Profile for Leona Harries > Reviews

Notes from an Exhibition
Notes from an Exhibition
by Patrick Gale

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, clever and intriguingly done, 17 Oct. 2008
This is a great read. I really loved the way the paintings in the exhibition are each linked to the artist's life and reflect the ups and downs of her mental health, while the story is told alongside. I was, however, a bit surprised by the ending which left me a mite unfulfilled. Worth the read all the same though. Pretty brilliant.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2013 9:48 PM BST

Maps of My Life
Maps of My Life
by Guy Browning

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh-aloud memories of a 60s and 70s family life., 4 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Maps of My Life (Hardcover)
I bought this just a couple of days ago in my local bookshop as a present for my brother on the strength of the review in Arena magazine but I started to read it and, although it is not my usual type of reading matter, I am keeping the original copy. Hence I'm here ordering another for my brother.
Opening the book for a quick peek, I laughed aloud at the first page which was a pretty impressive start. Browning, like me, was a second child and says:
"I wasn't the first child. It's difficult to write that and somehow not feel that you've failed in something important." ...... "Second children are like second marriages: you know that in general they're worth having but you've also learned from your first how messy and unpleasant they can be."
The characters in this book are Browning's parents and siblings, and the whole book is a humorous and witty take on his childhood, the places his family lived and the trips and holidays they made. Although a different location (in fact many including the US, Italy, France and Spain as well as the UK) and a different era (Browning was born in the 1960s), his good-natured humour and obvious affection for his family reminds me of the Gerald Durrell's reflections on his early life.
Absolutely brilliant!

Being Elizabeth Bennet: Create Your Own Jane Austen Adventure
Being Elizabeth Bennet: Create Your Own Jane Austen Adventure
by Emma Campbell Webster

5.0 out of 5 stars What a brilliant idea! Great fun., 4 Oct. 2008
I feel moved to write this review having just read the 1 star comments.
I think this is a fantastic idea and a brilliant idea. I have loved following different paths through Jane Austen's novels and wondering what might have happened had Elizabeth Bennett chosen a different route.
The idea of the reader making narrative choices of this kind in an adult book, and through a literary landscape so well-known to many, is inspirational. I think this book is a lot of fun and I'll be buying it for all my girl-friends for Christmas.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2008 7:19 PM BST