Profile for Ruth W > Reviews

Content by Ruth W

Ruth W "Fernsong" (Haute-Vienne, France)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Dolphins Spy in the Pod [DVD]
Dolphins Spy in the Pod [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 25 May 2014
After watching this series on TV, I knew who else would love it but wouldn't have had the chance to see it!
My Australian-dwelling daughter-in-law and grandaughter both LOVE dolphins and I knew this DVD would be very welcome in their household. I wasn't wrong...

Wooden Bead Bracelets Set of 5 for Children
Wooden Bead Bracelets Set of 5 for Children
Offered by libbyshouse

5.0 out of 5 stars My grandaughters loved them!, 25 May 2014
I bought a set each in March 2014 for my grandaughters, aged 3 and 4. Along with other little trinkets given to them in a personalised pouch, they loved the elasticated bracelets and, to my surprise, immediately put some of them round their ankles as well as their wrists! (Needless to say, I was pleased I'd bought them the pack of five!)
The bracelets seemed strong, the colours were bright and cheerful and I liked the idea of the little wooden beads and shapes - perhaps more environmentally friendly than plastic? Or maybe I'm just a born-again hippy...
In my opinion, good quality and value for money.

Opteka CSLR-60 Neoprene Stretchy Wrap Case for SLR Camera with Short to Mid-range Zoom Lens

5.0 out of 5 stars Not attractive, but very functional!, 25 May 2014
Initially, when I bought this wrap case in March 2014, I found it a very tight fit for my Canon EOS 40D camera and EFS 15-85mm lens. The length of the case is fine, ie. from back of camera to front of lens, but getting the case across the girth of the camera was a bit of a mission to begin with. However, after a five-week sojourn to Australia and countless 'offs-and-ons' when the grandchildren decided they wanted to be photogenic or the odd kanga/koala/wallaby/kookaburra bounded into view, I am now very pleased with it!
The case is strong and durable, whilst light enough to squash down into the bottom of my bag when not required. The stitching seems extremely tough and the whole thing has cushioned my precious camera from some potentially damaging knocks since I've been using it. I agree that, although the attachment strap seems like a good idea, the whole thing flaps about a bit when it's attached to a camera/backpack/handbag strap. Doesn't look that great, either...!
Unlike most other reviewers, I did not reverse it. I'm not proud - if it looks like I have a pair of 1970s underpants/ 14 century codpiece strapped round my neck, then so be it!
All in all, a good buy and great value, in my opinion.

Hoya 58mm Pro-1 Digital Circular Polarizing Filter
Hoya 58mm Pro-1 Digital Circular Polarizing Filter

4.0 out of 5 stars A great piece of kit!, 21 Aug 2012
The only reason I've given this filter four stars rather than five is because it arrived with no written advice or instructions.
I've never used a filter before, so had no idea how to fit it and how the 'digital' part of it works! I soon learned how to fit it and for those of you, like me, who don't have filter know-how, it's important to screw the lower part of the filter onto the end of the lens. Hold the filter so that the writing on the side is the right way up and then gently screw the filter into position on the end of your lens, making sure that you are holding (and screwing) the lower edge of the filter.
As for the 'digital' part, any advice on that would be most gratefully received! I've noticed that as I turn the filter round, there are areas where the polarising effect is not as dark - perhaps that has something to do with it? Either way, I've taken some fabulous shots with it since I bought it just a couple of weeks ago. It certainly cuts down the glare when you have no option but to shoot landscapes on hot and cloudless summer days!
It comes in a good, solid, plastic container that closes snugly, so I have no worries about the filter falling out and being scratched in my camera bag.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 10, 2014 12:30 AM GMT

RHA MA350 Aluminium Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones - 3 year warranty
RHA MA350 Aluminium Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones - 3 year warranty
Offered by R H A

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very comfortable!, 24 Jan 2012
I'm certainly no expert on ear buds or phones, but I had these in my ears for the best part of a 20-hour flght and never felt any discomfort. In fact, I heard all of my favourite songs in a totally new dimension, with little musical nuances I'd never heard before whilst listening on radio and CD. They also cut the irritating aircraft engine drone almost completely and I actually managed to get some rest!
I can't believe how clear, relaxing and hypnotic music can be with these little beauties!

