Profile for Shell > Reviews

Content by Shell

Shell (West Midlands)

Page: 1 | 2
Huggies DryNites Boys Age 4-7 (38-66 lbs/17-30 kg) Pyjama Pants - 3 x Packs of 10 (30 Pants) (Design Varies)
Offered by British Essentials
Price: 26.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow, rip off., 7 Dec 2013
At the time of posting this review, these were selling for just over a tenner for a pack of ten. Why would you pay that? If you look in Mothercare, Sainsbury's, Asda or Boots, the price peaks at 5.87. If, like me, you need to buy a lot of these, shop around. There's always one shop doing a deal - most commonly, two packs for 9 or, if you're lucky, one pack for 3.

I find it repugnant that a store would charge 10 for one pack of these pull-ups.

WD Elements 1TB External Desktop Hard Drive USB 2.0 - Black
WD Elements 1TB External Desktop Hard Drive USB 2.0 - Black
Offered by AOT (VAT registered)
Price: 99.99

1.0 out of 5 stars One day it just stopped working..., 8 April 2013
I've sent it to three different professionals and not one of them can work out why this hard drive stopped working suddenly. Bloody annoyed.

The Moneyless Man: A Year of Freeconomic Living
The Moneyless Man: A Year of Freeconomic Living
by Mark Boyle
Price: 6.39

5.0 out of 5 stars The first book to inspire in a while..., 17 Sep 2012
I like to think that I succeeded in taking on the principles of this book before I even read it. Well, heard it. I managed to download this for free via a trial of Audible (via Amazon) and have just finished it in a couple of days.

What I particularly like about it is that it doesn't promise a life of convenience and comfort without money. But it does promise adventure and the possibility of spiritual richness.

Don't get me wrong; I don't 'do' spirituality, but this book has highlighted the fact of western consumer society which is that we buy and buy and buy and at the end of the day, feel no richer than at the start. This is true for me anyhow.

I'm not going to go moneyless. It's not really very practical as a single mother to a young child, but I will be practising some of its principles. I start by sourcing a breadmaker on freecycle. My son is seriously eating me out of loaf and home.

Low-Cost Living: Live better, spend less
Low-Cost Living: Live better, spend less
by John Harrison
Price: 4.79

4.0 out of 5 stars more of a country book than a city one, 10 Sep 2012
Luckily for me, I found this book in a charity shop for a couple of quid. Being a city girl, I assumed that the book would be all about how to make savings in an urban setting, but it's not that sort of book. However, it's been quite an inspiring book. I've not yet got around to making my own yoghurt or keeping my own bees but these are ideas that I'm keeping in the pipeline until I can finally settle down somewhere. I'll certainly be keeping this one on my bookshelf until then.

Clippasafe Waterproof Mattress Sheet (Single Bed)
Clippasafe Waterproof Mattress Sheet (Single Bed)
Price: 5.49

2.0 out of 5 stars It could've been a good'un, 28 July 2012
I had my reservations about the sheet when it came out of the box. Sure, the material itself looked sturdy enough and seemed pretty much waterproof. But the sheet didn't cover the length of my son's bed. I wondered, at the time, where will the wee go? We found out on the first night.

Instead of the wee being soaked into the mattress as usual, it ran the length of the sheet and onto the mattress. So, there... wee in the mattress anyway. Even worse was that the wee which sat on the sheet had to go somewhere too... into the duvet and into the pillow. So instead of having to just clean the mattress as usual, I had to wash the duvet cover, pillow cover and pillow. So, money paid for sheet, more washing machine time (had to do two loads instead of one), and I still have no working sheet.

As for waterproof bedsheets in general... I'm not sure I'd like to continue with them. Surely, lying down in one's own urine all night is not good?

The Jews and Their Future: A Conversation on Judaism and Jewish Identities
The Jews and Their Future: A Conversation on Judaism and Jewish Identities
by Esther Benbassa

5.0 out of 5 stars A freethinking book indeed, 9 Dec 2007
I happened upon this book in a second-hand students' bookstore while I was studying Jewish American literature at university. I have to say that the dialogue format is refreshing. It can be quite difficult to follow the thread of thought at times, however, as the two authors weave in and out of new ideas. This weaving serves also as the book's advantage, as the speakers (authors) are, unconstrained by literary conventions (as an academic author usually is), able to follow tangents that are triggered by the other speaker's words. It's very stream-of-consciousness, in other words.

I would say that the main advantage of this book's format is that it is richer than one might expect one author's structured, written thoughts. The reader is not exposed to only one author's diatribe on a certain subject, but subject to two speakers' flowing expertise, colloquially illustrated by random examples of points made as though the whole idea of the book was to tell a story. Perhaps, at the end of it all, that it what the book is: a story; not a dry display of an academic's intellectual prowess, but an interesting display of two academics' intellectual prowess!

I've Fallen Over
I've Fallen Over
Offered by HANG LOOSE Records
Price: 13.20

5.0 out of 5 stars A half-baked review... but I love this album., 5 Feb 2007
This review is from: I've Fallen Over (Audio CD)
It's rather difficult to categorise this band's sound: lounge, funk, rock, blues, soul. They're all in there. The album complements all types of weather and all moods. But when the sun is shining, the album gets you high (so to speak!)

