ARRAY(0xa8094f84)

Profile for Ste D > Reviews

Content by Ste D

Ste D (Lancs, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
iRulu 9.7 Inch Android Tablet PC, 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, Dual Core Allwinner A20 CPU, 10 Point Capacitive Touch Screen, Dual Cameras, HDMI
Offered by IRULU NETWORKING
Price: 133.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet for the price, matched by great service from iRulu., 16 Nov 2013
This is definitely a lot of tablet for the money, and if you accept you'll not be getting Samsung/Sony quality at this price you'll probably not be disappointed.

First of all shipping from China was a lot quicker than I was expecting. I ordered the tablet on a Tuesday and it was delivered the following Monday. Once it was in the hands of DHL I could track it on their website from Hong Kong to Germany to the East Midlands to Manchester to me. There was no import duty to pay and I find it amazing that the delivery cost is included in the price.

The thing that attracted me to this product was it's large 4:3 screen as I find the squarer aspect ratio better for viewing in portrait mode than the 16:9 screens found on most tablets. But don't be expecting iPad style quality here as colours aren't particularly saturated, blacks are not very deep, it's a magnet for fingerprints and the optimum viewing angle is quite shallow. But it's perfectly functional and that's what matters. The 1024x768 resolution is great for web browsing and was my default resolution back in the CRT days of PCs, and I had no problems then browsing the internet, reading emails or playing games back then!

As it comes with Android 4.2.2 installed you can use 'swiping' movements on the keyboard to form words, as opposed to discrete presses. There's no bloatware installed, just enough essential apps to get you going. I was also pleased to see that all the apps I have on my HTC phone were compatible with this device. I also own a 7" budget tablet running Android ICS 4.0.4 and there's a lot of stuff on Google Play that won't install on that, but not so with this tablet. Angry Birds Seasons plays brilliantly, as does Bike Race.

The speakers were sufficiently loud for my needs, although I wouldn't really use it as a music player unless using headphones or a bluetooth speaker. And that reminds me... one of the reviewers here said that it he sent his back because it didn't have bluetooth, but mine did. I enabled it and paired it with my phone. It also features wifi-n, not just b&g as stated in the ad. The wifi connection in my home was rock solid. Battery life is also good; barely draining at all on standby and still over 3/4 full after 1.5 hours of continual downloading from Google Play.

But... despite my overwhelming praise for this tablet I had to send it back. There were a few essential apps for me that simply refused to work properly. Puffin web broswer wouldn't start because it said 'Force GPU rendering' must be disabled even though it was! And Skype wouldn't deliver video footage to the other caller. I tried a video call from the iRulu tablet to my laptop and got a green screen on the laptop where the video should have been. When I tried the same test from my phone to the laptop (using the same wifi) it worked fine. I contacted iRulu about these issues and they were very apologetic and promised to inform the hardware supplier. They also offered a no-quibble refund, with a return postage address in Devon.

Perhaps a firmware update will fix these issues or maybe I just had a dud, but despite what I've just said if you're looking for a budget tablet then I'd definitely recommend you give this one serious consideration. At time of writing I don't think you can beat it in terms of value for money... a competent dual-core processor, highly-regarded version of Android, large screen, great battery life, and very attentive service from iRulu themselves.

Definitely a 5* product, and in a league of its own at this price.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Serves its purpose well, but beware of the power lead!, 20 Oct 2013
The 640x480picture quality is OK (I've uploaded a screenshot) and it records at a consistent 30fps.

What I like about this product is that once it has been configured and installed you can just forget about it. It starts automatically when the car ignition is switched on and turns itself off when you turn the ignition off. I have mine set to record in 15-minute chunks, and a full 15 minutes of footage is around 800K in size. When the memory card becomes full it simply overwrites the oldest files. Files are in avi format and can easily be viewed on a PC.

It serves its purpose perfectly well; that is to constantly record the view out of my rear window so that if I am ever involved in an accident that isn't my fault I'll have comprehensive video footage to back up my claim. (I have the Prestigio Road Runner in the front windscreen.)

