Profile for Iain S > Reviews

Seagate ST315005EXD101-RK 1.5TB Expansion USB 2.0 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive
Offered by BOMS
Price: 84.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Click of death, 19 Jan 2012
I'm yet another customer to suffer the click of death.

I bought a drive in 2009, and within a year it sounded like it was made of clockwork. I had to pay 10 to send it back to Seagate, who gave me a certified repair. A year down the line, and guess what is happening to the replacement...

Avoid this at all costs - go for something reliable like a Hitachi..

Analog Worms Attack
Analog Worms Attack
Offered by dutchtoni
Price: 11.74

5.0 out of 5 stars The French sure do produce some strange music :o), 2 Sep 2000
This review is from: Analog Worms Attack (Audio CD)
I feel quite sorry for the guys behind Mr. Oizo. The insanely huge success of Flat Beat following the Levi's ad led to a big intrest in them, and then all the people who bought the album (cos it was the in thing) were shocked, suprised, dissappointed? That's what I'm getting from these reviews.
I must admit, AwA should have come with a warning - THIS IS NOT 15 FLAT BEAT'S - Well, more to the point it should have come with a warning saying - this is the most insane music you're ever likely to hear -
There is a very fine line between genius and insanity, and these guys are making an audio mess all over that nice white fence. They can produce some mind bending noises, and turn them into curious funky beats. The caption inside "one speaker is enough" sums it up. I could happily sit in a padded cell with one mighty Sony speaker and listen to this being pumped out. But, I am crazy, which is probably why I think this is easily among the top 5 artists ever. Just a strange note, try playing it in a discman, it will eat the batteries in less than an hour I found, and it won't work without ESP! strange!
Just make sure you know at least 5 of the songs before you buy it, otherwise, expect the unexpected.

Aglio E Olio
Aglio E Olio
Offered by thebookcommunity
Price: 25.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Punk! Beastie Boys? Confused :o), 2 Sep 2000
This review is from: Aglio E Olio (Audio CD)
I bought all the Beasties work in the wrong order, starting with Hi Nasty and working backwards. Getting to Aglio E Olio was quite a suprise. Absolute hard&fast moshing craziness! Not really what I'm in to, I like the layed back white hiphop, but it's still great. I must admit, I only bought it because it said Beastie Boys on the front...but still, it's worth it!

Remanufacture
Remanufacture
Price: 8.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Power. Pure audio power., 2 Sep 2000
This review is from: Remanufacture (Audio CD)
I heard most of the songs off the original Demanufacture before I heard this. That's the right way round to hear things, otherwise it gets real confusing. Remanufacture contains remixes of the heavy metal on Demanufacture, with a cunning twist. The heavy guitars and powerful drums are warped into some very hard hitting dance/techno. It has to be heard to be believed. This album is probably the most powerful work I have ever heard. It even beats the pure power of all three RATM offerings, and all of FF's other work. Every song hits with such a force it left me stunned. T-1000 (H-K) is some of the hardest techno you will ever hear, and to hear that combined with the guitars of the original sped up to fit. At full volume it's enough to make you want to go out and flip cars with your bare hands. Then the total opposite, 21st Century Jesus (pisschrist) is an eerily moving piece of music. There is just something about the oriental noises that start, moving into the trance like tune, and the one note powerful guitars, it leaves me in a place far far away. Then to hear the sample from T2 in there!
This album is pure genius, and I am sure it is their best work ever. If you are after pureblood guitar rock/metal stuff, you might not like it, but if you have an open mind and like quality dance music (not club b's) you will love this album. /|/| /| /_

DJ Hype Presents The Ganja Kru: Super Sharp Shooter E.P.
DJ Hype Presents The Ganja Kru: Super Sharp Shooter E.P.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insane class genius excellence!, 2 Sep 2000
You can't hope to understand the insane quality of SSS till you've heard it. The noise is like nothing I've ever heard before, it is enough to put me in a fit o' the giggles any time, and the drum'n'bass that follows is, well, DJ Hype, in my mind that says it all.
Hype is Drum'n'Bass at its very best.

