Profile for Mr. K. C. Brook > Reviews

Content by Mr. K. C. Brook

Mr. K. C. Brook "KevBlut" (Leeds, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Vagabonds Of The Western World
Vagabonds Of The Western World

4.0 out of 5 stars Answer me this...., 6 April 2016
I have a question....Did I hear that Eric Bell, while suffering a breakdown, was not helped by Lynott's writing of "Hero and the Madman" being all about him?
Good album and great guitar work, though.

Good Times Are So Hard to Find: The History of Blue Cheer
Good Times Are So Hard to Find: The History of Blue Cheer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Compilation - Three (Blue) Cheers!, 7 Oct. 2013
I cannot think of another compilation album I hold that has as many great tracks on it. I think you know what I mean. You go out and see an album by an artist and it's a "best of" or whatever, then, when you get it home, there is - at the very least - a couple of tracks you don't really like, sometimes more!
Well, every track on this album of late sixties sounds is absolutely superb. Outstanding band work, brilliant bass playing, dumb-founding drumming, great gut-wrenching guitar, vociferous vocals and keen keyboards! I recommend!!

Twin Peaks
Twin Peaks

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Live album from Mountain.....ever!, 7 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Twin Peaks (Audio CD)
I wanted to enter my review of this album if only to restore a bit of parity to the marking system of stars which, when I saw the album reviewed just recently, left me aghast at the low level of regard apparently held. 3 & 1/2 stars is visually off-putting. Then I noticed there were only two "reviews", one of which was just a statement about giving the album as a gift.
Let me tell you now that Mountain's Twin Peaks is probably the greatest live album I have heard. From the opening track of "Never in my Life" to the storming "Roll over Beethoven" this album soars like a majestic flying titan unleashing its blues soaked power chords across it's never fading wake. This album has songs of beauty such as "Theme for an Imaginary Western" (sung brilliantly by Felix Pappalardi) and "Silver Paper", surrounded by tracks that, were they boxers, would cauliflower your ears yet leave you wanting more. "Blood of the Sun", "Crossroader" & the classic "Mississippi Queen" being three musical pugilists here. Then of course there is Leslie Wests "Guitar Solo" at track number 4 preceding the gargantuan epic that is "Nantucket Sleighride"(superb vocals again by Felix).
I have always loved my rock music and guitar especially. Indeed I hold Leslie West up as my favourite guitarist of all time. But there is something about the rawness of the vocals that Leslie West also performs on this album, that lead me to feel he gave his heart and soul, more than ever, for Mountain on this tour. Special!

Unusual Suspects
Unusual Suspects

5.0 out of 5 stars Grrreat!, 21 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Unusual Suspects (Audio CD)
Looking at the previous 17 reviews, I must say I agree 100% with almost all of them.
I have been a Leslie West fan ever since I heard a friend's copy of his debut album "Mountain". Even though the sound & production left a lot to be desired, I still swapped my Track records Hendrix album "Axis: Bold As Love" for it! That is worth some money! The point is I like Leslie West as a singer/guitarist more than Jimi the god and, even though he says "Don't call me Legend", he surely must be.
I was lucky enough to speak to him & Corky Laing after a gig in Sheffield when they had Stray supporting them and found them both to be funny and humble.
I have almost all of Leslie West's & Mountain's back catalogue (I don't see the point of purchasing all of the repetitive albums like the "official bootleg series") but, without doubt, this latest album is breathtakingly superb.
I like each and every track here but, like one or two reviewers before me, don't like or understand the final track "I Don't Know (The Beetlejuice Song)", other than it's Leslie's way of "having a laugh".
All in all though, 11 great tracks out of 12 can't be bad can it?
I say buy it, love it and search out other great Leslie West albums like "Got Blooze" and "Guitarded", West Bruce & Laing's "Why Doncha" and the vastly underrated Mountain albums "Flowers of Evil" and "Avalanche".

Growers of Mushroom
Growers of Mushroom

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 16 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Growers of Mushroom (Audio CD)
This band have been so over-looked and therefore under-rated it is unbelievable, but it is typical of vocalist Pete French's (Atomic Rooster) luck. Unusually, I can't remember a weak track on this album, it is that good. Great vocals, drumming, bass and guitar combine to produce some brilliant riffs and great songs. Buy it now!