The only problem I had was that it severely interfered with my radio reception. As this only happened when it was plugged in I suspected it could be the power lead, so I ordered a different one from Amazon for a under 3 and now it works perfectly.

Prestigio Road Runner HD1 Car Digital Video Recorder
Prestigio Road Runner HD1 Car Digital Video Recorder
Offered by Alida Systems ®
Price: 63.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent dash-cam, 20 Oct 2013
The 720p picture quality is OK, just a tad on the soft side. (I've uploaded a screenshot.) Still, it is possible to make out road signs and number plates if they are close enough. The frame rate is not entirely at a consistent 30fps (even on my Class 10 SDHC card) but it's smooth enough. The wide angle lens is great and gives a nice wide field-of-view.

What I like about this product is that once it has been configured and installed you can just forget about it. It starts automatically when the car ignition is switched on and turns itself off when you turn the ignition off. I have mine set to record in 15-minute chunks, and a full 15 minutes of footage is around 1GB in size. When the memory card becomes full it simply overwrites the oldest files. Files are in avi format and can easily be viewed on a PC.

It serves its purpose perfectly well; that is to constantly record the view in front of me so that if I am ever involved in an accident that isn't my fault I'll have comprehensive video footage to back up my claim.

Finally, someone mentioned that theirs interfered with their satnav. I have had such no problems with mine, although the cheaper TaoTronics camera I bought to go in my rear windscreen did interfere with my radio reception - until I replaced the power lead and then it was fine.

Trevi SB-8300W 2.1 Speaker Bar Sound Bar Projector 40W White
Trevi SB-8300W 2.1 Speaker Bar Sound Bar Projector 40W White
Offered by EnergyMonitorWorld
Price: 79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A decent, no-frills sound booster, 8 Jan 2013
I recently bought a 32" Toshiba LCD TV for the kitchen and was very disappointed with its sound output. I appreciate that due to their size LCD TVs cannot house huge speakers, but my other sets (a Samsung and a Toshiba) both deliver good, weighty sound. For 'aesthetic' reasons (read 'wife') I could not change the TV, so I had no choice but to augment it - and a cheap soundbar seemed the logical choice.

As the TV is white the soundbar had to be white too, which significantly limited my choice, but I have to say that I am more than pleased with the Trevi. I'm no hifi expert, but the sound from this unit is loud enough to fill a large room and doesn't distort at high volumes.

I don't bother with the 3D mode or the remote control; I just leave it switched on so that when I turn on my TV the sound comes straight out of the Trevi and not the TV. It connects to my Toshiba via the headphone socket and I simply use the TV remote to control the volume.

One thing I did notice was a remote control clash. When I pressed '1' on my Toshiba remote it switched off the soundbar! No worries... the Trevi remote sensor is behind the mesh grille, so I removed the grille, covered the sensor in Duck tape, replaced the grille and now all is well. You can't see the tape beneath the mesh and my TV remote doesn't interfere with it any more.

If you want a decent sounding speaker system for your TV without costing silly money then I'd recommend giving this a try.

G&BL Ocean Series 'Dolphin' Wall Mount with Compact Ball Joint - White
G&BL Ocean Series 'Dolphin' Wall Mount with Compact Ball Joint - White
Price: 30.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, versatile and unobtrusive., 8 Jan 2013
I needed a wall mount for a 32" LCD TV to go in my kitchen. I wanted one that could pivot and tilt, yet not protrude far from the wall... and this one ticked all the right boxes.

I'm normally wary of buying products from Amazon that don't have reviews but I'm glad I took the plunge with this one... it fits the bill perfectly.

Installation is really straight-forward: There's a narrow central column that screws into the wall (fittings are provided), and the main unit itself which screws into the back of the TV. (Various sizes are supported.) Simply slide the main unit (with TV attached!) over the central column on the wall and that's it!

Should I ever need to wall mount an LCD TV again I'll definitely buy another one of these.

