Profile for Father Ted > Reviews

Content by Father Ted

Father Ted (London, England)

Star Wars R2D2 Auto Dealer (50 pcs)
Star Wars R2D2 Auto Dealer (50 pcs)

1.0 out of 5 stars Simply doesn't work., 21 Feb. 2016
Doesn't work. Inevitably knocks down the dominoes that it has already laid every three to five dominoes. Tried on flat wooden floors, carpet, tables. No success. Imagine the frustration this causes a child.

Blitz Standard Plastic Beginner Smash Board - White
Blitz Standard Plastic Beginner Smash Board - White

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose., 21 Feb. 2016
Terrible. Terrible. Terrible.

My boy is a black-belt in Tae Kwon Do and experienced in breaking wooden boards at public demonstrations. He couldn't get the white beginners board to break, even with a kick.

One of the earlier reviews suggests that you need to wear it in or sand it down, but for £20, you shouldn't have to. There are many better alternatives around.

This one is a rip off.

Mega Bloks McLaren F1 Racer
Mega Bloks McLaren F1 Racer

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid at all costs., 1 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Mega Bloks McLaren F1 Racer (Toy)
Cards on the table - I did not purchase this toy from Amazon, but I feel compelled to spread the word on how poor this toy is.

I've never written an online review before, so that should help quantify the level of disappointment that I feel about MegaBloks.

My son is four and a half years old and a big F1 McLaren fan. Lewis Hamilton is his hero.

This product is rated for 8 year olds, but my boy has successfully built a number of 8 - 12 year old Lego sets with minimal assistance.

After the initial joy of the excellent metal presentation tin, the disappointment that followed was crushing.

First off, this is NOT Lego. There is a reason that Lego is more expensive - it is much better designed and made. The plastic quality of MegaBloks is CHEAP. Oh well, not the end of the world. My son is four - he won't care.

Next up, stickers. The stickers provided are placed on after construction and stretch across multiple bricks - so you can't take the model apart without spoiling the stickers. Poor design, but we can live with that - he'll probably want to play with this set as a F1 car and not as a "building set".

BUT the final problem is the show-stopper. The pieces are so badly moulded that they do not fit together!!! Watching my son struggle to work with some of the "Bloks", I realised that he would need more help than with Lego and put this down to the poor plastic quality. However, when we got to using the four wheel struts (a custom piece designed for this set) I found that even I couldn't put it together. A moulding defect on three of the pieces meant that they would not lie flush with the other bricks. The model COULD NOT BE COMPLETED. Not by a 4 year old, not by an 8 year old, not by a 32 year old man. Upon closer inspection, the moulding defects are obvious and clearly mean that they will not fit together properly as shown in the instructions.

I could probably correct the defects with a Stanley knife and a file, but there is a danger that I will break the pieces. I'm not going to bother - I'm going back to the store to ask for a refund.

My advice? Think building bricks, think Lego. More expensive, but better value. The only shame is that Lego have a number of Ferrari-endorsed F1 kits, but no McLaren.

Now I need to make this fiasco up to my son.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2009 7:38 AM BST