ARRAY(0xac509eac)

Doo-Wops and Hooligans
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album!, 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: Doo-Wops and Hooligans (Audio CD)
I can't believe how long it has taken me to actually listen to Bruno Mars. He is an amazing singer/songwriter. This is one of the best albums I have listened to in a long time. He uses different styles throughout the album, and every song is great - no album fillers here!

Amazing Grass, Antioxidant Berry Drink Powder 30 Servings 7.4oz (210g)
Amazing Grass, Antioxidant Berry Drink Powder 30 Servings 7.4oz (210g)
Offered by Nature's Remedies
Price: 18.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but great drink, 13 Nov 2013
I have to admit, my first time of drinking this, I wasn't a fan. However, I reminded myself that I was having it because I was not having enough fruit and veg in my daily diet. I now look forward to having this every morning. The taste has grown on me, especially that I am now mixing it with my favourite fruit juice (Tropicana Body Boost) instead of just water (if you just use water, make sure it is chilled - tastes so much better). I sometimes have two servings a day, and I do notice a difference. I definitely have more energy.

The downside is the price. Although I have noticed it has dropped a few times since my first purchase.

Get the Life You Really Want (Quick Reads) (Quick Reads 2012)
Get the Life You Really Want (Quick Reads) (Quick Reads 2012)
by James Caan

5.0 out of 5 stars Get the book you really need!, 28 Feb 2012
I picked this book up at the library and I am now going to buy myself a copy!

I am a fan of the QuickRead series and when I saw this book I picked it up immediately and started to read it the same day.
I've never read any of the books by the Dragon's Den lot (or watched the TV programme), but I will certainly be buying James Caan's biography.

In this short book, Mr Caan gives simple advice on how to improve you life - setting targets, looking after yourself, releasing your potential, and although there are already many books out there that already do this, Get the Life You Really Want is a real gem. It is written so simply, it is very motivating and inspiring and I think it helps that it is such a short book as it doesn't go on and on with unrealistic examples. In fact the example he uses about his sister starting up a business is something that could encourage many people to do the same thing. (Although it did help that she had a very wealthy brother when she was planning to take her business to another level, but should people wish just want to make some extra money, it demonstrates how easy it can be to set something up yourself)

A very encouraging read. You can't complain at that price.

Blankets
Blankets
by Craig Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm gutted it finished!, 4 Sep 2011
This review is from: Blankets (Paperback)
OK, this is only the 2nd graphic novel I have ever read, so I can't really compare it to others, but as someone new to this genre, I LOVED IT.

Unlike most of the graphic novels that I have seen in shops, this isn't an all action superhero story, this is an autobiographical piece of work with stunning drawings. There isn't much writing in this book, so even though it is nearly 600 pages long, it is a quick read, but I found myself just captivated by some of the illustrations that it took me a lot longer. Especially the drawings from his dreams or imagination. They were fantastic.

The story is about his childhood, growing up in a Christian family and having to share his bed with his younger brother and moves on to his first love and then to early adulthood.

The way he has managed to illustrate his feelings is amazing. I really felt for him during some of his heartache. I was gutted when the book ended as I wanted to see what happens next. I just hope that he will release a follow-up.

Persepolis
Persepolis
by Marjane Satrapi
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised me and educated me., 29 Aug 2011
This review is from: Persepolis (Paperback)
I am not entirely sure what made want to read this book. I'd never read a graphic novel before and the subject isn't something that would normally interest me. I think it may have been the wonderful simplistic black and white illustrations to be honest.

Persepolis is the true story of the author's childhood in Iran during the Islamic Revolution.

Before reading this, I had no knowledge of the history of Iran or any interest, but I really felt that I learnt a lot from this book. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, but because of the subject, I also felt it was sometimes shocking and sad. Living a free life in England it is sometimes hard to imagine the events of the story actually happening and during my own lifetime. This book really made me think about some of my own prejudices that I have towards others without actually knowing anything about them or their past.

An important book that needs to be read.

