Profile for Roroblu'sMum > Reviews

Content by Roroblu'sMum
Top Reviewer Ranking: 570

Roroblu'sMum "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Monster High Boo York City Draculaura Doll
Monster High Boo York City Draculaura Doll

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the prettiest of the new Boo York, Boo York series of dolls...but stand, diary and brush are missing., 28 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm giving this doll the full 5*, despite her rather minimalistic appearance. Draculaura is obviously the daughter of Dracula and she's inherited his fangs in a very cute way, as well as having a beautiful face. She has a love heart type of tattoo under one eye, and her air is a mix of black and fuchsia strands that fall to about waist length.

Her dress is NOT the silvery as it appears in the ad page, but has a slight yellowy tint to the silver, making it look almost gold. In fact, that part of the dress is an overskirt and the looks a bit graffiti-like with its mix of hearts, fangs, mouths and bright colours. Her handbag is a candy pink rather than the baby pink in the ad, and her skin tone is a pale pink, not the pale grey in the ad.

I got this for free via the Amazon Vine programme, so I'm not going to complain, but though the packaging was intact, my doll was missing her diary, her hairbrush and her stand. it doesn't bother me too much, but this will disappoint children.

A word of advice for parents - this doll is one of the thinnest in the range, and looking at her sideways, she's about 1.5cm max - other dolls seem quite a bit sturdier...not sure if your little ones might pick up on this, even at their young ages, esp as she's a very fashionable looking doll.

Monster High Boo York Gala Ghoulfriends Mouscedes King Doll
Monster High Boo York Gala Ghoulfriends Mouscedes King Doll

3.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTING. ****NOT**** like she appears in the ad. Colours are duller and muted. Face is quite ugly., 28 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm trying to be fair with this review - a rat isn't the prettiest of creatures, so a rat-doll isn't going to be the prettiest, either and that's one of only 2 things slightly 'off' about this doll. She has the prominent front teeth that rats do have, and that seems to be the thing that stands out on her (I am puzzled why her face is so unattractive when that of Draculaura, Dracula's daughter, is so pretty despite having fangs). I also don't like her hands that, again, I suppose try to accurately depict a rat's claws, but they make her look rather 'nasty old witch' to me. Her tail is rather flimsy and has come off a few times without my trying to do this (it is meant to detach, but mine is so loose that I think it'll end up lost or hoovered up).

Her skin is a darkish, shimmery grey, and quite a lot deeper in tint than shown on the advert page. Her dress is not gold lamé on a white background, but gold lamé on a gold background, which makes it far less nice than shown in the ad. Her overskirt is more jade-green Xmas tree faux icicles than the gemstone finish that appears in the ad. Her tiara is NOT bright blue as the ad states, but again a jade-green. Her wings/shoulder flaps are a very dull grey-brown mix, and don't have the sheen that the ad promises. Her bodice is NOT blue and gold but a very dull black-grey background with gold spots. Her pink hair is nicer than in the ad, as it has more of the darker pink streaks than is shown. her shoes are pretty funky, and I like the silvery grey of her stand and hairbrush. Her diary is flimsy and rather disappointing, as it tells you pretty much nothing about her - I found more info online by Googling the upcoming movie.

I don't think the ad is very accurate at all, as some pictures seem to have been taken in bright light, which perhaps might change the colours a little, but in broad late summer daylight, she seems very dullsville.

This is the only time I've ever been disappointed in one of these dolls - and that's me as an adult collector commenting.

Devoted Duck with Trout, 2 kg
Devoted Duck with Trout, 2 kg

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5*Review courtesy of a French bulldog, a Fox terrier and a Schnauzer - with some mixed results. And, our cats chipped in, too., 28 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My husband walks our neighbours dogs (French bulldog and miniature Schnauzer) for exercise and once done, always feeds them. Possible because tiredness trumps pickiness, and they've taken to these OK enough. By that, I mean that they're interested enough to eat some when they come home, but not on the way for walkies, when it's sitting ready in their bowls. Admittedly, they're each being fed a small handful with a good bowl of water, so they're not eating these as their sole meal, but hubby is pleased that there haven't been any nasty messes to clean up whilst walking, and, the neighbours haven't moaned about anything toilet-related, so all good there. They've had this over a week so far, but first signs are OK. I'd say that the bulldog with her stronger jaw has found these easier to eat than the Schnauzer, who has a narrower, smaller mouth, as the kibble is quite hard and the pieces are triangular, and about 1cm x 1cm x1cm and about 0.5cm in width/height.

