Profile for Mark > Reviews

Starting and Running a Business All-in-One For Dummies
by Liz Barclay

5.0 out of 5 stars Good reference guide, 20 April 2011
Great value for money!

This book is very long and covers a large range of topics in good enough detail to get you started. I have been using it as a reference for issues as they arise (the book is well divided to make this an easy task), and I have also slowly been progressing through the entire book.

It is by no means a short read (at least for average readers like me).

I do find some parts aren't that interesting/ useful but you can always skip those parts (especially if not relevant to your company).

Anyway, if you are considering starting a company (or already have done recently), you should buy this book.

The dummies series is great!

Sales Closing For Dummies
Sales Closing For Dummies
by Tom Hopkins

5.0 out of 5 stars First dummies purchase, 9 April 2011
I commute to work via train and therefore books are a nice way to put this time to good use.

Easy read, and you can re-read parts and enhance skills even more. Very useful, you will see an increase in sales performance, guaranteed. At the end of the day, everyone wants to develop the skills used in their career, and this book is one part of developing those skills. I have decided to make many other dummies purchases as a result.

Only problem is, when I open this book on the train I get the feeling people think I'm stupid because of the "for dummies"!

Anyway, if you're looking at this book, then it definitely is for you. There are other for dummies books on sales, you may want to purchase those as well.

Regards,

Talk Business Russian
Talk Business Russian

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and useful!, 9 April 2011
This review is from: Talk Business Russian (CD-ROM)
Very good. You can see how words are spoken, which helps you pronounce better even if not in a Russian speaking country for practice!

It is broken down into nice topic areas so you can choose which part of business language is most important to you at the current moment.

One thing I would say though, is that for some reason when I was recording my voice it recorded very quiet.. maybe there are controls to adjust it but I didn't really look for them. (I just practice what I've learned to a friend over skype).

4 star!

Empire: Total War (PC DVD)
Empire: Total War (PC DVD)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing. Always loved Total War series., 14 Mar 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I actually paid for this game, I loved it so much!

So much time and effort has gone into detail on this game.
Watch the trailers. nothing extra needs to be stated.

If you are looking at napoleon total war, you can play it without Empire total war. So go and read a review for napoleon.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PC DVD)
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PC DVD)
Offered by Entertainment Hub Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars The best FPS game I have ever played, 14 Mar 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Call of Duty?
Counter Strike?
Left for Dead?

no no no!

Battlefield Bad company 2.
Once you get used to the realism of battlefield, playing on call of duty games will make you feel like you just grabbed your old pc and played a game released in 2000.

Honestly, if you want a FPS game, buy this.

The most ridiculous thing is that BB2 is less than 50% the price of call of duty. Don't worry, you don't need to thank me.

Cold Calling Techniques: That Really Work!
Cold Calling Techniques: That Really Work!
by Stephan Schiffman

2.0 out of 5 stars Realistic but sometimes basic, 14 Mar 2011
book is reasonably good. I find alot of the things in the book are fairly obvious. This book is for absolute beginners (literally, zero sales experience).

Some of the language in the book is simple, however it is spot on and it makes you really think about the small things you previously disregarded.

Book drifts off topic quite alot and some of his "real life examples" feel like complete fabrications.

At the end of the day, my sales performance has increased, even if marginally, by reading this book, and therefore it could be argued it was worthwhile. However, there are probably better alternatives on the market.

This book has great info on the basic principles of cold calling, and making the initial call(s). If you are looking for something different, I recommend purchasing a different book.

Talk Russian (Book & CDs)
Talk Russian (Book & CDs)
by Georgina Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Star. Can't go wrong., 10 Mar 2011
5 Star.

Expect nothing less than the best from the BBC.

Fantastic book, easy to learn (with audio CD). Also it provides phrases that you WILL need and also teaches you the alphabet.

I bought this book to train my Russian before going to an ex-soviet state, and it proved useful in greeting, getting around, going out and every day conversations.

Without it I would have had to spend hundreds of pounds on lessons, or struggle to survive in a country where English is barely spoken to a proper level.

It has provided the basis for me to start learning business Russian, and no doubt will provide me with an invaluable skill for the future.

*requires dedication to teaching self Russian

IF YOU WANT TO LEARN RUSSIAN. BUY THIS BOOK.

Marketing
Marketing
by Paul Baines

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, well worth the cost, 10 Mar 2011
This review is from: Marketing (Paperback)
I bought this book to teach myself some marketing principles. I am a post-grad and was looking to develop my business skills.

The book is great! It is well divided into suitable topics, provides useful real world examples of marketing strategies put in place in the past. It is also an easy read!

Ignore the review saying the book is badly written. It provides just enough detail and stays interesting. I question if the reviewer was upset with the book, or the course he had chosen to study.

A good place to start for getting into marketing principles! It has helped me develop my marketing skills, which in turn have earned me good references and job offers.