Profile for NomdePlume > Reviews

Friday Night Lights: Series 1-5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kyle Chandler
Price: 23.75

5.0 out of 5 stars A Joy to Watch, 22 Jan 2014
Friday Night Lights was a pure joy to watch from beginning to end. It made me laugh and cry many times and it sometimes made me feel like I was from Dillon, Texas. It's one of the best shows I have ever watched and is certainly going to stand the test of time. I highly recommend it.

When Harry Met Sally [DVD] [1989]
When Harry Met Sally [DVD] [1989]
Dvd ~ Billy Crystal
Price: 4.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of my favourites, 30 Dec 2013
I had never seen this movie up until a few nights ago which for me is hard to believe because this is my kind of genre. I'm slightly ashamed to say that I didn't like it all that much. I love Meg Ryan. I loved Nora Ephron. They made some fantastic memorable movies together but for me this is just not one of them. I found the pace of the story way too slow for my liking. I wish I loved it I really do.

Broadchurch [DVD]
Broadchurch [DVD]
Dvd ~ Olivia Colman
Price: 13.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling Viewing, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Broadchurch [DVD] (DVD)
I missed this when it was shown on TV earlier 2013 and had heard good reviews about it so I decided to buy it. To be honest murder mystery TV shows are not my favourite and I tend to just flick past them on TV which is probably why I missed out on Broadchurch first time around.
It is set in Broadchurch a small coastal town where the body of an 11 year old schoolboy is found lying on the beach. A murder investigation is launched and leading the investigation are new arrival Alec Hardy (Tennant), an experienced Detective and Ellie Miller (Coleman) a native of Broadchurch but has never been involved in an investigation of this magnitude before. Broadchurch is a quiet town. Things like this don't happen there. But throughout the investigation we find that some of the residents are shrouded in secrecy and some even crumble under the pressure.
The suspicion was shifted from each episode to the next and you are really left guessing until the very end but the outcome was almost as tragic as the murder that I was even thinking about it for days afterwards.
I do believe they are planning on making a Season 2 of Broadchurch which half of me is thrilled about but the other half of me would like them to leave it as an excellent one-off series.
Highly recommend viewing.

Reconstructing Amelia
Reconstructing Amelia
Price: 3.66

4.0 out of 5 stars A recommended read, 5 Nov 2013
Reconstructing Amelia tells the story of Kate, a successful Manhattan Lawyer and single parent to teenager Amelia. Kate, whilst at work is contacted by Amelia's school to say that her daughter has been suspended for reasons that wouldn't be discussed in a telephone conversation. Kate leaves work to make her way to her daughter's school and when she arrives there to find out that her daughter is dead. She took her own life by jumping from the roof of the school building. She had been accused of cheating on a paper and we are lead to believe that this is the reason why she chose to end her own life. Her death is ruled a suicide but Kate cannot believe her daughter would so such a thing and so she starts to delve into Amelia's diary, her phone, emails and social media for clues. He daughter had a life that she had no idea existed, a life of secret societies, gossip, intrigue which are conveyed in the book by way of various flashbacks and facebook entries etc. I enjoyed this book. It did get going pretty quickly but I did feel that there were a few loose ends that could have been tied up like the outcome for some of the other characters for example. It's horrible to believe that the theme running through this novel is a huge factor of life in almost every school in the world. I did find it emotional in parts especially knowing of Amelia's fate. I would recommend this book. I do believe they are going to be making it into a movie (like all books nowadays it seems).

The Civil Wars
The Civil Wars
Price: 8.12

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums of 2013!, 5 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Civil Wars (Audio CD)
I downloaded the Civil Wars album when it was released so I have been listening to it for a couple of months now. It's great album. All the songs are great and the more I listen to it the more my favourite songs keep changing. Joy Williams has such a beautiful voice and she does feature a lot more that John Paul White on this recording than on "Barton Hollow" but it doesn't really take away from it. I absolutely love "Tell Mama" - the tone of her voice on this is so beautiful I could listen to it over and over again. It's a shame that conflict arose between the two of them but I'd rather have two great albums than if they continued to carry on making music and maybe record mediocre albums. This, for me is one of the best releases of 2013.

Jersey Boys Original Broadway Cast Recording [Uk Version]
Jersey Boys Original Broadway Cast Recording [Uk Version]
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Soundtrack, 20 Aug 2013
I went to see Jersey Boys in the West End last year and it is without a doubt one of the best shows I have ever seen. The soundtrack brings it all to life again. I liked the snippets of dialogue throughout the CD too. The CD is a must for any fan of the show.

The Bling Ring
The Bling Ring
by Nancy Jo Sales
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars The Suspects Wore Louboutins!, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Bling Ring (Paperback)
I had never heard of "The Bling Ring" gang until I read an article called "The Suspects Wore Louboutins" online a couple of months ago. It originally appeared in Vanity Fair a couple of years ago and it is this article on which the movie is based. It was written by the same author Nancy Jo Sales. I thought the book was a bit long winded in parts, it rambled on at stages about statistics and surveys which to be honest were of no relevance to me. I am not particularly interested in celeb culture but I was fascinated as to how amateur thieves managed to get away with it for so long. If you are thinking of getting it I would recommend reading the article on which the book is based first as it's really a synopsis of the book.

The Silver Linings Playbook
The Silver Linings Playbook
Price: 2.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Cloud has a Silver Lining!, 19 Aug 2013
I really liked this book I found it quite uplifting in places but at times I found it quite moving. I was rooting for Pat the entire way through the book.

I loved the title of the book too ... it's a very upbeat despite the subject matter.

Since reading the book I have watched the movie and I didn't like the adaptation at all.

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Black
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Black
Price: 59.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my Kindle!, 17 Aug 2013
I bought my kindle almost 12 months ago. I have a two hour round trip to work every day and had seen a lot of people using them. I wasn't a big reader (maybe 3 or 4 books a year) and had wanted to try and read more so like any major purchase I thought long and hard before buying this Kindle. I am so happy I bought it. I LOVE MY KINDLE! I use it every day. It's lightweight and there are so few controls which makes it very easy to use. The eInk quality is great and makes it very easy to read - there is no glare. The inbuilt dictionary is handy. The battery life is great too and it even powers off itself if you nod off when reading!! I have read more books on my Kindle than I did before I had it. Most of the eBooks in the Kindle Store are good value and some are free and they take hardly any time to download.
I got the Kindle Cover Amazon Kindle Leather Cover, Olive Green (will only fit Kindle)too which compliments my kindle perfectly. It fits snugly into my handbag. I regret not buying the Kindle ages ago.

Amazon Kindle Leather Cover, Olive Green (will only fit Kindle)
Amazon Kindle Leather Cover, Olive Green (will only fit Kindle)
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Accessory for my Kindle, 17 Aug 2013
I have my Kindle Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Black and my Kindle Cover for almost 12 months. The Kindle slots into the cover easily and does not obstruct any of the kindle controls. It's a nice streamlined cover compared to other covers which can make the eReader quite chunky. The cover folds back when your reading and there is a lovely felt finish to the inside cover and it feels nice when reading. After a year there are a couple of signs of wear but I kind of like that - I've got hours of happy reading and it shows! I love the colour too.

It was a little expensive but I'm happy I got it.

Page: 1 | 2