The dynamics of the album are great. Two guitarists, one bassist, one violinist, one keyboardist, one drummer, two vocalists (perfect harmonies).

George Foreman 10199 'Baby' Clear Lid Grill (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
George Foreman 10199 'Baby' Clear Lid Grill (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Dry food is always the healthiest, 22 Jan 2007
Firstly (and I'm not trying to cause friction here), just how is the previous reviewer managing to put the entire grill in the sink? It's an electrical devise! Anyway, it's easy to clean; a bit of elbow grease is all that's needed! I use babywipes to clean mine and then I give it a once-over with soapy water before rinsing and drying it. I advise that anyone who uses this grill should clean it after every use; it WILL smell and it WILL affect the taste of every meal that's cooked on it afterwards.

I'll agree that toasted buns are far tastier than warmed buns, but then it is just a warmer (on top of the grill); it doesn't present itself as anything else.

The grill only becomes a superfluous gadget if it's not used! The grill comes with a make-do recipe book, so one shouldn't have to wonder what to use the grill for. I've used mine to cook chicken, burgers, vegetables, steak, and much more besides. So really, it's up to you whether it becomes value for money or not.

Unfortunately, the healthiness of the food (i.e. its dryness) takes away from the food's taste. That is, a fried burger tastes much better than a grille burger. But then, the fact that so many of us prefer burgers with the fat running out of the meat and onto our chins is a conflict that WE have to deal with. Fact is, if you like your food to be quite moist, you can always marinade it or, if you're really picky/desperate, you can pour the collected fat back onto the food!

My only 'beef' with it is that it has George Foreman's name on it. He didn't invent it. 'I liked it so much I put my name on it!' - not quite; he put his name on it because he was the only 'star' willing to do so. And the money helped persuade him, I'm sure.

But all in all, it's a great little gadget. One does have to consider if it will be used often enough to justify the price. After all, twenty quid or so is alot of money just to use an item once and realise that you don't actually like it. My advice is to visit the Foreman website and check out the online recipes; if you like the look of the food on 'offer', it may be for you.

Sex & Religion
Sex & Religion
Price: 4.31

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb experiment in sound and concept., 11 Aug 2006
This review is from: Sex & Religion (Audio CD)
When buying one of Vai's albums it's important to remember that you are not buying 'popular style' or 'conformity'; you are buying Vai's Vision. This album is classed as Vai's vocal album; the one in which the great Devin Townsend lent his extraordinary vocal talents to. REMEMBER THIS! This album is not in the same vein as Vai's other, more self-indulgent instrumentals. It is not supposed to compare. Vai has said it numerous times before: this was his vision, to create a vocal album that focused less on his techical wizardry and more on his songwriting abilities. People, however, just absolutely love to grate on Vai's 'inferiority' as a songwriter, giving little thought to the concept of Vai as an experimentalist. He experimented: Sex and Religion was the outcome.

So, if you do decide to buy this album, do not expect six-minute solos in every song. Do expect some excellent chord sequences, a solid backing band and some magnificent and thoughtful vocals (and listen out for the vocal solo: superb!).

And also remember that the concept of the album - Sex and Religion - could not have been explored so comprehensively without the aid of Devin.

On Beauty
On Beauty
by Zadie Smith
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant atmosphere. Brilliant observation of life and people., 10 Aug 2006
This review is from: On Beauty (Paperback)
Well, I have just finished the book and, although it's late and I'm tired, I'll give you a brief review of what I percieve to be a very good piece of modern literary fiction.

What this book concerns is its observations of people, their views and their moral ideals and, in particular, those ideals as measured against actual standards. The characters in this book are quite real: they percieve themselves to be of a higher moral and intellectual order. Well, the bulk of them do. However, their behaviour is a clear opposite to these perceptions and we are presented with some self-absorbed, pretentious motor-mouths who are, although clever in the academic sense, completely inedept at this thing we call 'life'. This makes for some amusing antagonisms: Howard Belsey, M.A., PhD (;-)) and his inability to decipher some of the obvious mind games played by the beautiful Victoria Kipps. I will not spoil the fun for you by revealing details. Monty Kipps, the conservative homophobic whose high horse is shattered from beneath him and Zora, the self-obsessed and slightly vainglorious daughter of Howard whose self perceptions are tortured by the banal insults from a supposed 'non-intellectual'.

The ambience in the book is - and this is the only word I can think of right now - 'transatlantic'. It describes and represents difrerent cultures - the British, the North-American, the African - in a mash variety depicted by its mixed-race and multi-cultured characters.

Anyway, I'm sorry about this vague and convoluted 'review'. It's rubbish really and it hasn't told you anything that you will find helpful and possibly even meaningful, but perhaps you'll believe me when I say that it's worth your time. It certainly created some cannon fodder for the brain concerning perceptions and the depiction of 'minory ethnic' groups, self-denial and mid-life crises and the (probably) pointless question of who's intellectually and morally superior? The anally-retentive conservative or the anally-expulsive liberal? The fact of the matter is, by the end of this book, the characters are neither. They're just people feeling their way through life.

Page: 1 | 2