Profile for Deano > Reviews

Rocker BMX Mini BMX Bike iROK METAL Rocker
Rocker BMX Mini BMX Bike iROK METAL Rocker
Offered by Stomp Racing

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Feb. 2015
A fab bike with great customer service!

Honey and Blood
Honey and Blood

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Honey and Blood (Audio CD)
An excellent album from Newport's finest!

Birth of a Killer (The Saga of Larten Crepsley, Book 1)
Birth of a Killer (The Saga of Larten Crepsley, Book 1)
by Darren Shan

4.0 out of 5 stars (4.5 STAR) I'll never get bored of Darren Shan!, 3 Oct. 2012
This was a really enjoyable book that got me so hooked! I finished it in the four days I had to give it back. Usually, I'd be alot longer and was worried I wouldn't get it back in time, and I must say, if it wasn't such a gripping, exciting, interesting novel, I probably wouldn't of got it back in time!This is the first book of The Saga of Larten Crepsley, which is a prequel of The Saga of Darren Shan series. In ways, I already prefer this to the Darren Shan books, but I guess its too early to say yet.
It takes us to Larten Crepsley as a child, around the 18th - 19th century. Recent events has caused him to flee his home and get as far away from the city as possible. While staying the night, he crosses paths with the very mysterious, Seba Nile, who he later finds out is a vampire! This takes us back to the time when Larten Crepsley turned down humanity, joined the creatures of the night.
This story is full of adventure, many familiar characters and lots of familiar places which we all enjoyed in the Darren Shan series. However, there is one criticism. The book (and this applies to some the Darren Shan books) just didn't have any action in it! Its still great book but I hope the following novels have a bit more action.
On the whole, a really enjoyable book that fans of Mr. Shan will love.
A start of a great series!

Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief
Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief
by Rick Riordan

5.0 out of 5 stars I just know this series is going to be HUGE!, 29 Aug. 2012
I bought this book after seeing the film, which I am guilty of! From the first page I was hooked onto this new world of myth and monsters and Greeks and... hang on a minute! We're in the 21'st century! That's what I though reading this book. What Rick Riordan has done has brought Ancient Greece, myth and monsters merged with the modern world, which I thought was a wicked idea! Original, and fantastic! The way he writes is really friendly and easy going so it's like he's talking to you which makes it easier to read.

The story starts in New York, and a boy named Percy Jackson is on a school trip in a Greek museum. Later that day his teacher suddenly turns into a monster and attacks him! Sooner or later, Percy realises that there was a reason his dad was never around... as his dad is Poseidon! God of the Sea! Percy is sucked into a world where there are many people like him, but also many like his teacher...

This book is a really fun read which will one day be a classic! It's good for all ages really if you like fantasy and stuff like that. This leads on to a great series and an even better spin off one: The Heroes of Olympus!
You will not be disappointed :)

Cirque Du Freak (The Saga of Darren Shan Book 1)
Cirque Du Freak (The Saga of Darren Shan Book 1)
by Darren Shan

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't worry! It won't be another Twilight!, 29 Aug. 2012
First things first, this is no where near being a "Twilight kinda' book"! This will appeal to the boys but not so much to the girls so stick to Edward Cullen and his bad hair-do girls! It's quite a small book but there are lots in the series so that balances it out a bit. The book is slow but it builds it up for all the other great books (as I'm doing this review having finished the series) !

The story is about a very mediocre boy named Darren Shan. Darren and his friends are given tickets to watch a freack show called the Cirque du Freak. In this show consists of many wondrous people including Gertha Teeth, Cormack Limbs and the scary Wolf Man! Not only those, but also a strange man called Mr.Creplsy. Darren's friend, Steve Leonard, soon realises that Mr.Crepsly is a vampire! A whole new world begins to unfold for Darren starting with the mysterious spider, Madame Octa...

This book isn't the best in the series but the saga is absoloutly wicked! You really must give this a go. It may not seem interesting for the first two or three books but the ending is fantastic!
A great series ;)

Red Leech (Young Sherlock Holmes)
Red Leech (Young Sherlock Holmes)
by Andrew Lane

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great detective story!, 29 Aug. 2012
I'm really enjoying the series of Young Sherlock Holmes. I read the first as a bit of a stab in the dark and now i'm encased in reading these books! The books are great because not only does Sherlock gain more knowledge, the reader does aswell! This is a really good detective story which also links in with real life events including the assassination of Lincoln and the War of the States. I thought it was clever of him to include events that of happened and it worked really well.

The story begins in Farnham, where Sherlock is living with his aunt and uncle in Holmes Manor. His brother, Mycroft, has came to visit him, but mainly to see Amyus Crowe(Sherlock's tutor)about a strange appearance of a man who's meant to be dead, apparently living close to Farnham. This man is supposed to be the famous assassin who killed President Lincoln, Mr. John Wilkes Booth. So they ask; Why would a famous assassin who's supposed to be dead be living in the quiet town of Godalming? And so Sherlock and his friends set out to crack a case which leads them overseas to America!

