Profile for Ste D > Reviews

Ace Trumps - Farm Machines
Ace Trumps - Farm Machines
Offered by K Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly enjoyable game., 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: Ace Trumps - Farm Machines (Toy)
The nice thing about this game is that there's not a single card that dominates in most of the categories. For instance, there is one machine that is both the fastest and heaviest but it can be beaten on length by many of the other cards. Likewise, the machine that is the longest isn't particularly fast. Therefore the gameplay can ebb and flow; one minute you may find yourself down to your last few cards and the next you can be on a winning streak.

This is the first Ace Trumps game I have bought and my 5-year old son loves it. I look forward to trying some of the others in the series.

CHOE Qi Wireless Charger Kit for Galaxy S5 (Including Wireless Charging Pad and Wireless Charging Receiver)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly and takes just a moment to install, 7 Aug 2014
Wow - have to say I'm very impressed with this. One of my few grievances with the S5 is that you have to open the USB flap to charge it and then be reminded to close it again afterwards. This tidy piece of kit does away with that... simply lay the phone on the mat and that's it. The phone will acknowledge that it is being charged wirelessly but won't bother you when taken off.

The kit comprises of 3 pieces; a wafer-thin 'conductor' that rests on the battery, a charging mat and a USB lead. Simply remove the back panel from the phone and lay the conductor so that its two metal contacts are touching the corresponding contacts within the phone. Replace cover, connect mat to lead, connect lead to charger and you're done.

The conductor is so thin and light that it tended to moved out of place when I tried to snap the back cover into place, so I used a bit of sellotape to secure it. The phone's original back panel does snap back on and, once in place, I cannot tell that there's anything different about the phone.

The phone has to be placed centrally and squarely on the pad to charge properly and I've had no problems with mine despite it having a soft case around it. I can definitely recommend this wireless charger... never having to faff around with a charging lead every night is a godsend.

Ramozz @ USB3.0 2-Bay 2.5"/3.5" SATA Hard Drive Disk Dock Station HDD Cloning Duplicator
Offered by Locoisle777

4.0 out of 5 stars works well... if the lead holds up!, 2 Aug 2014
Bought this for two main purposes: to clone my boot drive so I've got a backup, and to use as a caddy for my other hard drive.

On the cloning front I can't fault it. It will clone any source drive fitted into slot A onto the drive on slot B. Any remaining space on the target drive will become an unallocated partition. You have to hold the red button down for 3 seconds before it will clone, then you just leave it to do it's thing. The bays are quite wide so you may find your drives getting noisy as they lean loosely against the side. I wedged something in between to suppress the noise.

As a caddy it also performs fine, transferring gigabytes of data at rapid speeds thanks to USB3. However the USB lead that came with mine was very weak and the USB3 pins inside one of the sockets became bent resulting in the device defaulting to USB2 speeds. I had to buy a separate cable from Amazon to overcome this, hence why I have deducted a star.

BenQ GW2450HM 24-inch Full HD LED Monitor
BenQ GW2450HM 24-inch Full HD LED Monitor

5.0 out of 5 stars exceptional monitor for the price, 2 Aug 2014
Wow! Picture quality blew me away. Vivid yet not over-saturated that it looks false. Best thing for me is true support for 50hz interlace playback over HDMI. Looks better in real life than in the photos!

VELUX Roller Blind Quality Roof Skylight Easyfit In White 1028
VELUX Roller Blind Quality Roof Skylight Easyfit In White 1028
Offered by EasyShadow

5.0 out of 5 stars very pleased, 2 Aug 2014
Fitted perfectly. I ordered 3. First one took 20 minutes to install as I followed the instructions to the letter. Other 2 took about 5 minutes each.

Blondie 4(0)-Ever: Greatest Hits Deluxe Redux / Ghosts Of Download
Blondie 4(0)-Ever: Greatest Hits Deluxe Redux / Ghosts Of Download

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly Blondie's best ever album!, 19 Jun 2014
Having listened to this 'Ghosts Of Download' almost every day for the last 3 weeks I felt I had to post a review to say how good it is. I didn't think the reformed Blondie would ever be able to produce an album with as much appeal as those early ones, but their more recent albums have been getting better and better - and in my opinion this is not only the best one since they reformed - but their best album ever!

Like 'Panic Of Girls' it starts off strong with a string of instantly enjoyable pop songs, but then it actually goes up a notch with the superb 'Winter' - a powerful and haunting song that will play back over and over in your head long after you've finished listening to it! But this album doesn't dry up; it keeps mixing up the styles churning out one great song after another.

