Profile for KLM > Reviews

Content by KLM

KLM

A Thousand Splendid Suns
A Thousand Splendid Suns

5.0 out of 5 stars Evokes a powerful image of Afghanistan and it's people, 12 Aug. 2014
I read this a little while after reading the Kite runner and enjoyed it just as much. Whilst finding the terrible situation of Mariam and Laila so difficult to read, I was struck by the power of their bonds of friendship and love. A beautifully written book that shines with hope and faith for a a better future for Afghanistan.

Perfect
Perfect

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly reels you in, 25 July 2014
This review is from: Perfect (Kindle Edition)
I spent a lot of the time reading this book not liking the characters and thinking I knew where the plot was going whilst unfavourably comparing it to Joyce's previous book (Harold Fry) which I had adored. Yet somehow by the end I found myself crying and feeling that it had ended completely differently to what I had been expecting. Whilst I don't think this was as good as Harold Fry, it wormed its way into being a good read.

Elizabeth is Missing
Elizabeth is Missing

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a cheerful read, 24 July 2014
I really struggled with this book in some ways as the dementia of Maude was so realistically written that it was heartbreaking at times. The interplay between Maude's past and present was am interesting dimension but I felt the first half of the book was very slow paced but then it was very rushed at the end.

The Goldfinch
The Goldfinch

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed this book, 23 July 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. At times I wanted to scream at Andy but at the same time was struck by how a single moment can be life-defining.

Tartt writes beautifully and although some of the characters I knew I shouldn't like (e.g. Boris) I found myself drawn to them and deeply caring what happened to them.

The Husband's Secret
The Husband's Secret

3.0 out of 5 stars Undecided about whether I liked this book, 21 Feb. 2014
The plot was well thought out in many ways but the ending felt quite forced. Left me feeling a bit disappointed.

The Casual Vacancy
The Casual Vacancy

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read but not JK's best, 23 Nov. 2013
I enjoyed this, I really ended up caring about what happened to some of the characters and finished it in 3 or 4 days. What disappointed me is that I felt the ending was a bit rushed and a little predictable. Good book but I think JK is capable of better.

Hexa-Go-Go: English Paper Piecing 16 Quilt Projects
Hexa-Go-Go: English Paper Piecing 16 Quilt Projects
by Tacha Bruecher

5.0 out of 5 stars Hex-mania, 2 Jan. 2013
Lots of mouth watering projects and tons of useful hints and tips on technique for paper piecing. I can't wait to have a go at the Union Jack quilt!

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read in the end, 2 Jan. 2013
I got this book whilst it was on a Kindle sale and after seeing so many positive reviews. I must admit it took me a while to get into this book. I enjoyed the flashbacks to Allan's past more than the present day plot, which at times I found confusing and not as well written. Overall, this book is an entertaining read which is worth persevering with but I felt it wasn't deserving of the hype that it got from some of the previous reviewers.