Profile for Marie > Reviews

50 First Dates [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Adam Sandler
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars entertaining and very funny non the less, 16 Jan. 2015
This review is from: 50 First Dates [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
Romantic yes, Unrealistic yes, entertaining and very funny non the less.

Elvis & Ginger
Elvis & Ginger
by Alden, Ginger

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 16 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Elvis & Ginger (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed this memoir I got a very strong sense of sincerity and honesty which is particularly important when reading a book about Elvis as too many books about him have been sensationalised. I think Ginger has been very classy by remaining silent for so many years this book is just what was needed we all wanted to hear Gingers story and she has delivered it very well.

Aquaphor Healing Ointment 103 ml

Udderly Smooth Extra Care 227g Unscented Moisturising Cream with Urea
Udderly Smooth Extra Care 227g Unscented Moisturising Cream with Urea
Offered by united care

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 16 Jan. 2015
I wasn't too impressed i'll stick to my Zeroderm

Prem-I-Air Bebe Mini Ultrasonic Humidifier with 0.8 Litre Water Tank
Prem-I-Air Bebe Mini Ultrasonic Humidifier with 0.8 Litre Water Tank
Offered by Motionperformance - Waxacar

5.0 out of 5 stars Would Reccommend, 16 Jan. 2015
I would recommend this product, does exactly what its supposed to and long lasting. I especially enjoy using it a night time.

Beauty-Boxes St Tropez Pink Cosmetics and Make-up Beauty Case
Beauty-Boxes St Tropez Pink Cosmetics and Make-up Beauty Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Beauty Case, 16 Jan. 2015
Fantastic product, just what I needed to store all my makeup
Comment Comment | Permalink

Born To Die
Born To Die

5.0 out of 5 stars Blue Eyed Soul, 4 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Born To Die (Audio CD)
Lana Del Rey has made a big impression with her debut she has a distinctive sound and image both inspired by the more glamorous era of Hollywood. Best Songs on this album are born to die, off to the races, Blue jeans, Video games, Dark paradise & Radio. Very refreshing, I recommend
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2012 1:23 PM GMT

James Dean: The Complete James Dean Collection [DVD] [2005]
James Dean: The Complete James Dean Collection [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Elizabeth Taylor
Offered by TastyMate

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Film At Its Best, 27 Aug. 2011
Bought this DVD collection on impulse whilst browsing amazon one day, having never seen any James Dean movies I guess I was a little curious and I have to say I really enjoyed all three movies. Suprisingly they each addressed all kinds of controversial issues at such a conservative time (gang culture, juvenile delinquency, fixed gender roles, racial intolerance, single parenthood), James Deans raw talent, charisma and impossibly perfect good looks brings so much to the characters he portrays. The tragic circumstances surrounding his death before the release of the movies adds a touch of mysticism. Each DVD also contains special features including documentries, casting footage and deleated scenes giving you more for your money. I no longer need to question who James Dean was and why he is such a cultural icon. I strongly recommend this hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Elvis and Me
Elvis and Me
by Sandra Harmon
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Elvis and Me, 20 Aug. 2011
I really enjoyed this book, at first I mistakenly assumed that reading this book was unnecessary as I had seen the made for TV movie based on it. However I am glad I did decide to read it as the movie missed so much out, over sensationalised certain aspects and even changed the chronological order of things.

I think Priscilla tries to tell the story as impartial as she can, quoting at the very beginning "Don't criticize what you don't understand son, you never walked in that mans shoes" (Elvis Quote) maybe im naive but I got a strong sense of sincerity while reading this book I think she genuinely loved him. I recommend this book.

Priscilla, Elvis and Me
Priscilla, Elvis and Me
by Michael Edwards
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars In the shadow of the King, 1 Aug. 2011
Wanted to read this as I believed the subject matter here to be potentially explosive: An avid Elvis fan from childhood shortly after the death of "the king" finds himself filling his role in the Presley family as Priscilla's lover and Lisa Marie's father figure.

Firstly I would start by saying I thought this book was a good read, short and sweet, unintentional humour not much waffling and surprisingly flowed well considering this guy actually wrote every word himself and he isn't a professional writer. Something good about this book in comparison to other Presley related novels is you can't help but believe that every last detail in the book is "unflinchingly honest" (as the blurb on the back cover states) as he delves into his deepest darkest thoughts about his romantic feelings for an underage Lisa Marie to whom he was a father-like figure referring to her as his "beloved" one time when he sneaked into her room when she was sleeping to "look at" her and recalling another time he was playing with her in the swimming pool and he got sexually aroused. Edwards also without openly stating it more or less admits that he was very obsessed with Elvis, he admits that as a kid he was a fan of Elvis Music and tried to style his hair like his, at the meeting with Priscilla he was desperate to meet her purely because of her association with him and he describes going into Elvis bathroom at his palm springs home stepping into the shower and smelling his "old wrung out wash cloth", amongst other things. It's not clear in the book as to whether he ever actually revealed to Priscilla how admiring he was of her ex husband.

The book also goes quite abit into his past before meeting Priscilla which is interesting because a lot of it can explain some of his erratic behaviour later in life and reveals the realities of life as a top model around this time. He again without saying it credits himself for getting Priscilla into acting as he kept trying to support her and push her to achieve her dreams and ironically helps Priscilla write her novel "Elvis and Me".

I loved the fact that whilst reading this novel I began to feel like I knew him inside out as he held nothing back and you could really tell that the egotistical, laid back, daredevil between the pages was the same one behind the keyboard, which I thought complemented the book in its entirety. I don't think Priscilla was portrayed badly at all except for close to the end although the author doesn't seem resentful towards her. Lots of celebs make brief guest appearances such as Cher, Muhammad Ali and Richard Gere.

To finish off I just want to say that I think this book has gotten more flack than it deserves yes it was wrong that he lusted after an underage girl but he never said that he made any advances towards her and it seems as if he did genuinely love Priscilla as the book went along. I also got a sense of how passionately the book was written and I don't think anyone was portrayed badly except for himself in his unashamedly witty manner. He seemed like nothing more than a harmless lost soul who was eager to step in and fill his idols shoes. At the end there's a "postscript" which I guess as it's based on a true story is the equivalent of a work of fictions epilogue where he explains the controversy the book receieved on its release, comments such as "He should be shot - or horsewhipped would be even better" but ends with the paragraph "What I know of Priscilla and Lisa today is the same as what you know; it's what I read in the press. I'm sorry we no longer communicate. It's their wish and I respect it. But it's very important that they know I will always be there if they need me. I never meant for my honesty to hurt anyone"