We also regularly sit for our friends' Fox terrier, who is a little hyperactive and who has a closely watched diet. She's full of energy and is very greedy, but she hasn't been interested in this at all. She did try some the first day we had her (over a week), but for her to leave food in her bowl is unheard of. We noticed a lot of washing of her rather long muzzle, which she always does if she's eaten anything greasy, so this, plus the feel of the kibble when I handled it, made me think that the food has a fair bit of fat. From day 2 onwards, she refused to do more than nibble occasionally, so this hasn't been a hit with her.

Our cats were sort of interested by the pungent smell (it smelt like goldfish food to my nose, not like regular cat or dog kibble), but didn't eat any, though they're always interested in what the dogs are getting. This was another sign that perhaps the food wasn't that appealing to our furry four-legged friends.

In terms of the ingredients compared to mass produced foods, yes, this seems to be an excellent quality food, but that's not great when taste doesn't match quality. So, in theory, the dogs should have loved this, and it should have done them some good, but that's not possible when they don't really like the taste.

Feat of Clay (Men of London Book 4)
Feat of Clay (Men of London Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Another solid read from SMN, this time with an established couple whose love and commitment are tested. 4.5*, 25 Aug. 2015
SMN is an author whose range of writing varies to a degree that despite my being one of her betas, I never know what she'll come up with. I wasn't expecting the warmth, heartache and LOL! moments of Suits You, and I wasn't expecting the Mauritian connection in Sight and Sinners (I'm one, and Taylor could easily have been my son!), but I was hoping for warmth, unconditional love, angst, unending support and compromise in FoC, and I got all of those things in spades.

It's a bit of a difficult book to review without Spoiling it, but it involves a tough guy with a secret that he thinks he can't share with his equally tough guy lover, and as a result, it's tearing him up inside - and tearing them apart. I'd already liked Clay from being introduced to him as Draven's Boss in SAS and suspected that he was in a relationship where he seemed to be the one offering strength and support, so I was intrigued about how his tale - about a solidly established couple - would play out. From the blurb, it's clear that they'd met, became friends, loved silently and then not so silently, and were now clearly together, so how much more could there be to tell? Well, a lot more, as it turns out.

I understood Tate's shame and fear about revealing his...dark past, and I *felt* Clay's unconditional love when the truth came out. I loved his emotional and physical strength that Tate needed and drew strength from, but I also loved that he admitted his feelings and fears, and that we saw his vulnerable side. I loved that their relationship was equal, sexually, with both guys willing to give and take, and that Tate's demons seemed not quite so scary when he lost himself in his lover. When they fought - which happened more than once in this tale, with good reason - I felt both Tate's and Clay's hurt, though at times I did want to smack Tate for being so blind. Feelings galore run through this book, some voiced, some silent but visible through actions, some well-intentioned, but perhaps not always thought through, but all strong and lasting. Whilst it's a given that the leads get back on track with living their HEA, I have to admit that I wanted that tiny bit more to seal them together, which didn't quite happen in this tale...but I'm hopeful that I'll get to see the icing on their cake at some point.

There are a few glimpses of the MoL leads from previous tales in the series, and it's nice to see that they're all living their HEAs, but I confess to a slight disappointment that I've not seen a wedding yet, which I sort of (nicely) whined to SMN about...I know that we'll definitely see one at some point, but perhaps not in the next book (featuring Leslie's boss Lenny/Laverne) that I've also been privileged to beta. In fact, I wonder if SMN might spoil us and give us more than one wedding in the future...I live in hope, after all, weddings seem to spawn more weddings, don't they?

Oh, on a final note, watch out for a certain...prickly person in this book, who I know will be the lead in book 7 of the MoL series. A standout character, initially seemingly for the wrong reasons, but then when you learn about him, for the right reasons. And yes, we'll see more of Tate and Clay in his tale. Dear SMC - this is where the cake and icing I mentioned above could fit in nicely...literally and figuratively...hint, hint!

