Profile for Mr. D. Byrne > Reviews

Content by Mr. D. Byrne

Mr. D. Byrne "darren6677" (uk)

Page: 1 | 2
The Open Door
The Open Door
Offered by MMT-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back, 4 Oct 2006
This review is from: The Open Door (Audio CD)
Being a fan of thier first album there was real concern for me that the second album 'The open door' would be a let down.

So I popped in the CD and hit play. Within a few seconds a big grin found its way onto my face.

Over the last 2 days I have sat through the album no less than 15 times. I wanted to really give it a good go before I entered my review.

My findings are I am happy to say that 'The Open Door' is a very good album. Close enough to the album 'Fallen' to keep most of thier old fans happy (most, not all) but differant enough to add new interest. The main differance seems to be that this album plays more to Amy Lees wonderful voice. To me this is a good thing.

It seems to lack a real killer classic singles track but since I am reviewing the album as a whole I have given it 5 stars. From start to finish the whole thing shines.Just a great album in its own right.Brill!!

Eyes Open
Eyes Open
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Snow is so COOL, 1 Aug 2006
This review is from: Eyes Open (Audio CD)
This is the first Snow Patrol I have ever put my ear to after a friend at work let me borrow it for the evening.

After the first listen I was hocked which suprised me as normaly I dont go for this kind of music. My wife loves Coldplay but to be honest I think they are total rubbish. So mush did I enjoy Eyes Open I whipped out to buy my own copy.

Now I have sat down with the album for almost a whole week (wow,a whole week) and after every play it just keeps growing on me more and more!

Stand out tracks for me are, All I have, Chasing cars (my Fav), Shuts your eyes and You could be happy.

Although I have to say all the other tracks are good apart from a track called '-' (honest thats what it is called).

I know it is still summer outside but open your eyes to snow patrol!

I have been lucky enough to get tickets to see snow patrol in Nov, cant wait to play in the snow!

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter (Xbox 360)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars good but not as good as call of duty 2, 27 Mar 2006
I was looking forward to this one for some time and although I was happish and was also left feeling a bit disapointed.
It looks very nice but it did not impress me as much as other xbox 360 games. To me it seemed like a very polished xbox game. Not a bad thing but this is a xbox 360 game.
It plays well also but there is nothing really new here. Contols take a bit to master but after a while you get the hang of it.
It does have one big weakness. The games AI at times is shocking. My team mates have a dangerous habit of running in front of me while I am firing at the enemy. Also during one of the protection missions the president we were protecting must of wanted to die as he repeatedly walks out from his safe hiding place straight at the enemy?????
So it is worth a look at but understand before you hand over your money this is not the classic we were told. Hire before you buy.
Graphics 8/10
Sound 8/10
Playabily 8/10
Lastability 7/10
Pros- Interesting storyline. You seem to end up caring if your men live or die. Solid gameplay. Better than averge graphics.
Cons- Poor AI. One minute the game plays easy and your flying and then you hit a rock hard part that takes hours to get through.GRrrrrr!!!

Fight Night Round 3 (Xbox 360)
Fight Night Round 3 (Xbox 360)
Offered by 6 Hungry Weasels

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best boxing games ever!, 23 Mar 2006
Normally I dont go for boxing games. They almost always turn into total 'button bashing' affair. Borndom then normally sets in soon after.
Then I tried Fight Night round 3 on Xbox 360.
For the first hour I was blown away by the graphics. The boxers look stunning! In fairness I dont know many boxers but I immediately could tell who was who. Now I would not say the boxers are photo real but it comes very close indeed.
After a few hours of play something else happened!
I found myself naturally picking my punches and intuitively working my way through each fight. Button bashing quickly lead to defeat!
After a couple of days I was really able to mix things up throwing all manner of combos. Again this all happened naturally and without the need for memorizing. I just knew my way round the ring.
The whole thing is easy to play but seems to take more time to master. As any beat em up fan knows this is key to any good fight game.
Now if you dont like beat em ups nor boxing you will not enjoy this game. It unlikly to change your mind if you have already decided you dont like this kind of game. So dont buy it and dont rate it.
Otherwise I can totally recommend this game to you. At last EA sports has done a game on the Xbox that doesnt seem lazy!
This perhaps one of the best boxing games ever, or at least a contender for the crown.

Serenity [DVD] [2005]
Serenity [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Nathan Fillion

5.0 out of 5 stars something new!, 28 Feb 2006
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Having never saw Firefly I did leave feeling that I had missed a bit of back story. However it was very enjoyable and the whole thing felt very fresh.

Having enjoyed the film I picked up and watched Firefly on DVD. This too was great viewing so when Serenity came out on DVD I sat down to watch the film for the second time. I have since fallen in love with this movie.

Perhaps because it is not like the other same old space epics some may not enjoy this film as much. So if you dont want to see something new maybe you could simply stick in and watch Star Wars for the 1000 time. I however am still a fan of Star Wars but longed something that did not copy all the other films. Something fresh.

I fear because of narrow views and the lack of a major star many will over look this very good movie.

Strong charactors, great action with more than just a few funny moments to break the tension. A film without a major star but is able to stand out from the 'same old' pack all the same.