Apart from 'Winter' I particularly like 'Euphoria' and 'Backroom'. Both have similar Latin overtones and are very catchy. As is the bonus track 'Put Some Colour On You' - which has such a funky rhythm you could easily mistake it for a Pharrell Williams hit. I would have liked a few more powerful 'Golden Rod' style tracks and something drummy for Clem to let really rip on, but there's enough here to please just about everyone.

Weakest track for me is probably 'Relax'. Being a fan of the original I was expecting to really like this but for some reason the arrangement just doesn't do it for me. That's not to say it's bad by any means, just not great. To put it into context, I'd give it (bearing in mind I'm referring to the *weakest* track here) 7 out of 10 compared with the rest of the album - so that shows just how strong this collection is! Shame about the use of the F-word at the start of 'I Screwed Up'. As soon as you start putting profanity into what should be a "pop" album you instantly lose your universal appeal.

But there are so many great tracks on here that it quite deservedly gets a full 5 stars from me. I don't know if Blondie are planning to release another album but if they do I hope it continues in the same vein as this one.

TabExpress DUAL CAMERA 9" inch Dual core Tablet WIFI-1G RAM-8G HDD 2014 Model
TabExpress DUAL CAMERA 9" inch Dual core Tablet WIFI-1G RAM-8G HDD 2014 Model

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible value for money, 23 May 2014
I've owned several budget Android tablets over the years and this one really stands out. Right now you'd be hard pushed to find a better tablet for under £100, let alone £60.

Delivery is quick, it comes in a large box complete with UK charger, USB leads and instructions. Unlike some cheap tablets this one does charge via USB. Mine arrived with the battery around 80% charged, although I think this was slightly misleading as it dropped quite quickly initially then steadied out. Having used it steadily for a week now the battery life is surprisingly good... it doesn't appear to drain at all on standby (with wifi off) and perhaps by just 5-10% for every half-hour of continual use.

The design is good. It has a finely textured back plate and decent sized bezel surrounding the screen to allow you to get a firm grip without your thumbs encroaching onto the screen. There's the usual ports (micro USB, headphones, micro SC card) with physical buttons for power, back and volume +/-. It's not too heavy for its size and feels good in the hand.

Obviously the first thing you're going to notice about a tablet is its screen, and this one is, well... OK! The thing that lets it down is the viewing angle. Look at it straight on and all is well, but deviate by a few degrees here and there and it becomes fainter. I've seen worse; some tablets look like negative prints when viewed from an angle but this one, to be fair, keeps its colour but just not the contrast. Quick tip: In the Display settings there is a Smart Colour option. Enable this and your videos and photos will look a lot more vibrant.

The best thing about the display on this tablet is its size and resolution. Sure it's not exactly "retina" standard but compared to a 7" tablet at 800x480 there is a huge difference. I have to say at this point that I bought this tablet for my 5-year old son, to replace a 7" budget tablet I bought 2 years ago to occupy him on long car journeys. He loved the old tablet and used it mostly for watching videos. In terms of video playback quality, this TabExpress tablet is way better. It handles HD footage impeccably.

As some other reviewers have mentioned, the volume on this unit is surprisingly loud. Normally the first thing I download on an Android tablet is a sound booster, but this one is so loud I really don't feel the need.

For the Android speed freaks out there, this tablet scored 12555 on Antutu benchmark - which too ain't bad at all.

The only let down has to be the camera, but I have to put it in context of its price. For £60 I can't really expect a speedy 9" tablet, let alone one with a camera, so this is my only grumble - and its a minor one. Before I bought it I asked a question on Amazon as to its resolution but nobody answered. I can tell you that it is your basic 0.3MP (640x480) run-of-the-mill sensor. With no flash. The stock camera app produces a very 'zoomed-in' image, but I found I could get much better quality photos and video(and at a wider angle) using 3rd party apps such as ICS Camera. Again, this was bought for my 5-year old, so quality is not important. In fact he finds it amazing the this tablet can do video whereas his old one couldn't.

Putting the features of this tablet in context with its price there can only be one mark... and that is 5 stars. In the £30-£100 price bracket this is probably one of the best you can get.

Oh and one last thing... excellent service from TabExpress. My first one have a dead pixel in the lower-left corner of the display, and despite many attempts at fixing it it would not go away. They promptly paid for its return and my replacement is perfect.

iRulu 9.7 Inch Android Tablet PC, 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, Dual Core Allwinner A20 CPU, 10 Point Capacitive Touch Screen, Dual Cameras, HDMI

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet for the price, matched by great service from iRulu., 16 Nov 2013
This is definitely a lot of tablet for the money, and if you accept you'll not be getting Samsung/Sony quality at this price you'll probably not be disappointed.

First of all shipping from China was a lot quicker than I was expecting. I ordered the tablet on a Tuesday and it was delivered the following Monday. Once it was in the hands of DHL I could track it on their website from Hong Kong to Germany to the East Midlands to Manchester to me. There was no import duty to pay and I find it amazing that the delivery cost is included in the price.

