Profile for Kris > Reviews

Content by Kris

Kris

Nymphomaniac Vol. I & Vol. II (2 Disc DVD)
Nymphomaniac Vol. I & Vol. II (2 Disc DVD)
Dvd ~ Charlotte Gainsbourg
Price: 13.82

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Lars von Trier, 22 May 2014
You are probably not going to enjoy this film if
a) you find watching sex scenes and naked bodies extremely uncomfortable;
b) you expect sex scenes to be erotic (as, for example, in the Basic Instinct);
c) you believe that good film must entertain you and bring you pleasure.

This is Lars von Trier's film. If you haven't seen anything he has made, it is possible, perhaps even likely, that your expectations are different from what the film is like.

Nyphomaniac is structured as a several-hours-long conversation between two people: a woman, who was beaten by someone, and a man, who found her in a street and took her to his house. The man, being interested in what has happened to her, convinces the woman to tell him about her life. This is where sex comes in; the woman is a self-proclaimed nymphomaniac, who has had sex with hundreds of men. And she is willing to tell the man all about them.

Much of the dynamics of the film is derived from the contrast between the two central characters. The woman has a lot of real-life experience; the man has probably spent most of his life alone and his knowledge is mainly theoretical. He tries to relate her life to things he knows, such as polyphonic harmonies, fishing, and Fibonacci numbers. Sometimes his metaphors work, sometimes, as the woman points out, they are quite weak.

Nyphomaniac is the third part of Trier's so-called "depression trilogy", which about sums up what you should expect. If you've seen his previous films, you might not find Nyphomaniac very shocking; if you haven't seen any, prepare yourself to end up drained and disillusioned.

The Artificial Eye 2 Disk DVD includes: Volume I (113 mins), Volume II (119 mins), and a few extra features. There are four interviews with the actors (each lasts for about 10-12 minutes), and a live Q&A with Stellan Skarsgard, Stacy Martin and Sophie Kennedy Clark (23 mins). I wish there was a release of the unedited films, which are supposed to be about 90 minutes longer, but as for now this is as good as it gets.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2014 2:57 PM BST

Celestron Telescope T Camera Adapter with Barlow Lens
Celestron Telescope T Camera Adapter with Barlow Lens
Offered by PicStop
Price: 24.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of equipment, 19 April 2014
I bought this adapter for my 8-inch dobsonian telescope at the time when I didn't know pretty much anything about astrophotography. However, during the past few months, I've been making use of it dozens of times.

It's really a great piece of equipment. However, you have to remember that this adapter gets you quite close to the photographed subject. This means that I can take decent photos of Jupiter from our garden, which is located in the suburb. (The strips are always clearly visible and sometimes you can also recognise the great red spot.) On the other hand, if I wanted to have a nice picture of the full Moon, I'd probably be quite desperate because with my cropped-sensor DSLR I would have to combine 6 images into one.

Open Hearts [DVD]
Open Hearts [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mads Mikkelson
Price: 4.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film and amazing DVD, 24 Jan 2014
This review is from: Open Hearts [DVD] (DVD)
I loved the film long before I bought the DVD. If I should summarize it in a single sentence, I'd say it's an astonishing portrayal of pain and suffering in a movie with no antagonist.

I knew that the film is brilliant. However, I was more than pleasantly surprised to realize that someone actually put an effort into making a well-packed DVD. The amount of extra features is quite amazing; especially if you take into an account that this is not a Hollywood blockbuster, which could afford to have a huge PR department.

That being said, the DVD contains press conference from San Sebastian Film Festival (which lasts for about 25 minutes), featurette (about 10 minutes), three deleted scenes, audio commentary (by the director, producer, and actors), trailers and couple other things.

It is great to know that even years after I first saw the film, and after I fell in love with it, I can still learn something new about it.

Black Stylus Touch Pens For IPhone 3G 3Gs 4 4S iPad 2 3 IPod Touch
Black Stylus Touch Pens For IPhone 3G 3Gs 4 4S iPad 2 3 IPod Touch
Offered by cheap4uk(From hongkong,2-3 weeks delivery)
Price: 0.63

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked only for a week, 15 Feb 2013
After losing my old stylus, which I had been using for several months with my iPhone, I decided to buy a new one. The cheap price combined with positive rating made me order this one. The service was prompt, and it looked great at first; I didn't mind the cheap plastic look nor the round rubber end. It was working precisely and you didn't have to press the stylus hard towards the screen, and that was all I wanted. During the first week I'd definitely give it a five-star review.

Then once, whilst I was drawing, it started missing lines which I was making. Within five minutes it stopped working altogether. Afterwards I tried it in different conditions: inside, outside, colder places, warmer ones. It never worked again. That's why I am writing this review: To warn others. It's so cheap that it doesn't make any sense to return the item and ask for my money back.

Now if you look at the latest reviews (written since January 2013), you'll notice that I'm not the only one who has had negative experience with the product. The oldest reviews seem to be praising the stylus but out of 10 latest reviews (me excluded), three people gave it one star and one person gave it two stars. So be aware.

Bing Sings The Great American Songbook
Bing Sings The Great American Songbook
Price: 12.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Intimate recording of well-known songs, 10 Nov 2012
The first thing you notice upon listening to this album is its intimate feeling. It doesn't sound like a big company recording; it's much closer to the type of the music which you could hear in a small jazz club back in the days. There are not many instruments accompanying Crosby's voice; all you get to hear most of the time is piano, drums, bass.

I must admit I'm more used to different versions of these songs: to those which include huge orchestras, and dramatic arrangements. And I think I would be happier if this album was slightly less subtle, less restrained, less modest. Nevertheless, this is only my personal opinion, and I'm very happy to accept that others might find its intimacy appealing. After all, how many Bing's albums sound as if he invited three or four friends over and played a few songs with them just for fun?

Slik Pro 400DX Complete Tripod
Slik Pro 400DX Complete Tripod
Offered by Luzern
Price: 69.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for stills, bit worse for filmmaking, 1 Feb 2012
I've been using this tripod with my Canon 550D for about four months now. Unlike many cheap tripods, it feels very stable and solid; I've never been afraid that my camera could fall down. However, I admit I've never used it in severe weather conditions (e.g. strong wind).

It might not be one of the lightest tripods out there, but I don't think it is unreasonably heavy. Firstly, the weight provides more stability. (I wouldn't trust a light tripod with my DSLR.) Secondly, the tripod is not so heavy that there would be a problem with carrying it around. Whenever I went on holiday during the last few weeks, I've always taken it with me. It weights about 2.5 kg, and it fits very well in my middle size suitcase, so I've never had to make hard decisions whether I should or should not take it with me when I was flying somewhere.

Nevertheless, I've got one criticism. As an amateur filmmaker, I find the pan head bit irritating. When you want to tilt / rotate it, you must loosen the handles; there are no separate 'wheels', which you could adjust the movability of the pan head with. However, once you loosen the handles, they become bit shaky, and they don't really give you the feeling of solidity or precision. This is not an issue if you just need to point the camera certain direction; if you want to take a photo / make a video in which your camera doesn't move. (Once you tighten the handles, the pan head is solid and it won't move.) Yet, if you plan to make a fluent, smooth movement while filming, the fact that the handles are quite shaky and they don't respond immediately to your movements can be quite nerve-wracking.

Nonetheless, if you want the tripod mainly for stills, I'd say that Slik Pro 400DX is an amazing piece of equipment for its price.