Profile for J. George > Reviews

Content by J. George

J. George "Break Up Specialist" (here, there and everywhere)

Page: 1 | 2
Pureology Purify Shampoo Detoxify Clarify ZeroSulfate 300ml / 10.1 fl.oz.
Pureology Purify Shampoo Detoxify Clarify ZeroSulfate 300ml / 10.1 fl.oz.
Offered by Online Beauty Buys
Price: 6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Shampoo for those living in hard water areas. 10 stars, 17 Nov 2012
I live in the South East. Which if you don't know, has horrible hard water which leaves my my hair hard and dry -plus my hair is coloured as well just to add to my misery. I discovered this product in a forum and its made from natural ingredients, suitable for vegans (I'm not but it's good to know) and has pretty solid reviews all over the internet.

I would recommend using this shampoo 1-2 times a month as it pretty strong and NOT suitable for weekly or daily washes.

The shampoo

You only need a small amount as it lathers up pretty quickly (also follow the instructions on the bottle),and rinses clean away. It really does strip all the gunk, junk and hard minerals away from my hair really easily but it is quite stripping so I would recommend doing a very quick wash with a sulfate free moisturising shampoo to get your hair back on track and condition as normal.

After the shampoo.

My hair feels really soft and my hair products feel like they can do their job for the 1st time in a long time because the minerals from the hard water are no longer damaging my hair.

An all round great product. I recommend
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 19, 2013 7:22 PM BST

The Science of Black Hair: A Comprehensive Guide to Textured Hair Care(Standard Edition: Black & White)
by Audrey Davis-Sivasothy
Price: 15.95

5.0 out of 5 stars This book deserves 10 stars. My once dry hair is soft and silky., 16 Nov 2012
I found out about this book on one of the black hair forums and wanted to find out more every- and I mean every review of this book has been positive. There is a LOT of information in this book but she does explain everything in the simplest terms possible, but to get the best of this I suggest reading it twice.

The quality of the information is top draw and so are product suggestions, my one and only gripe is that some (not all) of the products she recommends are not available in the UK or if they are they will require you to pay a small fortune!!! Suffice to say, you are armed with enough knowledge that you can go into your local beauty store and make a well considered purchase once you understand the ingredients to look out for and the ones to avoid. Additionally, those of use who live in hard water areas should really really read this book as so you can find why and solve the problem of dry porous hair.

I have to say this book is one of the best buying decisions I've ever made.

Syntrax Nectar 907 g Strawberry Mousse Whey Protein Isolate Drink Powder
Syntrax Nectar 907 g Strawberry Mousse Whey Protein Isolate Drink Powder
Price: 29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning....Heaven in a cup., 12 Mar 2012
If your lactose intolerant, don't like sugar, fat or carbs in your protein drink -then this is PERFECT for you. I'm on my second 2lb jar of this and its absolutely stunning. I love it! my only gripe I'm finding it tricky to the the vanilla flavour...apart from the I recommend this product highly.

Boo Hoo: A Dot Com Story
Boo Hoo: A Dot Com Story
by Ernst Malmsten
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brought back memories..., 11 Feb 2012
I worked for a company that burned through more money than boo.com (yes that's hard to imagine I know!).

This book brought back a lot of memories of the 000's. It was a fun time; full of crazy and interesting characters and types people of I've never met before and since. The excess in this book is pretty spot on ( Christmas party at the ministry of sound with an open bar? ...oooh yes thanks. Spanish ham and wine afternoon -then go to the bar next door and stay there till 2 am. After go clubbing till 5am, arrive at your desk at 9 am...don't mind if I do!).

Hand on heart, I wouldn't change a day of working in a dot com - as I had the BEST time in my working life.

Still your average day finished a 9pm and they worked you hard. The thing I noticed about the book and reminded me of my dot com time was the unrealistic expectations, the arrogance and the blame solely placed on the IT department. As a techie this book is the timely warning that Analysts should not make promises to the business it cannot keep and that even the best developers are limited by what they can do.

Also, DON'T put someone in their early 30's in charge of a large corporation- they neither have the maturity or the business expertise.

Sony ICD-BX112 - Digital voice recorder - flash 2 GB - MP3
Sony ICD-BX112 - Digital voice recorder - flash 2 GB - MP3

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware. You can't transfer files to your hard drive., 15 Nov 2011
If you are looking for bog standard digital recorder you won't do any better at this price. However if you are looking a recorder that automatically records in mp3 and will transfer your recordings on to your hard drive -forget it. This recorder has no USB facility and is NOT the one for you.

If you want a usb mp3 recorder I can recommend the Philips LFH0622/00 Voice Recorder.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2013 9:14 PM GMT

Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home 11.5 (PC)
Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home 11.5 (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally... They get it right, 16 July 2011
Just purchased the NaturallySpeaking home edition 11.5 - and I have to say I think it is absolutely amazing.

It works straight from the box and only needs a minimum amount of training in order to understand your voice and to transcribe it onto the page. In the past, I bought earlier versions of the NaturallySpeaking range and I will be honest- I didn't think they were that good. I was always left with the overwhelming feeling that more training was needed before you could start dictating at the speed required to get the results you desire.

The NaturallySpeaking home edition 11.5 finally put this right- especially for me. I am dyslexic, and have the continual problem that the sentences I construct in my head are not appearing in the same way in typed text. I continually have to read, and rewrite sentences before they are correct. My problem was further compounded, by the fact I had to use an electronic read back facility in order to do my proofreading. NaturallySpeaking has this particular functionality on board as standard, so anyone reading this review that has a learning disability such as dyslexia, can rest assured that this will make their life a lot easier.

