Profile for stargemmer > Reviews

Content by stargemmer

stargemmer "stargemmer" (Northumberland UK)

Ghosts on the Underground
Ghosts on the Underground
Dvd ~ Paul McGann
Offered by Polar Media
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just about the best ghost documentary ever made, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: Ghosts on the Underground (DVD)
IMO just about the best ghost documentary ever made. Professionally directed, produced, excellent choice of music, really conveys the atmosphere of the places... but most of all with very credible reports and stories from highly respectable witnesses, and the way they match up and vindicate each other's experiences despite never even meeting.. Just a fantastic programme. So glad it is out on DVD now, saw it many years ago on TV and it's only been viewable on the net til now, went to buy it as soon as I saw this was out.

Dogs & Puppies: In Acrylics (Ready to Paint)
Dogs & Puppies: In Acrylics (Ready to Paint)
by Paul Apps
Price: 6.65

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - gets you to paint using traced images!, 10 Jan 2014
Very disappointed when I got this book this morning, I thought it would be an assistance to create genuine art. It has some good tips and techniques, but I couldn't believe it when I saw it as a whole set of tracing paper images in the front so you can basically cheat around the drawing, making it a few steps away from painting by numbers, in my opinion.

If this is advice for beginners based on how Paul Apps does his own art (tracing off other images or photos) then I haven't much regard for his paintings.

House Of Marbles Wooden Recorder
House Of Marbles Wooden Recorder

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great little wooden recorder, 19 Dec 2013
Bought this already having several recorders. I actually prefer it over some of the more costly ones. It's a descant, but the whole instrument is shorter. It's wooden, hand carved and very attractive. It has a sort of rustic, raspy sound that some may say is inferior, but personally I much prefer it, it sounds more authentic and original than the school plastic/resin ones. Really like it, lots of character. Can't get a cheaper wooden one to my knowledge!

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Kong Classic chewed in half in under 10 minutes by small dog!, 8 Aug 2011
I have a 9KG Cairn Terrier. Per the packaging by Kong, the Kong Classic Small is supposed to be ideal for her size. It arrived this morning and I gave it to her, she loved it! She played with it for less than 10 minutes and I have had to take it off her - she has chewed the toy in half and the top end is split with lacerations. It seems the top end just came clean off in one split.

She's not a heavy "power" chewer, and is well past her chewy puppy stage at 3 1/2 years old. They do say on the leaflet their Kong toys are not guaranteed as indestructable and to go a size higher if the dog destroys it, but I think this time of 10 minutes for a small dog to destroy is just showing a sub-standard item that isn't suited for purpose. This definitely isn't a toy I would recommend for any dog!!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dog toy provides hours of entertainment for our dog, 5 Aug 2011
Someone bought one of these for my Cairn Terrier and she loves it. Spends lots of time playing with it, even throwing it down the stairs for herself to chase & retrieve. You just need the right treats, but the aperture is adjustable for different sized treats.

The good thing about this particular treat ball is there are no ridges or features the dog can chew, whereas some other makes have such ridges, so the dogs have destroyed them after a short while; not good either if they will swallow the plastic.

This ball is made of tougher plastic than the other makes, so it has been chew resistant for our dog.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2012 3:24 PM BST

Victorinox Black Leather Pouch (2-4 Layer)
Victorinox Black Leather Pouch (2-4 Layer)
Price: 11.19

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 11 Mar 2010
I bought this for my husband for his Swiss Army Knife. All is fine and dandy except the velcro fastener. He finds it hard to use & open easily when needed, and virtually has to rip off the velcro to open the wallet. He has already lost one knife in the past, so not good. I would recommend anyone else buying a pouch with a press-stud popper style fastener.

RAC 200 GPS Unit (UK & Ireland)
RAC 200 GPS Unit (UK & Ireland)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great overall, 11 Mar 2010
I have had this satnav for a couple of years, and used it all day long to find properties in my job, as well as to travel long distance. I also have friends who have other more well known types of satnav and have observed the problems they have experienced which I have not.
It is an excellent satnav in many ways. The first and I think a very key advantage is the device to hold this to your windscreen is very strong, your satnav will not fall off as other brands do! This is a major issue, if you have ever been driving along and one falls off!
The rest of the features and software are more than adequate: all maps available, easy to follow and view, good verbal directions.
I have also found this satnav to have a superior database on Points Of Interest, over other brands my friends have had. I tap in POI around destination and I come up with lots of facilities, tourist spots, post offices, petrol stations ...
You can program it to avoid tolls, night view, and all the usual.
OK, so my friend's Tomtom has a choice of various voices, male and female from different countries. Mine has one. So what! You will soon learn such things are trivia, and what you really need are the key features to work well and reliably.
The last point I will make as a major advantage is I have a phone number on the back for help & support, which I have used several times, just called them up and they have helped me out. I even broke it, sent it back to them, and they fixed it free of charge one year after I bought it. So defintely worth this!

Ghosts and Earthbound Spirits
Ghosts and Earthbound Spirits
by Linda Williamson

5.0 out of 5 stars Ghosts & Earthbound Spirits by Linda Williamson, 20 Dec 2009
This book is an excellent information reference on this subject from a very genuinely competent & well reputed medium, which gives the real deal and without the scary hype that often is found in literature on the subject of ghosts and hauntings.

I am convinced this book was not written as a money spinner or to be on the haunted books band wagon, but to genuinely help these situations.

Highly recommended.

Northern Lights
Northern Lights
Price: 0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Northern Lights by Renaissance, 12 July 2009
This review is from: Northern Lights (MP3 Download)
Beautiful song, easy & cheap to buy on Amazon, and I would recommend this method of purchase any time, as I find I can play the track on any MP3 or Audio software, whereas I have found tracks purchased by other methods are often limited to their exclusive software.