Disclaimer - as mentioned, I'm lucky enough to be a beta for the talented SMN; no payment was offered or requested for this review, the words of which are entirely my own.

Monster High Boo York Gala Ghoulfriends Elle Eedee Doll
Monster High Boo York Gala Ghoulfriends Elle Eedee Doll

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning looking doll that loves all things shiny, metallic and fashionable. Looks like a certain fashion designer, VB..., 24 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Elle Eedee (pronounced LED) is the daughter of the Robots - and her face is very cleverly crafted to keep her looking stunning, whilst incorporating 'Transformers' styling. She loves shiny metallics and fashion, and tbh, my first thought when I saw her is that she looks a little bit like the singer-turned-fashion-designer with the initials VB!. Again, she's one of the new series of MH dolls who will appear in the new Boo York, Boo York upcoming movie and DVD, due out in autumn.

The doll is stunning, with the 'waterfall' rear of her dress that looks as if a sari bit has been draped over her shoulder. The image on the website seems to show her dress as alternately blue and purple, so it's worth clarifying that the dress is a loud, bright, metallic purple, with an overskirt made of silver, The front of the dress has a black panel with dots in different shades of blue and green, matching her 'waterfall'. It's fashionable and cutting edge, giving her a glamorous rock-chick look. Her shoes are pretty enough, but not the most elaborate or stunning in the range, but perhaps that's deliberate so as not to draw attention away from her dress. The overskirt is removable and made of sturdy enough plastic that small, impatient hands shouldn't be able to damage it.

Monster High Boo York Gala Ghoulfriends Luna Mothews Doll
Monster High Boo York Gala Ghoulfriends Luna Mothews Doll

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful doll, though she's a lot more yellow than the images on the advert page indicate., 24 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Luna Mothews is the daughter of the Moth Man. She loves all things bright, shiny, so Boo York is the town for her. That seems to be the new setting for the upcoming movie and DVD, due out in autumn.

The doll is stunning, though her colouring is more like a jaundiced shimmery yellow than the translucent ivory shade in the advert pages - that's not a complaint, though, as it makes her look more exotic. My version's hair has a lot more of the dark red streaks that show on the ad page on the fringe included in her hair at the back of her head, which is a bonus.

Her outfit is truly stunning, one of the prettiest I've seen, with the shimmery, see-through middle, indicative of a moth's gossamer wings at night. It also reminds me of a flamenco dancer's. Her wings and tiara are pleasingly sturdy and of a plastic that I think will survive small, impatient hands that'll want to make them move. The actual tiara, looking downwards, comprises antennas, and looks like the silhouette of a moth. I'd say that her look is very Goth, which suits the moth aspect of her heritage and her general colour scheme. The attention to detail is amazing, which is reflected in the price, as this is one of the more expensive dolls in the MH range (partly due to how new it is, of course).

As per usual, this doll comes with a stand (silver), a diary and a hairbrush. The only downside to this doll is that once again, the plastic used in the packaging has incredibly sharp edges once cut open (though the sturdiness protects the doll), and will need a grown-up's help. Also, her dress is fastened into the rear packaging and will need slow and careful handling to detach it without tearing the fabric.

The Dawn of Darkness
The Dawn of Darkness

3.0 out of 5 stars Short and not really believable, though it is well-written. 2.5*, 24 Aug. 2015
This is a well-written tale that feels as if it should have been longer to truly bring out what the leads had. As a short tale, it just about works, but it lacks balance and believability. It does end in the start of a HEA that unfortunately, based on the brevity of the tale, I couldn't believe in.

I'd have loved to read this as a full-length tale.

Reckless Hope (Letting Go Book 2)
Reckless Hope (Letting Go Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this tale of a not-really-bad boy and the good-boy-next-door., 24 Aug. 2015
J Leigh Bailey writes mainly NA and YA tales that I wouldn't normally read, but I read her 5* Nobody's Hero and was hooked.

This is an unconnected tale, but it's one that has at its core the same values - honesty, true feelings, admission of those feelings, some heartache and soul-searching, before the start of what I believed was a HEA, despite the leads being only around 19 and 20 years of age.

