Profile for T. Baker > Reviews

Content by T. Baker

T. Baker (Kent, England.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Artist [DVD]
The Artist [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jean Dujardin
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars YES, I'D LIKE A REFUND, PLEASE., 2 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Artist [DVD] (DVD)
If this is considered best movie of 2012 by the Oscar judges, I'd hate to see the others. The "story," if you can call it that, could have been told in about 10 minutes - & far more entertainingly.

I found the 96 minute running-time quite interminable &, in reply to a question posed by the main character, George Valentin, to a patron of one of his movies - "Yes, I'd like a refund, please."

It's an indication of how low the film industry has sunk when this mediocrity can win an Oscar. If you don't believe me, just sit down & watch Charlie Chaplin's CITY LIGHTS immediately after viewing this & you'll see what I mean. Now, that's what I call a masterpiece!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2014 11:02 PM BST

Numatic HVR200A Henry A1 Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner plus Kit A1, Red/Black
Numatic HVR200A Henry A1 Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner plus Kit A1, Red/Black
Offered by Ideal 365 Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTING., 19 May 2012
After reading the overwhelmingly favourable reviews of this product, I was expecting something fantastic but am left disappointed. On the positive side, it picks up reasonably well, but this is balanced by the fact that: a) it is difficult to push around on some (most, in fact) carpets, & b) the attachments - on my machine, at least - are incredibly difficult to change. In fact, I had to put vaseline on to make it easier. Elderly people or those with weak wrists would find it nigh impossible, I reckon. So, sadly, only 2 stars.

Strangeland
Strangeland

5.0 out of 5 stars MORE TUNES ONLY THEY KNOW., 16 May 2012
This review is from: Strangeland (Audio CD)
How do they do it? This group never ceases to amaze me! They're continually dismissed as a 'poor man's' U2, Snow Patrol or Coldplay (even by Amazon's 'official' reviewers on this page) but those acts don't move or excite me the way Keane do & I've a feeling that, 50 years down the line, when the aforementioned are long forgotten, Keane's magical music will live on.

The album has been described as a 'return to roots' or 'playing safe.' Perhaps. There is certainly no wholesale change in their trademark sound - just a pared down production & greater emphasis on melody. I particularly like THE STARTING LINE (which could serve as an Olympic anthem!), BLACK RAIN, DISCONNECTED & IN YOUR OWN TIME but there are no weak tracks among the twelve.

How long can they maintain these standards? Who knows? The lyrics to the final track, SEA FOG, sound rather ominous to me but I would NEVER write off this group - they're just too special, talented - & full of surprises - for that.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2012 6:28 PM BST

The Gilded Palace Of Sin
The Gilded Palace Of Sin

3.0 out of 5 stars FLAWED MASTERPIECE., 10 May 2012
Impressive material. Legendary musicians. Great sleeve. It should have been a masterpiece...but it isn't. If you doubt this, just play it through & then play Chris Hillman's (admittedly pure bluegrass) MORNING SKY, issued 13 years later & light years ahead in sound quality, style & self-assurance.

To me, the main failings are: undisciplined playing, lack of a strong, commanding vocalist & a peculiar mix, which has Gram Parsons' vocals coming through the left speaker, Chris Hillman's through the right & the band in between at TWICE (truly) the volume. Not very pleasing to the ear.

Gram Parsons was undoubtedly a major, influential figure in the evolution of country-rock but I believe that influence seaped through gradually over a number of years following his death rather than in a blaze of glory during his lifetime. Just listen to Bernie Leadon's exquisite tribute, 'My man' from the Eagles' ON THE BORDER album or Chris Hillman's 'Hickory wind' from the aforementioned MORNING SKY.

Ultimately, I think the group, while full of youthful enthuiasm & bravado, were just too inexperienced in playing country (as opposed to rock) music to deliver the goods here (though better versions of some of these songs can be heard on the later "live" album, LAST OF THE RED HOT BURRITOS.

Mens 1 Pair Magic Boxer Shorts In Union Jack Pattern
Mens 1 Pair Magic Boxer Shorts In Union Jack Pattern
Offered by SockShop

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID THIS PRODUCT!, 2 May 2012
This item arrived in a case the size of a pack of cards. You then have to soak them in water & leave them to dry. OK, fair enough, I don't mind working a little if the product is worth it. The problem is, after they've dried, you discover they are skimpy in the extreme, not the substantial, starchy material the picture would seem to indicate. In addition, they have no pockets or fly - &, worst of all, they finish 6 inches above the knee, not 1 or 2 as I prefer (& again, as the picture indicates).

Finally, my request for a refund was totally ignored by the seller & I would advise any potential buyer: AVOID THIS PRODUCT!