So to sum up, the NaturallySpeaking 11.5 home edition is money well spent. So, stop thinking about buying this and press the `purchase now' button.
(This review was created using the software)
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2012 5:17 PM BST

Use Your Head: Innovative Learning and Thinking Techniques to Fulfil Your Potential (Mind Set)
by Tony Buzan

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm living proof this system works - Five Stars, 14 Feb 2010
When I first heard of this book I was a university drop out who had FANTASTICALLY failed the second year of my degree(that would be 1993). I stressed, extremely unhappy, living at home with my parents (because I couldn't go back to uni) and unsure about my future.

I knew I wasn't stupid, but i didn't know to extract the information needed to sucessfully pass my degree. This was also coupled with the fact I was undiagnosed with dyslexia and had a real challenge putting ideas on to paper....so you can guess I had a unhill battle. One night I was listening to my local radio station and Tony Buzan was being interivewed by the DJ I was impressed and something in my gut told me 'buy this book'.

So I did. The next day. I knew I had done something to really change my academic life and it shocked me just how much.

Well, I will say this system is extremely easy to learn and best of all it's very very quick once you grasp the basics. After bit of discussion, I managed to secure a place at another university and decided to study 2 DEGREES and condense this over 2 study years. A lot of people thought I was completely mad - but I had confidence I could do so frankly I didn't care!

Mind mapping helped me with my lectures (plus I also carried a dictaphone to listen to them again later), researching and structing my essays. My essays were a couple of 2 hours to research and about 2-4 hours from 1st to final draft (depending on the number of words).

Exams which used to stress me out to the extent I could'nt think straight; became EASY and ENJOYABLE(if such a thing can be!). I could walk into any exam setting feeling quiety confident that I was going pass and frankly the examp essays would write themselves. There were incidents where I only had a day between exams to collect infromation and mind map, I was able to do this easily and remain calm despite the stress of exams.

I was able use mind mapping to take large and complex theories and explain them in simple clear english which impressed my lecturers and examiners.

I left university with a 2:1 and in 2 degrees and just missed out on 1st class degree by 4 points.

My sister also used this book and missed a 1st class degree by 1 point!!

My point is this, If can can go from FAILING a degree to to SUCCEEDING WITH TOP MARKS, then frankly there's no excuse for anyone else not to - it really is that simple. You just have to decide to be open minded and make this work for you.

I'm living proof 'it does what it says on the book jacket'.

Get to the Top on Google: Tips and Techniques to Get Your Site to the Top of Google and Stay There
by David Viney
Price: 14.99

1.0 out of 5 stars 1 and I'm being generous!, 16 July 2009
After reading the reviews I excitedly brought this book and joined the forum (thank god it was free or I would have been very upset). As a previous reviewer said, the links don't work or are very very out of date. If anyone is intersted in keyword research this book will adequately explain it, but that's about it.

The 5 star reviews like the links in this book are terribly out of date. Save your money as some of the terms in this book you can easily found if you look them up on the internet yourself with more relevent and up to date information (as SEO is very fast moving). In my experience the forum was deserted and after a few weeks I was very very disappointed and cancelled my free supbscription.

I wish I could say something positive about this book but, here's hoping the next edition is more up to date than this edition.

Contemporary Bellydance and Yoga Conditioning [DVD] [2007] [NTSC]
Contemporary Bellydance and Yoga Conditioning [DVD] [2007] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Ariellah
Price: 10.81

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars are not enough. It's really that good! This is a great DVD for the non tribal bellydancer, 10 Jan 2009
I stumbled on to this DVD on YouTube and watched the 5 minute presentation before making my purchase. Though not a follower of ATS, I've been belly dancing for just under a year and I think its ABSOLUTE BRILLIANT considering this is my very 1st Belly dance DVD purchase - I know I've struck gold.

Ariellah instruction is clear, precise and very well thought out. She teaches you to stand in the correct posture and breaks down each drill so it is very easy to perform and instinctively knows when your concentration is going, as she tells you 'check in on your posture'. Also she has a uncanny knack of knowing your arms are hurting when you're performing a drill! It's performed on a stark set with no distracting background or music (it is different from the Arabic belly dance music I normally listen, still it did not detract of performing the drill correctly.)

As a non tribal belly dancer, I have recommended this DVD to friends who want brush up or maintain their technique between classes. I've only been using this DVD since Christmas, and in recent class I noticed how much tighter and precise my technique is.

Guide to IT Contracting, The
Guide to IT Contracting, The
by Samuel Blankson
Price: 23.93

5.0 out of 5 stars I had my reservations and I was proved wrong. Great book., 14 May 2008
I've been IT contracting for about 5 years and will tell you this - this is a cut throat business. It's not for the fool hardy or the thin skinned, and I wished I had read this when I had started and it would have prevented a lot of mistakes I had made. It is very well written and very clear on a number of areas such as IR35, the benefits of between Umbrella companies or Ltd companies to how to pick an Accountant. It also covers other issues such has how to emotionally cope as contractor, how to not get involved in office politics to name just a few. As I said in the beginning of this review I've been around the contracting block and my only gripe is that it doesn't tell you how to deal with tricky situations agents can put you in or tricks that agents can use against you. Suffice to say those are situations you are going to have to learn how to deal with yourself as a contractor. I would refer to this book again and again - as its that good.

Page: 1 | 2