The Battle Of Los Angeles
The Battle Of Los Angeles
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.80

5.0 out of 5 stars More of the same, yet totally different. Still perfect! :o), 2 Sep 2000
RATM released in 93. Everybody everywhere loved it. Evil Empire comes in 97, and a lot of people don't like it. It was different. Now it's 3rd time round and another album, another change in style, and a lot of people don't like it this time.
I on the other hand love every little bit of it. If they released another mosh-athon or another diverse guitar hiphop collection, I would be dissappointed at them running out of ideas. Instead they have made another totally fresh delivery system for their message. More musical, with more flowing from Zack and some mighty fine works from the band. It almost seems like Rage have gotten a little older and are changing the music accordingly. It reminds me of how the Beastie Boys have changed lately. This is a good thing in my opinion, as this album makes you think, as well as making you want to jump up and rampage. As usual, if one of these songs appeared on a normal album, it would be the golden nugget, but in its setting, I can only say that all the songs deserve special credit. Rage haven't yet made a lousy song, and I think they'll have retired and become angry senators before they do.
Long live the kings.

Evil Empire
Evil Empire
Offered by Giant Entertainment
Price: 4.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Not better. Not worse. Just a different style of brilliance, 2 Sep 2000
This review is from: Evil Empire (Audio CD)
I know opinions about this album are mixed, as they are with The Battle of LA. I cannot say this album is better or worse than the first one, only that it is different. This is a stunning blend of anger and funk. The heavy moshing stuff has taken a back seat to 'bounce-up-and-down' funky styles. The lyrics are just as full of anger, and are at the same level of brilliance. The tunes themselves all have a certain quality to them. They are just good, they hit you hard right from the start, and never let up. Every one is a gem.
This might not be for everyone's taste, and I don't know why. I think it is just a different delivery of the same true quality. Peace.

Rage Against The Machine
Rage Against The Machine
Offered by b68solutions
Price: 4.39

5.0 out of 5 stars RATM makes everything else look like :o), 2 Sep 2000
I heard this album 7 years ago, back when I was just 10. Then, to me it was a lot of shouting, a lot of rude words, and funky loud guitars! Nowadays that's what I think when I listen to 'nu-rock' or whatever it is, Korn, Limp, Coal Chamber, and all them. They are just guitars and a guy screaming about rather unhappy things.
Now, when I listen to Rage, I hear something completely different. Vocals that convey the most power and emotion I have ever heard. Zack puts such intensity into all his songs, the quiet ones can make you just as angry as the screaming ones. The style is also much better than anything else I've heard. His singing goes from quiet rhyming to funky hiphop verses, to screaming catchphrases of anger and rage against 'the machine'. This is all backed up by the greatest guitarist today, Morello. He does things that not even I can do with my collection of air-guitars! Briliant solo pieces fit seemlessly with tunes that will keep you motivated and angry. Timmy C on the bass is normally overlooked due to Morello's greatness, but he keeps everything together with catchy riffs. And finally drum beats to keep it all lively and kicking.
I don't need to mention any of their songs for special praise, they all deserve it. This is a brilliant album that makes all other rock bands look amateur.
Thankyou, and goodnight.

Live & Rare
Live & Rare
Price: 25.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it for this price..., 2 Sep 2000
This review is from: Live & Rare (Audio CD)
Overall an impressive CD, it shows Rage at their best, live. A few of the song's are not on any of their other albums, as well as the very apt poem read by Zach to some backing music (Hadda be playing on the Jukebox) Also, some of the stories behind the songs that are told, give a real insight into the band. Only quibble is the first half is very similar to their first album, not much varience with the live performances.

The Middle of Nowhere
The Middle of Nowhere
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure and beutiful music, 24 Jun 2000
This review is from: The Middle of Nowhere (Audio CD)
Even before listening to this CD I knew it was something special. The white packaging, with blurred images has a certain cleanliness about it. The music on this label is nothing short of inspiring. The first few seconds of this album hit you full on with a beutiful loop of bells, and then the music gets going, it just has to be experienced. The album could just contain the song Way Out and still be worth the full 15! Not meaning the other songs are worthless, they are all masterpieces with the same vibrant flowing energy. The epitemy of Orbital.