Edward.

Live at Knebworth
Live at Knebworth
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars CD vs DVD, 26 Mar 2004
This review is from: Live at Knebworth (Audio CD)
Ok, obviously this is not the visual aspect of the concert/tour, but it does capture the best of the best from the performances over the 3 nights. I can deffinately feel the energy and emotion delivered by Robbie, his band and his audience, and listening to it through the headphones at vol 25 is just like being next to loud speakers at a live performance. He is very honest when he says that they are "about to witness the best show in the world right now", but I would rather have heard the DVD's "and for the next 2 hours, your arse is mine!" I think it's fantastic what he did with the song She's the One, and the spooky intro to Nan's Song is great. The screaming bit in Let Me Entertain You and the audience participation through We Will Rock You and Angels is clearly heard, with neither artist nor audience drowning out the other. With the few noticeable ommissions of Rock DJ, Strong, and Back for Good, and the play up with Barbie girl being his "favourite song of all time" just before Bojangles, it is not complete in its own way. And once again, the bridges from Nan's Song and Better Man are missing, making the songs incomplete. And I would've liked to have heard the full version of the "Guitar bit", and the full version of the interaction with the couple before She's the One, but you can't have everything. Just like every CD and DVD of his that I have I am surprised that it still works because I have listened to it so many times before. Just one last thing: I am so glad that the CD added the audience interaction in Bojangles. It just shows how much he cares for his people and always makes sure everyone gets a piece of the action. Another 10/10 product from the world's greatest performer.

Robbie Williams Show [DVD] [2003]
Robbie Williams Show [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Robbie Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars One for the ages, 25 Mar 2004
This was actually my first Robbie DVD I got (Christmas 2003 gift) and quite frankly, I am surprised it still works because I have played it so many times since then. Though the studio seems small compared to most others, Robbie uses the space well and brings out a performance like no other. Basically this is a promotion for his new recent albumn at the time Escapology, but he brings his earlier work out with the style that is Robbie Williams. Songs like Rock DJ and Angels which we all love stand out, as well as some of the Swing songs like Bojangles, Ain't That a Kick in the Head, Have you Met Miss Jones and One For My Baby are presented in the style that only he can deliver. Plus all his songs off of Escapology, with How Peculiar and Revolution added as extras. In the same section as those two, Nan's Song and Feel can be found, and these are seen in front of the audience. (Even after he tells them to clap in time, they are still out. Anyone else notice that?) There was one addition that wasn't/isn't on any of his CD's, called One Fine Day. Great song, and I hope one day he adds it to a CD. Extra footage can be seen by winning the Lights game three times (and it ain't easy), and so far I have seen three different bits of footage: Where he talks about the tour, where he plays along with the band the song Sweet Home Alabama, and when he introduces us to Nan's Song. With only a few ommissions, noticably Let me Entertain You, Millennium and Love Supreme, with the opening Rock DJ, and the closing Angels, this is one DVD to buy, remember, watch and cherish over and over again. Even after all this time, I am captivated by his performance, and the doco What a Performance is a great viewing of the behind the scenes making of the performance. Watch and be proud that once again he has delivered to us a stunning concert. Oh, and watch carefully because you might miss this: Robbie's reaction when he realises he mixed up the words in Ain't that a Kick, and during the same song, trips over the microphone stand. Not so much as funny as a quirky moment that might be missed if not viewed closely. All in all, another 10/10 performance by the man himself, Mr. Robbie Williams.

What We Did Last Summer [DVD] [2003]
What We Did Last Summer [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Robbie Williams
Offered by qualityfilmsfromuk

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant performer, great DVD, but quality? Where was that?, 4 Feb 2004
As always RW has shown the world why he is who he is: The performer who has everything and is not about to hold anything back. The former front-man of the immensly popular band of its time Take That has proven hundreds of times over that he has made it through against all odds, and this DVD is no exception. He'll make you laugh, cry, sing and dance till you drop exhausted from all the energy flowing out of another top performance. But why stop there? The crowd's reaction is no less than expected, being both touched and lifted by his honest and emotion-filled speeches throughout between songs. His heart is in its right place during Feel, so much so that he himself is reduced to tears at the end, and don't you just wish you could reach through the screen and give him a huge hug when he calls out to his people like a child lost "Hello... Hello... Is there anyone out there?... Is there anyone out there?!" (Or is it just me?) I have never, in my life seen a crowd that huge before. And I though the SkyShow in Adelaide got crowded! (And you don't even want to think of moving when the fireworks start!) The looked out for song Back for Good is one of the prizes on the 2nd DVD for not killing off Robbie, and even though I love the song, I don't think I like that version.
Oh, and why only 4 stars? Well, in my opinion, or just my copy, for about a qarter of the way through, the quality of the taping leaves much to be desired. What was with all those images and crowd shots? And the camera cuts were terrible. We know how big the crowd was, and we could see all the various images on the backdrop, so... I don't know. Maybe it is just my copy. And Nan's Song was missing the bridge. What was with that? I think another was cut short, too (apart from the obvious We Will Rock You) but I can't recall what that was.
But, Oh my God, weren't those fantastic shots of the cameras going off at the same time? Absolutely magical.
All in all, a must have for any collection, any person's home, and one that won't go out of fasion. Keep 'em coming Robbie. We love ya mate!