Orang-Utan
Orang-Utan

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb album, 16 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Orang-Utan (Audio CD)
This being the only album made by the band is a shame but what you do have is a stonking good set of rocking tracks. "I Can See Inside Your Head", and "Chocolate Piano", are great rockers but for me "Slipping Away" and the slightly Free-like "Country Hike" along with it's outstanding contemporary "If You Leave" are the best tracks on this great album. Most albums have a couple of weaker tracks and this is the case here, but that should not put you off from buying this superb album. And yes, if you have the money, buy The Wicked Lady's "The Axeman Cometh" & (the best of the lot) Leafhound's "Growers Of Mushroom", too.
Keep on Rocking!!

Dust Bowl [Ltd. Edition]
Dust Bowl [Ltd. Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars Very possibly Joe's finest hour....., 22 April 2011
Joe Bonamassa is a phenomenon. He tours continuously and still finds time to turn out great albums.
All power to him and his "kick ass" producer, Kevin Shirley.
From beginning to end (and at all points inbetween!) this album shows off the extraordinary talents of his writing, singing and guitar playing only bettered (possibly) by Clapton & Beck.
If I were to recommend five Joe Bonamassa albums - picking just one is still too difficult - they would be "A New Day Yesterday"(4), "You & Me"(1), "Live - From Nowhere In Particular"(3), "The Ballad Of John Henry"(5) & this masterpiece that is "Dust Bowl"(2). The figures in brackets indicate my personal preference as the albums go, but hey, that's today and it will very possibly change tomorrow!

Pig Island
Pig Island
by Mo Hayder

1.0 out of 5 stars Pig of a book..., 22 April 2011
This review is from: Pig Island (Paperback)
Having been enthralled with Tokyo, Mo Hayder's 3rd book and having placed Birdman & The Treatment at number one & two respectively as far as great novels are concerned, I was eagerly anticipating Mo's 4th tale.
To say I was left deflated after reading Pig Island is, perhaps, understating it a little.
At first I thought well, ok, it will take off but then got the feeling, as the book tamely petered out to some sort of "been there before - lots of times" ending, that Mo Hayder had run out of ideas. Or maybe it just counted towards her contractual obligations, and her publishers had to put it out? I don't know.
Shame, because I thought she had more promise than that. When I first read Birdman, I also read Hannibal. I thought then that Mo Hayder's first novel splattered and battered Hannibal all over the place before knocking it into, as the saying goes, "a cocked hat".
After I had read this crappy Pig Island, I did not want to pick up another Mo Hayder book.
Disillusioned? You bet.
By the way - I did go on to read all of Mo Hayder's works (except Hanging Hill) and presently still rate Pig Island her absolute worst - by a mile.

Guitarded
Guitarded
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good compilation, 11 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Guitarded (Audio CD)
This album is a mixture of later recorded gems from Leslie and released through "Voiceprint". The first eight are studio tracks - all as per sleeve listing order - then the following happens :- Track 9 "Goin' Down" (Live)- listed as 13
Track 10 "Third Degree" (Live) - listed as 10
Track 11 "Born To Be Wild" - listed as 11
Track 12 "Old Brown Shoe" - listed as 12
Track 13 "Theme From An Imaginery Western" (Live) - listed as 9
Never-the-less this is still a pretty good album!

Electric Ladyland (CD/DVD Limited Edition Digipack)
Electric Ladyland (CD/DVD Limited Edition Digipack)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superlatives Do Not Do This Album Justice!!!, 16 Sept. 2010
I have had this album on vinyl for ages, now. I even bought it twice! I can now add the CD to my collection for posterity.
This piece of musical art, originally splattered onto various recording acetates (Four Track, Eight Track etc) before finally being laid out onto the vinyl discs we all then went out and bought, from the maestro that was Jimi Hendrix is, probably, the finest album ever.
If by some strange chance you do not own this, the final studio album by The Jimi Hendrix Experience, I urge, nay, command you to purchase it forthwith!
18th September 2010 is the 40th anniversary of Jimi's death as well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4