Profile for T. Baker > Reviews

Content by T. Baker

T. Baker (Kent, England.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
4 LED LIGHT UP WINE GLASSES WITH BATTERIES CONSTANT, FLASHING AND COLOUR CHANGE MODES - REQUIRES 3 X AG13 BATTERIES (INCLUDED)

4.0 out of 5 stars PERSEVERE BEFORE DISCARDING!, 20 Dec 2013
When I first opened the (well-padded) packaging containing these (plastic) glasses, I was disappointed to find only one of the 4 items worked properly. However, I persevered, &, with a little 'coaxing,' two more began functioning OK. Then, after reading other reviews, I replaced the batteries of the fourth, &, hey presto, that, too, now works. Not ideal, of course, but at least it has saved the bother of returning items/requesting a refund, etc. & I would urge other buyers who perhaps have endured similar experiences to myself to do likewise.

The Best of Keane - Deluxe Editon
The Best of Keane - Deluxe Editon
Price: 15.99

3.0 out of 5 stars MILDLY DISAPPOINTING., 19 Nov 2013
This group (alone among its contemporaries) inspires me. They set such incredibly high standards in their music, it's mildly disappointing to find the packaging of this 10th anniversary dvd/double-cd de-luxe issue failing to match up to the musical content. Despite a lavishly produced - & illustrated - 100-page booklet, the set contains:-

- NO record release dates,
- NO track timings,
- NO indication of which B sides backed which singles,
- NO lyric-sheets (missed not so much for the album tracks - already included on original releases - as B sides.

Of course, the music (even the B's) is utterly compelling & worth the purchase price alone. For someone like myself who never bought the singles (& have never seen the band "live"), it's rather like hearing a whole new album of Keane material, although the influence of other, better-known tracks can occasionally be detected, as on:-

Fly to me (Your eyes open),
Let it slide (Lovers are losing/Again & again),
Maybe I can change (Try again),
Myth (Spiralling),
Difficult child (Broken Toy).

The two new tracks on CD1 - Higher than the sun & Won't be broken - are OK, though vaguely reminiscent of other songs from 'Strangeland.' The DVD sees the band perform before a select group of enthusiasts, and includes some interesting, amusing 'between-songs' banter.

So far, Keane have hardly put a foot wrong in a unique, illustrious career (and I cannot agree with the reviewers who rate 'Perfect Symmetry' below the group's other output - to me, all four albums sound pretty even, while showing definite - and welcome - musical & lyrical development). Will the next 10 years be as inventive & exciting? It hardly seems likely, but NEVER write off this band - they're blessed with that rarest of gifts: the ability to pull something special & magical out of the hat whenever called upon to do so, seemingly at will.

Sony TCM-939/B Compact Cassette Voice Recorder
Sony TCM-939/B Compact Cassette Voice Recorder
Price: 28.99

3.0 out of 5 stars REASONABLE VALUE., 1 Dec 2012
Although I own a good-quality digital "studio-in-a-box," I required something comparable for recording onto cassette tapes. At this price, I was never likely to get it - & so it proved.

Good points: lightness, compact-ness & ease of operation. Flaws: mediocre sound quality. If Sony ever produce a more upmarket model than this, I would certainly be interested, but the sound would need to improve considerably.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2013 10:03 AM GMT

This Is the Army [DVD] [1943] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
This Is the Army [DVD] [1943] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ George Murphy
Offered by RAREWAVES USA
Price: 1.49

1.0 out of 5 stars GREAT FILM, TERRIBLE PRINT., 25 Aug 2012
As I write this review, there are 3 other reviews displayed on Amazon, only one of which mentions the poor quality print, so I feel I must redress the balance & agree with the one who complained the film is virtually unwatchable. I would give the picture quality 5 out of 10 & the sound quality 1 out of 10 (even with the volume full up on my DVD player, it was barely audible!) Shame, as it's a great movie, with superb Irving Berlin songs & a unique, rousing period atmosphere.

Who's on First?: Abbott and Costello
Who's on First?: Abbott and Costello
by Richard J. Anobile

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, BUT NOT INFORMATIVE., 4 Aug 2012
This book contains blown-up movie stills & word-for-word reproductions of their routines - & nothing more. If you're interested in the duo's background, off-screen relationship, what motivated them, etc., you'll need to look elsewhere.

Mt. Desolation
Mt. Desolation
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 3.50

5.0 out of 5 stars COUNTRY? UNSURE. ENJOYABLE? YES!, 18 Jun 2012
This review is from: Mt. Desolation (Audio CD)
First of all, let me state categorically that I regard Tim Rice-Oxley as a living, breathing, giant of a musical genius who has hardly put a foot wrong in his (so far) illustrious carreer. To me, quite simply, Keane WALK ON WATER. I also, strangely enough, happen to like country music, so was curious about this venture.