Firefly - The Complete Series [DVD] [2003]
Firefly - The Complete Series [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Nathan Fillion

5.0 out of 5 stars What were they thinking?, 31 Jan 2006
I had never heard of 'Firefly' until I went to see the film 'Serenity'. I enjoyed the film and toke a chance and picked up the 'Firefly' series in the Jan sales.
This may go down in history as the greatest show ever to be cancelled. What were they thinking?
What makes this show almost magical are the great characters. Each of the nine key charactors are wonderfully written.
The whole show was put together with alot of love. It is offten funny and at times moving. It is rare to watch science fiction show that is not carried by its effects. The effects are there, and they are very good but so strong are the characters and the writting that the effects are only needed to serve the story.
My only hope is DVD sales of Serenity will force them to produce a second film or it may go down in history as the greatest film not to have a sequel.
Take a chance like me and buy firefly.

Sony Ericsson W800i - Vodafone - Pay As You Go Walkman Phone - Free Weekends Offer*

5.0 out of 5 stars Feature packed!, 24 Jan 2006
I have had my Sony W800i for a week now and having messed about with just about everthing on the phone I can report how happy Iam with it.
Firstly most people upgrade thier phones to show off to thier mates. Sad but true. Well everytime I get my new sony phone out I get real interest from those in the room. Two guys from work, who have older Ericssons, on seeing the W800i in action have rushed out to upgrade to one.
The phone looks good but if your not a fan of the colour orange maybe put you off a bit. The can spot the W800i from 100 feet! I think that it looks very striking!
Features wise it is very impressive. It seems to do just about everything and is the most feature packed phone I have ever owned. I have owed over 10 phones and each year I upgrade to a better one. Once more this is sad but true. Mp3 player is good although since I have an Ipod I will only use the Mp3 tracks on the phone as ring tones. The loud speaker is also good. The picture on the phone is impressive as is the phones camera. To be honest to cover all the phones features would go over the max 1000 words allowed.
You would have to be very fussy to turn your nose up to the Sony W800i.
Any cons? well the only thing I can think of is using the phones loud speaker to play music does end alot of the phones power. Maybe this should be expected.
It will be very interesting to see if a phone can better this one when it comes to next years upgrade!

Project Gotham Racing 3 (Xbox 360)
Project Gotham Racing 3 (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars race of your life, 13 Jan 2006
Project Gotham racing 3 really does show you what is possible on a next generation machine.
Graphics are very impressive. To be honest while you are playing you dont really take in the graphics and it is not until you watch someone else play you see how amazing everything is. The in car view is special as is the night stages.I have crashed more than once due to watching the reflection of passing buildings or lights flowing across the windscreen. The frame rate keeps things moving without any hint of slow down.
Handling is tight with enough differance between car handling. There is plenty of racing machines to choose between. Classic race cars to the latest 4 wheel rockets can be used.
This game set on easy is very easy but things start to get interesting while you go after silver medals. Set it to hardcore and you will have to have the race of your life even to come in the top 3! Getting silver or higher in all the races will take ages due to challenge level and the high number of races/challenges. So this game is big.
Add to this on line racing and you got yourself a classic race game worth the price tag and 5 stars.

Quake 4 (Xbox 360)
Quake 4 (Xbox 360)
Offered by GAMES CONSOLES BARGAIN

4.0 out of 5 stars Rock hard, 10 Jan 2006
This review is from: Quake 4 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
If you like first person shooters and have a Xbox 360 you will be in a very good mood. The 360 already has some very good first person shooters and this game is one of them.
Now some reviews have said that the graphics runs off the same engine as Doom 3. Now I have not played Doom 3 so to me the graphics looked fresh. The lighting effects are very impressive and if your playing alone in the dark there is a real feeling of suspense. You feel an urgent need to use your torch to search for hidden foes in the dark. Now and then something jumps out on you!! Everything else looks very good graphics wise.
The guns are the games second strenth. The weapons are very satisfying and each fire arm has strenths and weaknesses to concider before use. This adds a small amount of thought to proceedings.
Enemy AI is solid. Foes take cover and work together to over power you. This makes this first person shooter perhaps the hardest to date. You cant blast and hope as you can in other shooters. Taking cover and picking off enemys becomes a useful skill.
The only real weakness I can think of is that some of the levels look very much like each other.That and the vehicle sections, although good, dont stand up as well as other parts of the game.
So not perfect but a very good game all the same!

Amped 3 (Xbox 360)
Amped 3 (Xbox 360)

4.0 out of 5 stars ice cool, 3 Jan 2006
This review is from: Amped 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I really enjoy this game. I suppose this makes a nice change from the over release titles. You can just chill out while riding down vast snow covered mountains.
Firstly it goods very good with a real feeling of size. The mountains are very very big and riding top to bottom can take almost 10 minutes. Everything looks and runs very smoothly.
Sound wise there is an impressive amount of music tracks to try your ear to. Most of these tracks are alright and after a while start to grow on you.
Game play is kept simple. This could be a problem if you are after something deeper. Otherwisw the control system gives immediate access to all the tricks from the start.
The game is packed with ideas and nice touches. The stand out thing for me is the short films between key sections of the game which are very funny. This makes progressing the game more interesting and worth your time.
The game is big. I was able to finish two Xbox 360 games within a week but after almost three weeks I have only unlocked about half the courses.
The only con I can think of is the difficulty curve jumps about a bit. Some missions seem very easy, the next mission almost impossible and then very easy once more.
This game is not ground breaking but it is fun to play. Whats more important than that?

Page: 1 | 2