Lost Without Your Love
Lost Without Your Love

5.0 out of 5 stars MUSICAL THOROUGH-BREADS., 26 April 2012
This review is from: Lost Without Your Love (Audio CD)
This, Bread's swansong, must be their most under-rated album. Recorded 4 years after their previous effort (Guitar Man) & heralding a reunion that fizzled out immediately after its release, it draws a worthy close to a brief but illustrious career.

I confess I haven't played it as much as their other albums, which is perhaps why it sounds so fresh today. As usual, David Gates' songs have the edge over Griffin & Royer's, although, as with their self-titled debut where 'The last time' stood out, the latter provide the (to me) highlight in 'Today's the first day' (just dig those wild, 'Bee Gee' falsettos!)

There's not a lot else to say, really. If you enjoyed the group's other albums, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with this, which is the recipe as before but with 11 tracks, as opposed to the 12 on each of their other albums. Likewise, there are no bonus tracks or sleeve notes. With this group, you get nothing but pure quality - in short, they were musical thorough-breads.

Everybody's Reaching Out For Someone
Everybody's Reaching Out For Someone

5.0 out of 5 stars MUSICAL BLISS., 12 April 2012
If you feel assailed by noise in the mediocrity of modern life, then I would urge you to give this CD a listen. Bluegrass seems to be the one genre that is holding up to such an onslaught, although, of course, this album is, as I write, 19 years old. However, the group, as far as I know, are still active, though whether they're making albums as good as this, I can't say (not being a die-hard bluegrass fan). I doubt it, somehow, as this is quite simply MUSICAL BLISS.

The standout track for me is 'Backroads,' written by group member Sydney Cox, a very talented songwriter. I've been listening to music - mainly rock - for over 50 years, now, & cannot remember ever feeling compelled to play a track over & over again as I have this one, which seems to sum up exactly how I feel, somehow. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

28 Big Ones
28 Big Ones
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars AUTHENTIC BLUEGRASS., 5 Mar. 2012
This review is from: 28 Big Ones (Audio CD)
This is bluegrass music as it should be played - with simple sincerity. Unfortunately, there's little information on the sleeve, apart from some brief notes by Patsy Stoneman Murphy but I believe the music dates from the early 60's onwards (though the family has been recording since the 1920's). Full track listing:-
1. 100 years ago
2. Life's railway to Heaven
3. When the snowflakes fall again
4. Turn me loose
5. In the sweet bye & bye
6. Orange blossom breakdown (Instr.)
7. Family life
8. Little Susie
9. Somebody's waiting for me
10. On the banks of the Wabash
11. That pal of mine
12. Snow deer
13. Springtime in the mountains
14. Lee Highway blues (Instr.)
15. Going home
16. Nobody's darling but mine
17. When the roses bloom again
18. I want to wander
19. Lonesome banjo (Instr.)
20. Guilty
25. The heroes of Bataan
26. Out of school
27. Girl from Galak
28. Sinking of the Titanic

You may hear slicker, sharper & more refined bluegrass but none so authentic & I recommend this to all fans of the genre.

This Is My Life: The Greatest Hits
This Is My Life: The Greatest Hits

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 GROUSES., 28 Feb. 2012
1. Not ALL titles on the CD are the original recordings. At least one - "Kiss me honey honey kiss me" - is a re-recording, from 1967, in this case (& inferior).

2. More tracks could have been included. A 68-minute running time is not great - &, let's face it, there should be no shortage of choice! ("Till," for one).

3. No sleeve notes.

Otherwise, a good compilation.

15 Minutes
15 Minutes
Offered by marvelio-uk

2.0 out of 5 stars AN HONEST REVIEW., 25 Feb. 2012
This review is from: 15 Minutes (Audio CD)
It's one thing to be loyal, another to be honest - & I wonder which the previous (19) reviewers are. I don't think they're both, somehow...

Let me state immediately that I am a big fan of Nik's music, rating 'Wouldn't it be good' & the album from which it came, 'Human Racing' among the all-time greats. However, remarks such as, "pure genius," "outstanding" & "Nik's best work yet" in relation to this album just don't sit with reality.

Having listened carefully to the album, I would say his voice is in fine shape & the overall sound is very pleasing, but the lyrics lack the wit & incisiveness of his best work (& at his best, he was, simply, THE best), while the tunes don't really grab you.

It may be that Nik will regain his former glory - I sincerely hope & pray so - but not with this particular album. As for those who wrote the ecstatic reviews, I would urge you to try & show a little more objectivity in future - if only for the sake of we poor buyers tempted by so much supposedly superlative product!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 4, 2012 2:32 PM BST