Black Waterproof Camera Quick Access Bag/Case,Backpack Rucksack with Rain Cover For SLR Kit,Lens and General Gear for Canon EOS 100D 550D 600D 650D,700D 1200D,1100D,70D 60D,50D,40D,7D,6D,5D,SX50,SX500, Nikon P520,D7100,D7000,D5200,D5100,D5300,D3300,D3200,L820,FUJI FinePix S4800,S4500,HS50 HS30 SL1000 X-S1,OLYMPUS SP800,E30,E3,E5,Pentax K5,K30,K50,K500,Panasonic FZ72 FZ62 FZ200, Sony Alpha HX-300 A58,A65,A77,A99 DSLR.
Offered by BV-electronics

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good sling-shot backpack, 24 Jan 2012
I think that the manufacturer should take the word 'rucksack' out of the descriptive title of this bag. It was all my fault for not checking properly, but I assumed by the word 'rucksack' that I would be receiving a backpack with two shoulder straps. Not so. And to make matters worse, it can only fit over the left shoulder - not my shoulder of choice!
It's also not as roomy as I thought it would be. I don't have much in the way of gear, but what I do have fills the bag.
Having said that, it's very well-made, sturdy and with lots of padding and good strong zips.

Canon CUPEB Eyecup (except EOS 3/5/ 30/50/ 50E/ IX/IX7)
Canon CUPEB Eyecup (except EOS 3/5/ 30/50/ 50E/ IX/IX7)

5.0 out of 5 stars An eyecup is an eyecup is an eyecup..., 24 Jan 2012
Firstly, thanks to the three previous reviewers, who cleared up the questions I had about this item.
Yes, it fits my Canon EOS 40D, yes, it's genuine Canon and yes, the packaging is now appropriate for the size of the item! And yes, it's a great price!
A tip: the eyecup seems to slide off my camera with ease, so I laid a couple of tiny pieces of blue-tack on either side of the view finder before sliding the eyecup on. So far, so good! ;-)

D for Diamond Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Adjustable Bangle in Silver
D for Diamond Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Adjustable Bangle in Silver
Offered by BabyBeyondUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Very stylish!, 24 Jan 2012
Only one year old and she's already a diamond girl....!
My two immediate impressions when I opened the package were thus;
It doesn't need the music box, as it plays a little fast (at first) and a bit tinny.
I wish it didn't have 'Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star' engraved all around it, as it would have been a good idea to have my grand daughter's name and a short message engraved round it.
All that aside, it's just GORGEOUS and worth every penny! It's beautifully packaged round a small, pink cushion inside the beautiful mauve box. It's on it's way now to my grand daughter for her first birthday and I only wish I'd had it engraved - it would have to have been on the inside though!
There you go Amazon - another niche! A personalised engraving service!

Naughty Bus
Naughty Bus
by Jan Oke

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this book!, 24 Jan 2012
This review is from: Naughty Bus (Paperback)
A good, solid paperback book which I had the pleasure of reading to my two grandsons on my last visit Downunder!
I bought the little red bus as well so that they could vroooom! vroooom! vroooom! with that whilst listening to the story. And the story itself... it's so real and down-to-earth! In fact I was worried that the boys might drive their own little red bus through their baked beans....! Maybe they have!

LeapFrog LeapReader Learn to Read Phonics Book Set 1: Short Vowels (Works with Tag)
Offered by Buy-For-Less-Online

4.0 out of 5 stars For kids of all ages!, 16 Jun 2011
This Leapfrog business is all new to me and I'd already bought one of the Leapfrog books before realising it needed the tag pen to 'make it come alive'. And how! I just HAD to connect to Leapfrog, open an account and download the Tractor Tipping audio so that I could play with it! And I'm on the very wrong side of 50 years old! I love it and I hope my soon-to-be 3 year old grandson will too! I think he'll need his Mum and Dad's help with it all to begin with, but should get the hang of it in no time.
I'm DEFINITELY going to buy the junior version for his little brother's 2nd birthday!
The only thing I'm not sure about is how durable the pen will prove to be. It seems a bit plasticky, but time will tell and this product would have received 5 stars from me if I could rate the pen as being virtually child-proof!
All in all though, an excellent fun and educational buy!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2013 6:23 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3