Profile for Louis the cat > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
This One Is Mine
This One Is Mine

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 26 Dec. 2014
This review is from: This One Is Mine (Kindle Edition)
Where to begin? If you liked where'd you go Bernadettte, I'd be very surprised indeed if you liked this. I bought it thinking it was her second novel but it is actually her first, re-released I think. If I was her, I would not have bothered. Poorly written, characters that are hard to give a damn about, ugly story - and should definitely be entered for the bad sex award.

The Awakening
The Awakening

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, 20 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Awakening (Kindle Edition)
A great book, well ahead of its time. A beautifully written, well told story about a well drawn female character

The Miniaturist
The Miniaturist

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 12 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Miniaturist (Kindle Edition)
I did not find this book well written. It felt quite mannered and affected at times. But it did win an award (Waterstones book of the year or something) so I suspect I am in the minority.

The Rose Petal Beach
The Rose Petal Beach

2.0 out of 5 stars Interminable, 1 Aug. 2013
I read this because I enjoyed The Ice cream Girls. This seemed to go on forever and was not as we'll written or edited.

The Silver Linings Playbook
The Silver Linings Playbook

3.0 out of 5 stars A good quick read, 5 May 2013
I enjoyed this. Not earth shattering but engaging, well written and interesting without being too demanding. I haven't seen the film but can imagine that the book translates well - it's a good simple romantic story line.

NW
NW

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 5 May 2013
This review is from: NW (Kindle Edition)
I have read and enjoyed Zadie Smith's previous books, but found this one very patchy. There are stretches which are really well written and engaging, but the storyline has gaps in it which are unhelpful and confusing. It feels like the book has been written in several separate goes, rather than one that flows.

Gone Girl
Gone Girl

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 5 May 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
This is the sort of book you can take on holiday and read on the beach. Its a well constructed thriller that keeps you reading. I agree with some other reviewers that the ending is a bit disappointing, but I wouldn't let that put you off as there is enough here to engage and entertain you,

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as entertaining as it tries to be, 5 April 2013
I know people who have read this book and loved it. I think you have to have a certain type of sense of humour - I found the writing style and the story very dry, and ultimately quite boring.

The Sea, The Sea
The Sea, The Sea

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful but long, 21 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Sea, The Sea (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book but I did find it a bit never ending. It is beautifully written and a story well told, so well worth reading, but probably important to approach it with patience and not assume you can rush through it.

Bedsit Disco Queen: How I grew up and tried to be a pop star
Bedsit Disco Queen: How I grew up and tried to be a pop star

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable, 21 Mar. 2013
Not particularly deep and meaningful but a well written account of a sort of popstar's life. It's a very light read but I really enjoyed it.

Page: 1 | 2