Yes, the tale got a bit Cinderella at the end, but it was a believable one with one lead who had nothing hidden about him, a boy/man who'd been forced to grow up too early, to take on too many responsibilities and who could have ended up without any form of a life of his own, and with another lead who'd been born into riches, who was being groomed to take on the family mantle, but who instead rebelled by acting out and by gaining a rep as a guy into all forms of pleasure and liberties. On the face of it, these guys shouldn't have even met, let alone been attracted to each other, but the author made their first encounter so believable, followed by their second and with the right amount of machination on the rich lead's part to enable the tale to progress.

There wasn't a huge amount of sex in the tale, but there were emotions galore, there were misunderstandings and 'prickling' on both leads' parts and yes, there was a bit of a Bollywood ending, which for once, was OK in my book.

This is a 5* Keeper of a read, right up there with book 1 in the Letting Go series. Here's hoping there will be more.

Ebook courtesy of Carina Press and NetGalley, in return for an honest review.

Redeeming Rafe (Barretti Security Series, Book 2)
Redeeming Rafe (Barretti Security Series, Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5*: So glad the author decided to put this book out first. A great short, sexy and sweet read that ends in the start of a HEA., 24 Aug. 2015
This is book 2 in the Baretti Security Group series, with book 1 not even being finished yet - the author explains why in her note at the end of this book, and on her website - but reading it this way round absolutely didn't spoil book 1 for me. If you've read Logan's Need, the final book in the Escort series, then you'll know who got rescued in that, and who the rescuer/protector was, and yes, they get their tale in book 1, and they appear as side characters here. The author has said that she'll be making that book a freebie on her website, so based on this tale alone, I know I'll be stalking her website for more info.

Well, back to this book: Rafe is the baby brother of Dom from Logan's Need; the one who got abducted as a child and the reason his brothers formed their agency - so that they could find him. Except that little brother isn't as far away as they think, nor is he as innocent or as helpless than he was when he was taken; in fact, he's a hacker par excellence and he's been giving them trouble - not that they know his identity at this point.

Cade, Logan's bodyguard who'd been a standout character in that book, made me want his tale and I am so, so glad that he was the lead here. He's still the strong and sexy guy from that book, but here we see different sides to him. Initially, he's in charge of surveillance on Rafe (whilst the latter's identity is still unknown), but then Rafe becomes the object of his sexual interest, before Cade falls for him, and finally Cade has to become his protector.

The author wrote the leads very well, and especially so in Rafe's case. There is mention of past sexual abuse that has made him into the man he is today, but it's not graphic or prolonged, though Rafe is still suffering in the tale. She used that trauma to initially break him, then make him into the man he is today, the man who thinks he can count on no-one but himself, but the man who finds himself broken down and then fixed by his love for Cade.

At no point did the author make me feel that the leads' relationship was unbalanced and that one was stronger than the other - I'm talking both sexually and otherwise. They had different strengths, but the same needs, the same feelings, the same loyalty and the same selfless love, and I believed in them and their love, fast-paced as the tale was.

For me, it had the perfect ending, one that I wouldn't have expected from a character as hardened as Rafe was initially, but a very welcome one. I confess to the tiniest disappointment that Logan and Dom aren't quite there themselves, though at the same time, I get why. Still, perhaps that'll be something we get to see in future tales in this series - after all, there's still Ren's tale to come.

I liked that Dom and Logan were in this a bit more than the other characters from previous tales, still as in love and needing each other as ever. It was also nice to hear about/see the past leads, especially with a couple of happy events taking place.

The only thing that took me away from the book a few times and caused me to lower the rating on it, is that the book could do with a touch of proofing, as there were a few errors that took me out of the tale and that a competent proofer - or even a beta - could have picked up on. Not enough to make me think it wasn't still a great read, but just niggly ones that gave me a few 'uwot??' moments.

Never in a Million
Never in a Million

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite sweet and rushed, but a nice little tale. Interested enough to check out more by this author, but everything's overpriced., 23 Aug. 2015
This is very short and sweet, without any angst - it's kind of a bit pink and Bollywood, in the nicest way. I loved the final words about hope for the future, and it was good enough to make me go and check out the author's works, but though I was tempted, they're too expensive for the number of pages.

Worth a read.