Profile for Nomesky > Reviews

Microadventures: Local Discoveries for Great Escapes
Microadventures: Local Discoveries for Great Escapes
by Alastair Humphreys

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventurous!, 25 Jun. 2014
I stumbled across an article on micro adventures in The Sunday Times Style Magazine citing this book. The article was incredibly inspiring and this led me to research the life and times of Alistair Murphy. This book is an an amazingly practical guide to living adventurously. Beautifully illustrated. Inspiring.

Innovation for Underdogs: How to Make the Leap from What If to Now What
Innovation for Underdogs: How to Make the Leap from What If to Now What
by Dr David Pensak

2.0 out of 5 stars Stretching the analogy a bit too far...., 11 Mar. 2011
I just didn't get this book. Dr Pensak stretches the "underdog" analogy too far. I didn't find anything here on any value. The more Dr Pensak highlighted his innovative past, the less I believed mere mortals could be creative - this is man who taught himself a computer language in a matter of days in order to write a computer programme to analyse a scientists stats. Now I do not believe this is something that 'just anybody' can achieve.

There are much better books on creativity and innovation around ("Sticky Wisdom" by WhatIf? is by far the best, to my mind) which do indeed show that creativity is in the hands of us all.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Nerds bible, 21 Jun. 2010
I thought this would be an entertaining book on the USA Travel Channel's programmes. Instead I found a book of lists of each progamme, the individual episode titles from each series and dates for when they first aired.

No pics. Just a nerdy bible. Utterly pointless publication. Returned without any feeling of guilt!

Sophie Conran's Pies
Sophie Conran's Pies
by Sophie Conran

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly scrumptious, 17 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Sophie Conran's Pies (Paperback)
Thought I should add my tuppence worth. I cannot believe the publishers have let this title lapse. It is fantastic - some of the recipes have been so delicious that my wife and I have scoffed the pie filling without even putting on the pastry lid! The chicken in coconut milk is a revelation.

Back of the Napkin, The: Solving Problems and Selling Ideas with Pictures
Back of the Napkin, The: Solving Problems and Selling Ideas with Pictures
by Dan Roam

3.0 out of 5 stars I agree with "John"....., 17 July 2009
"John"'s review hits the nail on the head.

Dan Roam goes on and on (and on and on....!) about how useful visual thinking is by recycling the same, ironically VERBOSE (!!), arguments for it again and again (and again and again....!). If this was done for reinforcement - it fails! It simply suggests padding out a book which otherwise would be a pamphlet.

There really isn't much in this book, to my mind, that isn't covered in skeleton form in Dan Roam's website for Back of a Napkin & Youtube! You may wish to save your pennies.....

Pillsbury Best of the Bake Off Cookies and Bars
Pillsbury Best of the Bake Off Cookies and Bars
by Pillsbury Editors

2.0 out of 5 stars Do your homework, 10 Mar. 2009
Had I done a little more research before greedily buying this book, I would have realised that the Pillsbury "Bake Off" requires the contestant to use Pillsbury products to cook with.

Whilst some of these are simply branded "all purpose flour" which can be easily substituted, many of the recipes use specialist pillsbury cake mixes or cookie doughs that are not easily available in the UK and are difficult to substitute. So, despite my current cookie craze and some mouthwatering cookie pictures in this book, I doubt I'll make too many recipes from this book.

Slow Cooking: Easy Slow Cooker Recipes
Slow Cooking: Easy Slow Cooker Recipes
by Katie Bishop

3.0 out of 5 stars Size matters, 10 Mar. 2009
Whilst this book is very good, the cleverest recipes use a loaf tin or pudding basin sat inside the slow cooker for cooking. The introduction explains that this requires a 6.5litre crock pot. My slow cooker is half this size so I cannot get the most out of these recipes. The remaining recipes, that do not use this clever technique, can be found in most slow cooker books or websites.

If you are lucky enough to have an industrial sized slow cooker, this would be a good buy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2010 7:34 PM BST

Good Old-fashioned Puddings
Good Old-fashioned Puddings
by Sara Paston-Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Pudding fever..., 22 Feb. 2009
I think this is an excellent addition to my (large!)collection of cookbooks. There are a very wide variety of recipes included - most contain dessert storecupboard staples (e.g honey, syrup, sugar, flour), so I can now whip up several puddings without trudging to my local supermarket for ingredients. The recipes vary in complexity but I can always find something that can be produced within a convenient time frame for the occasion.

There are some favourites included (the 'icky sticky toffee pudding' is to die for!) - I agree that several recipes are available in other cookbooks but one must appreciate that no two recipes for the same pudding are ever exactly the same & anyway this book brings them conveniently under one book. There are also very rare 'vintage' puds' included that without this volume would be lost in time.

Worth every penny.

The Best of American Cookery
The Best of American Cookery

4.0 out of 5 stars Yummy..., 19 Nov. 2008
This book celebrate traditional American cookery. Recipes I had heard about but never tasted are here - Pecan / Pumpkin Pies, Meatloaf, Hush Puppies, Chowders, Subs, etc. All here. All taste great. The only reason I'm not giving this 5* is because there are some nice but irrelevant pencil illustrations but no photographs - nonetheless, most 'look' like the dishes I've seen on the telly/cinema! Well worth tracking down a copy of this book.

Pie
Pie
by Angela Boggiano

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Simon...., 18 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Pie (Hardcover)
I had never made pastry in my life before getting this book - in less than 3 months, I am now fairly confident with most single and double crust pies - sweet and savoury.

The most helpful factor from this book aiding my pie making was the early chapters on equipment and pastry recipes. The recipes are clearly laid out and state exactly the size and shape of the pie plate / container needed to cook with. This did mean having to spend a few extra pennies on 'tools for the job' but the final result makes this worthwhile.

Almost all the recipes are cleverly and beautifully illustrated. Love it - in my humble opinion, nearly faultless.

Page: 1 | 2