Profile for The Cloud Commission > Reviews

Content by The Cloud Comm...

The Cloud Commission (UK)

What Will We Be [+digital booklet]
What Will We Be [+digital booklet]
Price: 7.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Its a HARD thing to think, 14 Nov 2009
I'm a big fan of DB, have been for about 4 years, and love everything all the way back to the Black Babies EP and his best album in my opinion, Oh Me Oh My. Something happened when Cripple Crow came out. He got a band... that and the sound started getting cleaner. I know its all horse for courses but if you're drawn to DB for his beautifully sparse warbling vocals, oblique lyrical content and lo-fi recording quality, shop for earlier stuff. I know this album, and its predecessor, Smokey Rolls Down the Canyon will have their supporters... but not for me. I was once (or twice) quoted as saying "if I were to be left with no music save for that of one artist, leave me Devendra Banhart and his back catalogue". Now... I'll stick to my guns, but you can have this and the last album back thank you. Now, this may be a grower, I dunno yet... the last wasn't! Its a bit slick production, wishy washy song writing and falling back behind a band for my liking. Get back on your own, on your four track recorder and sing me some proper stories!

All in all, its OK... its 3 stars just cause its DB... but thats not what I expect from a Banhart! Go get the Dent May album instead. My pick of 2009

Take care my lovelies x