Profile for Yorkshirelass > Reviews

Content by Yorkshirelass

Yorkshirelass

Page: 1 | 2
San Francisco Island (a disaster survival novella)
San Francisco Island (a disaster survival novella)

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better, 27 April 2013
This was a shortish story based around 2 families. A terrible earthquake hits San Francisco and this book is how the families cope.

To be honest I'd have preferred more on the disaster and less on the families. I just didn't really care what happened to them, I guess i didn't feel sufficiently engaged.

An OK story, but glad it was free, I'd have been very disappointed if I'd paid for it.

The End - Visions of Apocalypse
The End - Visions of Apocalypse

3.0 out of 5 stars OK I Guess, 27 April 2013
I'm not normally that fond of short stories, but these were actually OK. Some of the stories left you wanting more - others just passed the time.

It's free so worth a try I guess

Bitter Harvest (Harvest Trilogy, Book 2)
Bitter Harvest (Harvest Trilogy, Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the first!, 27 April 2013
After reading the 1st book I actually purchased this one (not like me at all)! I was not disapointed. The story starts a year after the 1st book ended. The story never lets up and again goes hell for leather to a climactic ending. There were some really nice dramatic twists, a couple of which I just didn't see coming at all. I was completely engrossed in the story and found it really difficult to put down.

There is far more action in this book than in the first, but it was true to the nature of the story and felt right for what you are being told.

I can not wait for the third book in this series - come on Michael publish it soon - I can't bear the suspense any longer!

Season Of The Harvest (Harvest Trilogy Book 1)
Season Of The Harvest (Harvest Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - Fantastic Book!, 27 April 2013
I don't normally read this genre but took a chance on this as it was free and the outline sounded promising. I am SO glad that I did. The story took a little while to get into but then it was a case of buckle up and hold onto your hats!! I quite literally struggled to put this book down - every spare second I had I spent reading it and just couldn't get to the end fast enough to find out what happened.

No spoilers from me! The storyline was chilling and actually very believable. I liked the characters who became very real & didn't seem in any way false. Their reactions were what you would expect and the book was all the more enjoyable because of it.

Give it a try, there are far worse ways to spend a couple of days!

INVASION USA (Book 1) - The End of Modern Civilization
INVASION USA (Book 1) - The End of Modern Civilization

3.0 out of 5 stars Arrrgh !, 23 Mar. 2013
I'm about 40% of the way through this book and am waiting for it to get started! The back story hasn't really let me know who the main characters are and the language that they use is so ponderous that I have to keep reading it to make sure I've got it right. There is just no way that the people in this book would speak the way that is written - it's so correct and proper that even the Queen may struggle!! I want to find out what happens though, I can feel something brewing. I just want to get into it without all this other stuff getting in the way. I'm going to keep perservering I don't like to be beaten by a book!!!

The Phoenix Conspiracy (The Phoenix Conspiracy Series Book 1)
The Phoenix Conspiracy (The Phoenix Conspiracy Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 15 Oct. 2011
I've just finished this book today & have to say that I loved it. I couldn't wait to see what happened and just how the crew were going to get themselves out of the pickle they were in.

There were a couple of typos but otherwise the book flowed very well with just enough character development for you to feel involved and bothered about what happened to them.

The lead charcter Calvin is quirky and i really liked that he wasn't rigid in his ways - it made him sem far more human and approachable.

Looking forwards to the sequel.........

Lye in Wait: A Home Crafting Mystery
Lye in Wait: A Home Crafting Mystery

5.0 out of 5 stars Ripping Yarn, 20 Sept. 2011
I loved this book. I found the characters engaging and likeable in this story of murder and mayhem! It was a great way to spend a few hours and to be honest I was reading this in every spare moment.

There was tension both in the murder (or was it suicide) and also the developing romance between Sophie Mae & Ambrose. The plot line moved along at a cracking pace and kept me guessing right to the end in fact I didn't guess what had happened at all! The twists and turns were brilliant.

A really good read.

Frontiersman's Daughter, The: A Novel
Frontiersman's Daughter, The: A Novel

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 20 Sept. 2011
This book offered an interesting insight to settlers lives in the 18th century. The lead character is a very strong woman and I found myself willing her to succeed despite her irritating habit of not being able to decide which man she liked. In someways the ending was a tad predictable but with a twist!

Overall I enjoyed this book & would recomend you give it a go.

Clear Blue Sky: A Novel
Clear Blue Sky: A Novel

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what it says in the description!, 20 Sept. 2011
This book should have been described more as "a cops life" rather than about 9/11! The majority of the book was about his coleagues, his journey to God, battle with alcoholism & the family from hell with his arrests thrown in! The last couple of chapter dealt with the events of 9/11 in New York and how he and his crew dealt with the horrific events. This part of the book was very moving and brought home the utter horror of what happened.

In some respects I don't know how much more he could have said about 9/11 I guess I just feel that the description was misleading.

Dragon Town (Dragon City (Book Three of Four) 3)
Dragon Town (Dragon City (Book Three of Four) 3)

2.0 out of 5 stars What!!!!, 28 Aug. 2011
Suddenly we find that Saphire from the first book is the lead character of this one. Having no mention at all in the last one she appears out of the blue with Alex & Argus getting a passing mention but no real input. Without spoiling it I was astounded at the ending & was left feeling very flat & left down. The story ended with no resolution & seemed like the author rushed to get there with no real plan ofhow to end the story satisfactorily.

Page: 1 | 2