Profile for Spencer Newman > Reviews

Food Rules: An Eater's Manual
by Michael Pollan
Price: 4.74

3.0 out of 5 stars A useful little book, 8 Jan 2011
A very simple little book which you can flick through for information about the food we buy and eat. A lot of it is common sense, that we seem to ignore until we see it written down on the page in front of us, other information was new to me and since reading this book I have found myself looking at the ingredients a lot more when I'm doing my shopping.

I'm glad I read this little book and at such a cheap price, what is there to lose?

The Gruffalo
The Gruffalo
by Julia Donaldson
Price: 4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A children's modern classic., 8 Jan 2011
This review is from: The Gruffalo (Paperback)
I brought this book after hearing it being read by Julia Donaldson on The Jeremy Vine Show on Radio 2 in 2009. It was the winner of the Bedtime Stories vote. It completely deserves that vote. I heard it while driving home from work and ordered it on Amazon as soon as I got in.

I have to say that I love this book as much as my daughter. She was one and a half at the time and I still read it to her regularly. It has a great rhyme and a great story as well as wonderful illustrations by Axel Scheffler.

A children's modern classic.

Lifeguard
Lifeguard
by James Patterson With Andrew Gross
Price: 7.27

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for a summer read, 7 Jan 2011
This review is from: Lifeguard (Paperback)
Ned, a lifeguard looking to change his luck, gets involved in a art heist that goes terribly wrong. He and his friends are set up and his friends end up dead. Ned runs from the police knowing he will be prime suspect and tries to find out who was behind the set-up and to blame for his friends murders.

James Patterson will never win the Nobel prize for literature or the Man Booker prize, but he should be recognized for being an entertaining storyteller. Many people don't like his over-the-top action and cliché filled pages, but they are fun and fast books to read that are prefect for lazing next to the pool or on the beach with.

With all of Patterson's books, each chapter is about two or three pages (sometimes even one page) that tempts you to read 'just one more chapter' and you end up reading half the book in one sitting.

If you are looking for lighthearted entertainment, then this book is a great place to start.

Six Graves to Munich
Six Graves to Munich
by Mario Puzo
Price: 6.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful quick read, 2 Jan 2011
This review is from: Six Graves to Munich (Paperback)
In 1945 seven Gestapo officers tortured Michael Rogan, murdered his pregnant wife and then shot him. They left his body in a pile of corpses and carried on with thier lives. But Rogan wasn't dead and after ten years of recovering from his wounds and suffering nightmares of his ordeal he is after revenge.

This book was originally published under the pen name Mario Cleri and was written before The Godfather in 1967. However, I had to keep reminding myself that it was written so long ago as it didn't seem dated at all. (Not implying that all novels written before my birth are dated, I just haven't read many written that long ago and was surprised at how modern it felt) It is a fast moving and gripping novel. With only 246 pages and fairly large type, it makes for a quick read, but no less enjoyable. It would be a prefect read for the plane.

I've never read any of Mario Puzo's other books, so I can't compare to his usual style, but would recommend this book.

It's Not What You Think
It's Not What You Think
by Chris Evans
Price: 6.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me see a different side of Mr Evans, 31 Dec 2010
Apart from Don't Forget Your Toothbrush, I was never really a fan of Chris Evans, always turning off the radio once Steve Wright went off air. However, I was interested how he became so successful and made so much money. Then I saw him in an interview about the book and he was talking about the chapter he wrote about his late father. I found it very moving and so brought the book.
I am glad I did. Mr Evans is a very positive person and reading the book made me feel more positive and I felt like I understood more about why he is like he is. It really changed my impression of him and I now listen to him each morning.
This book is his first biography and leads up to buying Virgin Radio. Although he doesn't go into great detail about all the events in his life, he has touched along all the important parts and so it moves the book along smoothly.

Self-confidence: The Remarkable Truth of Why a Small Change Can Make a Big Difference
by Paul McGee

4.0 out of 5 stars McGee is a straight-talking kinda guy, 31 Dec 2010
Paul McGee has written a great book on Self-confidence. It is written as if he was talking to you - it's very straight forward and easy to read and take in. The writing is spaced out and you don't realise how much you are reading as it is in almost bite sized chunks.
He provides many personal stories as examples and explains why it is important to step out of your comfort zone and to do it in little steps. He also encourages people to email him throughout the book.

Everything Ravaged Everything Burned
Everything Ravaged Everything Burned
by Wells Tower
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Great collection of short stories, 31 Dec 2010
I'm not usually one for short stories, but seeing that The Times wrote 'Sentences so good you want to cut them out and pin them to the wall' I was willing to get it a go.
The Times was right, Wells Tower has a great grasp of the English language and manages to put together great sentences in so few words that most others would have to write a paragraph to get the same message across.
I found all nine stories entertaining and I like that he experimented with writing in different view points (1st and 3rd person as well as 2nd person). Each story is so different from the rest.

The Book Thief
The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books!, 31 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Book Thief (Paperback)
I kept looking at buying this book when it first came out in hardback purely because I found the cover so intriguing. I'd read the brief information about it and decided it wasn't for me. The idea that the book was narrated by Death seemed too silly. When the paperback came out I couldn't help but buy it and I'm glad I did. It is such a wonderful book and very touching at times and the narration works brilliantly.

The Historian
The Historian
by Elizabeth Kostova
Price: 6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars I had to give up!, 31 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Historian (Paperback)
I really wanted to enjoy this book, but found it a real struggle to pick up each night. Not because it is over 700 pages, but because I found it too slow and boring. Kostova does a great job of building up an atmosphere, but she goes into too much detail and history about the places we visit in the book and I felt the plot wasn't moving along. I managed to get through over 400 pages before I gave up, but it was taking me a lifetime to get through.

The Game: Undercover in the Secret Society of Pickup Artists
The Game: Undercover in the Secret Society of Pickup Artists
by Neil Strauss
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Read it just for a laugh!, 31 Dec 2010
I read this book with a pinch of salt. I haven't and I won't be taking any of the advice it gives on how to pick-up women. I wouldn't have the confidence for a start. However, I did really enjoy reading this book for it's comedy value. It is very rare that I will laugh out loud at a book, but in places this book still had me chuckling a few pages after I had read the funny part. These guys were really living the dream and made loads of money from what they enjoyed doing. Read it and enjoy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4