The Radleys
The Radleys
by Matt Haig
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another 5* for Matt Haig, 29 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Radleys (Paperback)
Once again Matt Haig has not let me down. I absolutely loved The Last Family in England and The Possession of Mr Cave, but I was a little worried about this novel as I am not usually a fan of vampire fiction. However, this story is so excellently written with the skill and wit just like Matt's other novels and I can't imagine another author pulling it off so well.

The Radleys are a family of vampires that are trying to live a normal middle-class life in Bishopthorpe by abstaining from drinking blood and the vampire lifestyle. They listen to Radio 4 and have normal jobs, but when the daughter stops eating meat, things start to go wrong.

It's certainly a book that you want to try to read in one sitting (not something I can do as I am a slow reader) but it just makes you want to keep reading. This would also make a great film.

I can't wait for a follow-up.

The Possession of Mr Cave
The Possession of Mr Cave
by Matt Haig
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 3 May 2011
I can completely understand the other reviewer when he mentions this being an uncomfortable read and not sure what rating to give it, but I have decided to go for a five.

It can be uncomfortable at times, but it should be. A subject like this shouldn't be easy. However, although it is very dark, Matt Haig has made parts witty, although, the story being so dark, there were probably times that I missed some of the wit.

It is amazingly addictive and I just found myself wanted to continue reading just a bit more before I turned the lights out. I felt for Mr Cave and his daughter and can understand the fears he had for her. As must every father of a young daughter. Matt Haig, even in his young age seems to have captured the mind of a middle-aged father (that is losing his mind) and that of a teenage girl brilliantly. The characters really came alive for me and I was only disappointed that the book had to come to an end.

I have read Matt Haig's first novel Last Family in England and loved that too, so I can't wait to read his other books now. I can't believe I didn't see this book in all the bookshop windows. This is not a book to be missed.

Passenger
Passenger
by Billy Cowie
Price: 7.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Unique idea for story, 30 April 2011
This review is from: Passenger (Hardcover)
The idea for Passenger was brilliant. When I heard about the book I wanted to read it. It is something different and it is simply written. However, I did not feel any connection with the characters or care for them. Towards the end I started to have some empathy for Milan, but it was right near the end of the book that I felt anything. The story doesn't have much going on, but it is only a short book, so that doesn't seem to be a big issue. It is still worth reading for its unique story line.

The Medici Curse
The Medici Curse
by Matt Chamings
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining historical fiction., 24 April 2011
This review is from: The Medici Curse (Paperback)
I came across this novel while searching for non-fiction books on the Medici. Even though this novel is teenage fiction, and I'm in my early 30's, I thought it sounded interesting and decided to give it a go anyway.

I am pleased I did. It is a very enjoyable read and will hopefully encourage young readers to look at paintings a little different in future - thinking about the story behind them, and the period in which they were painted.

The chapters in this book alternate between Renaissance Florance and modern-day. Young Maria is drawn to an unremarkable painting in a antique shop and her father buys it, discovering a picture underneath. She then wants to find out the story about this picture and why it was covered over.

The story set in Renaissance Florance has a theme similar to that of Romeo and Juliet and even features Leonardo da Vinci and Verrocchio.

Very entertaining historical fiction.

Limitless
Limitless
by Alan Glynn
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic idea!, 21 April 2011
This review is from: Limitless (Paperback)
As soon as I heard about the film, I wanted to read the book first. First published as "The Dark Fields" Limitless is a like a modern day Faust/Doctor Faustus, where the drug replaces the devil.

Ever since hearing about the folktale of a guy that sold his soul to the devil in return for unlimited knowledge, I had hoped for a modern day retelling and the premise of this book seemed to be what I was looking for. Although written by an Irish author, the book is very American and the financial market plays a very big part which the author goes into some detail about.

The story is about Eddie Spinola who is a copywriter for a small publishers and is trying to write his own book. He is given an experimental drug to try by his ex-brother-in-law, called MDT-48 which allows him to use 100% of his brain power instead of use 20% like most people. He learns a language in a day, finishes his book in four days and starts to see patterns in the stock market. Everything is going great until he starts feeling dizzy and having black-outs...

I really enjoyed the book and look forward to seeing the film.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4