Profile for tillyschneider > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
God Is In The House [DVD] [2009]
God Is In The House [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Nick Cave

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning snapshot of the coolest band on the planet, 2 Feb 2013
I have never been lucky enough to see Nick Cave and/or the Bad Seeds live, and this fabulous video only makes me realise all the more what I have missed out on - especially as we are unlikely to see this line-up of the Bad Seeds together again. Nick Cave's songs are so beautiful, and seeing him perform them live, even on video, is a very emotional experience. I well up, I think, just because the songs and the performances are so amazing! It's hard to imagine a cooler concert anywhere on the planet. There are 14 songs in the concert, all superb versions of great songs - several of my absolute favourites, though that is a matter of taste; No More Shall We Part and Boatman's Call are my favourite NC albums, and they are well represented here. To go from the sublime Into My Arms and God Is In The House to the rocking Papa Won't Leave You Henry, Saint Huck and the finale, a fab performance of The Curse of Millhaven, during which Nick introduces each member of the band by turn as part of the performance, is breathtaking - oh to have been there!

The DVD is great - apart from the concert, there are a few extras, all excellent - the recording session for No More Shall We Part and the official videos for three songs, including the utterly fabulous video for Fifteen Feet of Pure White Snow. And you also have the option to choose individual songs from the concert, which is a nice touch.

A brilliant DVD, unmissable for fans of Nick and the Bad Seeds - great to watch, great to dance to, to watch Nick dance in his cool suit, to watch Warren Ellis leaping and crouching and doing his thing (there's a lovely bit where Nick mops the sweat from Warren's face - I love those guys!), great just to sit back to and absorb all that coolness. God, Nick is amazing.

Mixed Size Stars Wall Art Decoration Window Loose Stickers Decal (Gold, 77 Mixed Stars)
Offered by i.Lifeuk
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 27 Jan 2013
These stars are great - I bought them to decorate my living room at Christmas, and I just loved them. There are some that are two stars in one, so that on the sheet there is a big star with a smaller star inside it, and these can be difficult to separate, but it's great to have a mixture of solid stars and outlined stars (if that makes sense!). I bought a gold and a silver set, and they really are fab - they stick very well, there are a lot of stars, they looked great by candlelight.

Also worth mentioning that I was impressed by the packaging - just two sheets, folded, and sent in an envelope - no plastic, no excess packaging at all, which is refreshing, but adequately protected, and arrived quickly. I can reuse them next year (though some were damaged - I was a bit slapdash taking them off the wall, they need a bit of patience at times, they are slightly fragile, but just need a bit of care). I am a convert to wall stickers!

No More Shall We Part
No More Shall We Part

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 27 Jan 2013
This review is from: No More Shall We Part (Audio CD)
I don't think anyone writes more beautiful songs than Nick Cave, and this record contains a number of his most beautiful songs. As I Sat Sadly By Her Side, Hallelujah (his own, not a cover of the Leonard Cohen song!), God Is In The House, The Sorrowful Wife, the eponymous And No More Shall We Part and Fifteen Feet of Pure White Snow are all heartstoppingly beautiful. The depth of the lyrics, the intensity of Nick's singing, the beautiful piano and the sound of the Bad Seeds - especially Warren Ellis's violin - all make for a truly mesmerising album, and there is not a weak song on it. One of my favourite records by one of the very greatest recording artists around.

And do look for the video of Fifteen Feet of Pure White Snow on youtube - it's fabulous!

If you don't know Nick Cave's music well, I would recommend this or The Boatman's Call as a good place to start.

Stylish tree and birds Wall Stickers for home art decoration
Stylish tree and birds Wall Stickers for home art decoration
Offered by Abbey Rabbit
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely - but fell down!, 27 Jan 2013
I love these stickers - the basic tree is beautiful, and I love the fact that the leaves are all separate so you can arrange them as you like. The only problem is that they don't stick as well as I'd hoped, and the tree trunk part fell down overnight. I don't know if it's because it was quite near a radiator, or that the surface of my walls is not stickable enough, or if the stickers are just not quite sticky enough. The smaller stickers are OK, but it seems as though the bigger (and therefore heavier) parts don't have quite enough adhesive power to compensate for the size, and gravity does its thing. I am persevering, though, because they are beautiful, and I love having a tree in my living room!

A Tapestry of Carols
A Tapestry of Carols
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A true modern classic, 19 Dec 2012
I have loved Maddy Prior since Steeleye Span days in the early 70s, and my Mum bought the LP of this when it came out - I have always loved it. I love Maddy's voice - it is so strong and pure and expressive; and her collaboration with the Carnival Band has been fabulous. This is probably my favourite Christmas album of all - traditional carols performed in a traditional way - carols are songs for and of the people, rather than choral works, and this is a wonderful reminder of that. The use of early instruments and simple but stunning harmonies, with Maddy's vocals holding it all together, is so Christmassy, it's impossible not to sing and sometimes dance along! There is a lovely range of emotions, from the jollity of Ding Dong Merrily on High through the rousing God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen to the heartbreakingly beautiful Coventry Carol. They tour most years at Christmas, and I love to see them live, their shows are so entertaining, but for me, Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without this album - and Carols and Capers, which you will also need, not least because it contains the Boar's Head carol, which you need to hear!