It normally takes a few spins for me to 'digest' Keane's special concoctions, so I held back writing this review to allow the T.R.O. 'magic' to work its way into my consciousness and, sure enough, eventually, several distinctive tracks began to emerge: 'Bitter pill' (an obvious highlight), 'Coming home,' 'Another night on my side' (reminiscent of 'Rumours'-era Fleetwood Mac) & the glorious 'Annie Ford' (which falls somewhere between 'Sovereign Light Cafe' & 'Me & Bobbie McGee' - with a dash of 'Maggie May'). This record is most enjoyable, though not sure if it's really country. (To me, the Cox Family performing 'Backroads' is REAL country & hits emotional spots other genres can't reach). I expected it to be more acoustic (which only the bonus track is) & don't like the drumming - a common complaint (compare with the aforementioned Fleetwood Mac album), though the more I listen the more I get used to the sound. Strangely, they remind me at times of (sorry to go back so far) Buffalo Springfield, if anyone remembers them, with vocal shades of both Steve Stills & - especially on 'Bitter pill' (which I think features Tim) - Neil Young. The opening track, 'Departure,' also reminds me of 'Go & say goodbye,' the opener on B. Springfield's debut album (a mere 43 years ago!).

Now, some quibbles:
1. No writer's credits.
2. No lyric-sheet.
3. No sleeve mention of the bonus acoustic number which mysteriously appears two minutes after final track.

The Artist [DVD]
The Artist [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jean Dujardin
Price: 5.63

1.0 out of 5 stars YES, I'D LIKE A REFUND, PLEASE., 2 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Artist [DVD] (DVD)
If this is considered best movie of 2012 by the Oscar judges, I'd hate to see the others. The "story," if you can call it that, could have been told in about 10 minutes - & far more entertainingly.

I found the 96 minute running-time quite interminable &, in reply to a question posed by the main character, George Valentin, to a patron of one of his movies - "Yes, I'd like a refund, please."

It's an indication of how low the film industry has sunk when this mediocrity can win an Oscar. If you don't believe me, just sit down & watch Charlie Chaplin's CITY LIGHTS immediately after viewing this & you'll see what I mean. Now, that's what I call a masterpiece!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2014 11:02 PM BST

Numatic HVR200A Henry A1 Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner plus Kit A1, Red/Black
Numatic HVR200A Henry A1 Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner plus Kit A1, Red/Black
Price: 94.98

2.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTING., 19 May 2012
After reading the overwhelmingly favourable reviews of this product, I was expecting something fantastic but am left disappointed. On the positive side, it picks up reasonably well, but this is balanced by the fact that: a) it is difficult to push around on some (most, in fact) carpets, & b) the attachments - on my machine, at least - are incredibly difficult to change. In fact, I had to put vaseline on to make it easier. Elderly people or those with weak wrists would find it nigh impossible, I reckon. So, sadly, only 2 stars.

Strangeland
Strangeland
Offered by davehopetrading
Price: 5.98

5.0 out of 5 stars MORE TUNES ONLY THEY KNOW., 16 May 2012
This review is from: Strangeland (Audio CD)
How do they do it? This group never ceases to amaze me! They're continually dismissed as a 'poor man's' U2, Snow Patrol or Coldplay (even by Amazon's 'official' reviewers on this page) but those acts don't move or excite me the way Keane do & I've a feeling that, 50 years down the line, when the aforementioned are long forgotten, Keane's magical music will live on.

The album has been described as a 'return to roots' or 'playing safe.' Perhaps. There is certainly no wholesale change in their trademark sound - just a pared down production & greater emphasis on melody. I particularly like THE STARTING LINE (which could serve as an Olympic anthem!), BLACK RAIN, DISCONNECTED & IN YOUR OWN TIME but there are no weak tracks among the twelve.

How long can they maintain these standards? Who knows? The lyrics to the final track, SEA FOG, sound rather ominous to me but I would NEVER write off this group - they're just too special, talented - & full of surprises - for that.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2012 6:28 PM BST

The Gilded Palace Of Sin
The Gilded Palace Of Sin
Price: 11.08

3.0 out of 5 stars FLAWED MASTERPIECE., 10 May 2012
Impressive material. Legendary musicians. Great sleeve. It should have been a masterpiece...but it isn't. If you doubt this, just play it through & then play Chris Hillman's (admittedly pure bluegrass) MORNING SKY, issued 13 years later & light years ahead in sound quality, style & self-assurance.

To me, the main failings are: undisciplined playing, lack of a strong, commanding vocalist & a peculiar mix, which has Gram Parsons' vocals coming through the left speaker, Chris Hillman's through the right & the band in between at TWICE (truly) the volume. Not very pleasing to the ear.

Gram Parsons was undoubtedly a major, influential figure in the evolution of country-rock but I believe that influence seaped through gradually over a number of years following his death rather than in a blaze of glory during his lifetime. Just listen to Bernie Leadon's exquisite tribute, 'My man' from the Eagles' ON THE BORDER album or Chris Hillman's 'Hickory wind' from the aforementioned MORNING SKY.

Ultimately, I think the group, while full of youthful enthuiasm & bravado, were just too inexperienced in playing country (as opposed to rock) music to deliver the goods here (though better versions of some of these songs can be heard on the later "live" album, LAST OF THE RED HOT BURRITOS.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6