The characters are great to read about(Amyus Crowe being my favourite). There's action, mystery, stange murders, creepy villans and even a bit of romance!A great book for someone into teen fiction and mystery. I you are a fan of Sherlock Holmes you will like this series. I'm looking forward to reading the next installment, Black Ice!
Enjoy!

Gone
Gone
by Michael Grant

5.0 out of 5 stars This is fiction at its BEST!, 28 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Gone (Paperback)
I was extremely excited about reading this book! There was allot of hype about it so I gave it a go. From the first page, (which I must say draws you in like some one pulling you!) I was absolutely hooked! The story is very fast paced for such a big book. The font, (and I am quite fussy about this) was a nice size to read which made it easier. I also love the yellow edged pages!

The storyline, is about every person, 15 and over, disappearing from the small town of Perdido Beach with a large dome surrounding the town. Not only that, but many of the kids (and some of the animals) have started to develop strange powers. Sounds a bit random, don't you think? With the adults gone, no one plays by the rules. Some of them venture for control, others merely keep the town running and not falling apart! But with the kids from Coates Academy taking control of the town, that's not good news...

This book is fantastic, because you start to imagine; How would you cope without your mum and dad around? The characters are great to read about. They develop, they interest you and it feels like you're going through this with them. This is a great plot but a serious one too. Even my mum and dad and their friends were interested in this and they don't like reading!
Please read this! You won't find fiction better than this!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter Celebratory Edtn)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter Celebratory Edtn)
by J.K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars Why doesn't everyone just give it a FIVE STAR!, 12 Aug. 2012
Harry Potter. What a series! From book one to seven they have been amazing. This book had to be one of the best finales to a series ever! J.K.Rowling is one of my favorite authors after reading this series. Not like other books where they make a small creation around the book she created an entirely new world! Every detail of the wizarding world is made with thought. As the books progress you become so familiar the world that it's almost as if you live in it!
I love the magical plot of the mysterious Horecruxes. J.K. Rowling must've spent a long time making up these magical objects... Also, I liked the idea of the Deathly Hallows and the Elder wand's story how you win the wand by beating the owner in a duel as it's the most powerful wand on earth. This leads to a very unexpected twist at the end...
There is a final battle at Hogwarts that couldn't have been any better! And a final duel between Voldemort and Harry at the end!
It is sad to see some characters dead as all of them have grown up with us as if they are our family. You must read this before you see the films (Part 1 and 2). I want to thank J.K.Rowling for giving us one of the greatest franchises of books ever. These books will stay with you long after you've finished them...
Harry Potter... The Boy who Lived...

Death Cloud: 1 (Young Sherlock Holmes)
Death Cloud: 1 (Young Sherlock Holmes)
by Andrew Lane

5.0 out of 5 stars (4.5 STAR) A very well plotted detective story!, 12 Aug. 2012
I really enjoyed reading this book as I love Conan Doyle's Sherlock, the BBC series of SHERLOCK and the latest duo of the the Robert Downey Jr. films, Sherlock Holmes and Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows. I am 13 years old, and I must say that any boy my age looking for a bit of a teenage action, mystery or adventure book should give this a go! I disagreed with the other bad reviews as it's really good!
Sherlock is 14, and has to live with his Aunt and Uncle in the countryside. All is supposed to be dull and boring until Sherlock comes across two dead corpses covered in boils! Many presume this is the work the plague, but knowing Sherlock Holmes, he believes that that nothing is that simple... So, Sherlock sets on finishing this case leading him around England and eventually to London. With Sherlock's new friend, Matthew Arnnat, new tutor, Amyus Crowe, and Crowe's daughter, Virginia Crowe, they try to figure out the mystery behind the deaths...
The plot is great and well thought out! There is unexpected twists, action, adventure and plans to bring down England's empire. A must read for a young teenager looking for a new read.
I am looking forward to the next installment, Red Leech!
Thank you Andrew Lane!

Mockingjay (part III of The Hunger Games Trilogy)
Mockingjay (part III of The Hunger Games Trilogy)
by Suzanne Collins

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK read... but the hunger is gone..., 6 Aug. 2012
Well, I don't really know where to start with this. Definitely the worst of the trio. For The Hunger Games, I give 5 star. For Catching Fire, a 5. For the first part of Mockingjay, a 4. The last part, a 1. You will probably be screaming at me now for dissing such a great story. In a way, I agree with you! I don't want to say it, but I thought it was NO WHERE NEAR as good as the first two.

The build up is quite slow, but I guess in the other two it was, but then finished on a high! This one just sinks lower and lower... The last half is totally rushed and the plot is packed in with so much you cant take acount of it! This could've been so much better. I don't mean to say this, but I think I could've done a better job at writing this book than Collins and i'm 13. I'm sure the person reading this could as well!

The last of a series should be a mighty finale where good triumphs against evil, or the entire opposite, an extremely unexpected twist! But the end didn't really tell you anything. Another downer, was killing off ( I won't say who ) vital characters. There was no need.
It was OK on the whole. But ONLY OK. I wouldn't be ashamed of anyone who just reads the first as it finishes like a single book. But still a fantastic series on the whole.
Series - 4 1/2 star!