Basically, if you like carols sung in a folky sort of way - sung well but sung as you or I might want to sing them, with some wonderful instrumental playing - this is perfect. Can't help but feel that magical tingle of Christmas from the first note!

Vax Steam Mop - S2S-1 Bare Floor Pro With Detergent
Vax Steam Mop - S2S-1 Bare Floor Pro With Detergent
Price: 47.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat, easy, quick, no mess, 6 Dec 2012
I bought this mainly because I live in a flat that has no outside drain and also has small floor areas - it always seems a palaver to use a mop and bucket, and I hate tipping the dirty water down the sink or into the bath. This solves the problem beautifully - no bucket to empty, and is much quicker than using a mop and bucket to clean. As it is constantly using fresh water from its tank, it is also presumably more hygienic than putting the mop back into dirty water each time. When you've finished, it just stands on its cooling tray, neatly in a corner or in the cupboard.

It was very easy to assemble and use, seems sturdy, and I am impressed with how well it cleans. There are different settings, for normal cleaning, spot cleaning and heavy soil, easily operated by a dial, and the whole thing is neat, easy to use and efficient, which is all I need! Cleaning the floors is now far less of a chore than it was - would definitely recommend this steam mop.

Cream Enamel Metal Peg Bucket
Cream Enamel Metal Peg Bucket
Offered by The Mutt's Nuts
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, stylish and fun, 5 Sep 2012
I love this peg bucket (and there's a phrase I didn't necessarily expect to hear myself ever saying! I need to get out more...) It is light but sturdy, holds a good number of pegs, they are easy to get at, and I love the look of the bucket. I enjoy hanging washing on the line (I really do need to get out more!!), and it makes the whole thing even more fun. A good buy.

Sony CMTBX77DBI Mini Hi-Fi with DAB Radio and iPod Dock
Sony CMTBX77DBI Mini Hi-Fi with DAB Radio and iPod Dock

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent system, 24 Jun 2012
I bought this hi-fi about 4 years ago, and it's been fantastic. I wanted something for my bedroom, as I have a larger hi-fi separates system in the living room, but also wanted digital radio and an iPod dock. It is very neat and stylish, the digital display is subtle and not intrusive, the speakers have a decent length of lead so that you can position them well (though I admit I have mine on either side of the hifi itself!), and for me, the sound is excellent. Others have complained about the seemingly flimsy wire aerial, and I must admit I was a bit dubious when I first saw it, but I have had excellent reception in two houses in different towns, and currently live somewhere where digital reception is not the best, yet have had no problems - the wire is wound up and hooked at the back of the hi-fi, so is out of sight but works perfectly. Presets on the radio were easy, and even after powercuts I have not lost them. I absolutely love this hi-fi, and would not hesitate to recommend it. It combines, for me, perfect functional ability with good looks and practicality - easy to install, easy to use, good remote control, combines all the functions I need in a very satisfying way. Four years on, I love it more and more.

Andrew James Ice Cream, Sorbet and Frozen Yoghurt Maker Machine 1.45 Litre + 128 Page Recipe Book - As voted "Best Buy" Ice Cream Maker By Which Magazine
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD
Price: 69.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 15 May 2012
I have only used this twice, but the results have been fantastic. First was frozen yoghurt, as I had some raspberries in the freezer and a pot of yoghurt in the fridge and couldn't wait to try out the machine. Second was rice ice cream, which I have had in Italy and loved - just made it with a tin of rice pudding and a pot of cream, and it was amazing! Only took 10 minutes to churn, and was perfect consistency. The free book that comes with it is excellent for inspiring quick and easy suggestions - I have never made my own ice cream before, so am happy to start with easy things (eg there are recipes using cartons of readymade custard, tinned apricots, etc - storecupboard ingredients), but am looking forward to experimenting with all sorts of flavours that are not available commercially. You can make frozen yoghurt just by pouring a carton of your favourite yoghurt in and churning - I made fat free frozen vanilla yoghurt in ten minutes - to counterbalance the cream-rich ice cream! Delicious.

It is easy to use and easy to clean, and a good sized bowl. It would be even better if spare inner bowls were available, so that you could have two in the freezer at once and make two different flavours without having to clean and refreeze the bowl, but I suppose at this price I could just buy another ice cream maker! I love it, and thinking of what to make for dessert has become a whole lot easier.

Some reviewers have mentioned timings - so far I made the yoghurt in 20 minutes and the rice ice cream in 10 - having chilled the ingredients first. So quick and easy. Pouring the mixture into the chute needs a steady hand (would be great if the opening were slightly bigger, but I imagine it's a balance in terms of keeping the temperature in the bowl down), but I haven't made too much mess! I just love this machine, and would definitely recommend it, even on the evidence of just two experiments - I will add a comment if I do find any problems.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2012 3:28 PM BST

Kurtis Dunloe Outdoor Garden Chairs (2 Pieces)
Kurtis Dunloe Outdoor Garden Chairs (2 Pieces)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent chairs, great value, 10 May 2012
These chairs are great - I wanted to replace two folding wooden chairs that had broken, and wanted something with arms, and liked the look of these - they look fab on my balcony, and are very comfortable (even for my wide bottom!) and feel sturdy. Sadly the sun has failed to do its stuff since I bought them, so they have not had much use yet! I will store them away in the winter - of course they don't fold, but they do stack, so won't take up too much room in the shed. Lovely chairs, very happy with my purchase.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2012 2:02 PM BST