Profile for Mr. J. Brown > Reviews

Mr. J. Brown (UK)

Voyages from the Past: A History of Passengers at Sea
Voyages from the Past: A History of Passengers at Sea
by Simon Wills

5.0 out of 5 stars Another high quality publication from Simon Wills, 10 May 2015
Another very impressive book from Simon Wills. It really helped me understand what some of my own ancestors went through when they went to sea. I bought it because four of the chapters in particular interested me, but I enjoyed it so much that I read it straight through. It also includes a number of carefully chosen illustrations that help bring the stories to life even more. You don’t really realise how much you’re learning while you read this book until you’ve finished it. It focuses on the voyages of individuals at different points in history from Elizabethan times until the 20th century, and each story is a very engaging tale. But rather cleverly, when you piece them all together you realise you have learned the whole history of what passengers went through down the ages. I can’t believe what some people had to put up with just to get from A to B – pirates, disease, shipwrecks.....

If only history books at school had been presented in such an engaging and informative way.

Lifeboatmen
Lifeboatmen

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, engaging first novel, 13 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Lifeboatmen (Hardcover)
A thought-provoking and engaging first novel from Simon Wills based upon some real-life, somewhat surprising events in the early days of the Lifeboat service. It’s not what you expect to read about such heroes and heroic feats. Keep in mind as you read that the men were all volunteers, and you won’t be able to put it down. It is a nicely paced and action packed book; the characters are well rounded within authentic dialogue, and yet the story never loses its pace as a result of this. I don’t want to give anything away, but what is a story of two halves is particularly well-crafted. It will appeal both to fans of the period/genre as well as to those who just want an entertaining story to take on holiday with them. Well done, I hope more fiction is to follow from Simon Wills who is an already established and successful non-fiction writer.

PU Leather Belt case cover for iphone 4 4g, 3g, 3gs, 4s- pjp electronics
PU Leather Belt case cover for iphone 4 4g, 3g, 3gs, 4s- pjp electronics
Offered by PJP ELECTRONICS

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, 3 July 2013
Looks really nice, but the quality is poor. Within three months the stitching on one side had come loose and had all but disintegrated. Luckily I caught my iPhone before it dropped to the ground as a result.

How Our Ancestors Died: A Guide for Family Historians
How Our Ancestors Died: A Guide for Family Historians

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and thought-provoking, 17 Jun. 2013
I bought this because I wanted to understand a bit more about a couple of specific events in my family. I had an ancestor who died of cholera and another who died in an asylum, and this book helped me understand what my ancestors went through and put it all into context. But the book holds your attention and I ended up reading it right through. There are lots of fascinating stories here, and it's good to come away feeling you've been entertained as well as informed. The author says somewhere that their death may be the most interesting (or only) thing you know about an ancestor and that's often proved right in my case. There's a great chapter near the beginning on how to find out about causes of death and that's encouraged me to pursue this with interesting results, as I found an ancestor who was murdered and another who died in a shipwreck. Nice to have a practical sort of book that's also good reading.

Tracing Your Merchant Navy Ancestors (Family History)
Tracing Your Merchant Navy Ancestors (Family History)
by Simon Wills

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, well written guide to the subject area, 9 Nov. 2012
This is a practical sort of book with lots of useful web resources identified - most of which I'd never heard of before - and ideas on where else to look. It's all laid out in chapters depending on whether you're trying to find a captain, a seaman, a shipwreck, trace a wartime career etc. There's a particularly good chapter on seamen's medals that I've found helpful, and another on finding out about your ancestor's ships. This book basically shows you what's available and how to go about your research, and it's a lot cheaper than hiring a professional genealogist!