The thing that attracted me to this product was it's large 4:3 screen as I find the squarer aspect ratio better for viewing in portrait mode than the 16:9 screens found on most tablets. But don't be expecting iPad style quality here as colours aren't particularly saturated, blacks are not very deep, it's a magnet for fingerprints and the optimum viewing angle is quite shallow. But it's perfectly functional and that's what matters. The 1024x768 resolution is great for web browsing and was my default resolution back in the CRT days of PCs, and I had no problems then browsing the internet, reading emails or playing games back then!

As it comes with Android 4.2.2 installed you can use 'swiping' movements on the keyboard to form words, as opposed to discrete presses. There's no bloatware installed, just enough essential apps to get you going. I was also pleased to see that all the apps I have on my HTC phone were compatible with this device. I also own a 7" budget tablet running Android ICS 4.0.4 and there's a lot of stuff on Google Play that won't install on that, but not so with this tablet. Angry Birds Seasons plays brilliantly, as does Bike Race.

The speakers were sufficiently loud for my needs, although I wouldn't really use it as a music player unless using headphones or a bluetooth speaker. And that reminds me... one of the reviewers here said that it he sent his back because it didn't have bluetooth, but mine did. I enabled it and paired it with my phone. It also features wifi-n, not just b&g as stated in the ad. The wifi connection in my home was rock solid. Battery life is also good; barely draining at all on standby and still over 3/4 full after 1.5 hours of continual downloading from Google Play.

But... despite my overwhelming praise for this tablet I had to send it back. There were a few essential apps for me that simply refused to work properly. Puffin web broswer wouldn't start because it said 'Force GPU rendering' must be disabled even though it was! And Skype wouldn't deliver video footage to the other caller. I tried a video call from the iRulu tablet to my laptop and got a green screen on the laptop where the video should have been. When I tried the same test from my phone to the laptop (using the same wifi) it worked fine. I contacted iRulu about these issues and they were very apologetic and promised to inform the hardware supplier. They also offered a no-quibble refund, with a return postage address in Devon.

Perhaps a firmware update will fix these issues or maybe I just had a dud, but despite what I've just said if you're looking for a budget tablet then I'd definitely recommend you give this one serious consideration. At time of writing I don't think you can beat it in terms of value for money... a competent dual-core processor, highly-regarded version of Android, large screen, great battery life, and very attentive service from iRulu themselves.

Definitely a 5* product, and in a league of its own at this price.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Serves its purpose well, but beware of the power lead!, 20 Oct 2013
The 640x480picture quality is OK (I've uploaded a screenshot) and it records at a consistent 30fps.

What I like about this product is that once it has been configured and installed you can just forget about it. It starts automatically when the car ignition is switched on and turns itself off when you turn the ignition off. I have mine set to record in 15-minute chunks, and a full 15 minutes of footage is around 800K in size. When the memory card becomes full it simply overwrites the oldest files. Files are in avi format and can easily be viewed on a PC.

It serves its purpose perfectly well; that is to constantly record the view out of my rear window so that if I am ever involved in an accident that isn't my fault I'll have comprehensive video footage to back up my claim. (I have the Prestigio Road Runner in the front windscreen.)

The only problem I had was that it severely interfered with my radio reception. As this only happened when it was plugged in I suspected it could be the power lead, so I ordered a different one from Amazon for a under £3 and now it works perfectly.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Prestigio Road Runner HD1 Car Digital Video Recorder
Prestigio Road Runner HD1 Car Digital Video Recorder

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent dash-cam, 20 Oct 2013
The 720p picture quality is OK, just a tad on the soft side. (I've uploaded a screenshot.) Still, it is possible to make out road signs and number plates if they are close enough. The frame rate is not entirely at a consistent 30fps (even on my Class 10 SDHC card) but it's smooth enough. The wide angle lens is great and gives a nice wide field-of-view.

What I like about this product is that once it has been configured and installed you can just forget about it. It starts automatically when the car ignition is switched on and turns itself off when you turn the ignition off. I have mine set to record in 15-minute chunks, and a full 15 minutes of footage is around 1GB in size. When the memory card becomes full it simply overwrites the oldest files. Files are in avi format and can easily be viewed on a PC.

It serves its purpose perfectly well; that is to constantly record the view in front of me so that if I am ever involved in an accident that isn't my fault I'll have comprehensive video footage to back up my claim.

Finally, someone mentioned that theirs interfered with their satnav. I have had such no problems with mine, although the cheaper TaoTronics camera I bought to go in my rear windscreen did interfere with my radio reception - until I replaced the power lead and then it was fine.
Comment Comment | Permalink