Double 9 Dominoes
Double 9 Dominoes

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value but not great quality., 8 Jan 2013
This review is from: Double 9 Dominoes (Toy)
As a few other reviewers have stated, the finish to these dominoes isn't pristine. It's as though the inking process for filling in the dots isn't as refined as it should be and has left the odd speck of ink on some of the pieces. Fortunately, with a bit of rubbing and scraping, these marks can be removed and should not detract from the overall game - just be prepared to do this yourself if you buy them.

Apart from the blemishes these dominoes feel weighty and solid, and at under seven quid they represent great value for money. Compared to my previous set of wonky wooden pieces this is a significant step up in quality; just don't expect perfection.

NATPC M009S X2 7" Dual Core 16GB Android Tablet PC - now updated with Dual Core Power and Android 4.1 Jelly Bean - Dual Cameras

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit!, 4 May 2012
Grrr. This is the third time I've tried to submit a review for this product but so far nothing has registered with Amazon. So rather than trying to retype the acres of text from before I will summarise...

1) Solid build quality. Feels very sturdy in the hand.
2) Great compatibility. All the Android apps on my Xperia Arc smartphone work on this.
3) Good battery life. At least 4-5 hours of constant use.
4) Decent screen. Responsive and bright, albeit not too vibrant in colour.
5) Adequate sound. Just about loud enough, but there is a headphone option.
6) Expandable. Whack all your media onto a micro SD card, thus leaving internal memory solely for apps.
7) A great media player. Loads of options available via Android Marketplace, aka Google Play.
8) Wifi works a treat.

If you're used to Android and you want a slightly larger device then this is great. Not quite as fast as my smartphone but it's perfect for what I want - namely something for my 3-year old to watch videos on during long car journeys. It's by no means an iPad, but for under 80 quid it's a decent touch screen device.

Icecrypt T2400 Freeview+ HD Recorder with 2TB Hard Drive
Icecrypt T2400 Freeview+ HD Recorder with 2TB Hard Drive
Offered by Superfi
Price: 219.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive hardware but slightly flawed, 5 Mar 2012
I realised the other day that the majority of programmes in my Sky HD planner are all available on Freeview HD, so why should I pay Sky 35/month for content that is essentially free. With this in mind I cancelled my Sky subscription and ordered the 2TB Icecrypt T2400. At 270 it would pay for itself after 8 months. Plus, with hard disks currently costing 30-50% more than they were 4 months ago it seemed like decent value.

Set-up was very straight forward and within minutes it was up and running. Initial impressions were very positive; great picture quality, both for SD and HD material, and virtually silent in operation. The on-screen menus and planner were simple to navigate and I had no problems setting up series links.

However, being a Sky subscriber for 10 years there were a few things that irked me. The remote control wasn't as intuitevly laid out as Sky's, and although you could program it to operate the TV you couldn't use it to operate the PVR and the TV volume in one go. It was either TV mode or PVR mode. But I could live these nuances.

Unfortunately there were a couple of other issues that I could not live with...
1) On resuming playback after ff/rew it would often take 5-10 seconds for the sound to come back on, and sometimes not at all.
2) Playback of HD material would sometimes pixellate or become corrupt. It was actually recorded this way because if I played the same bit over and over again it would exhibit the same corruption. I have good signal strength so I doubt it was a problem with my aerial. I checked the firmware and I was on the latest version.

Despite being a nice PVR with masses of storage, it just didn't feel as smooth and responsive as my Sky HD box, so in the end I returned it for a refund and changed my Sky subscription their 10/month Freeview HD + PVR package. If you've not experienced Sky and are looking for a good Freeview HD PVR then I'd recommend you have a look at the Icecrypt T2400 2TB. It is possible that I had a faulty unit as I've not read any reports from other people having these problems.

On a final note, my order was fulfilled through Amazon by Superfi, and I just have to commend them on their excellent service. I ordered the item on a Wednesday evening and it was delivered on the Friday morning. When it came to returning the item, they arranged for a courier collection and my credit card was credited within days.

Lexar 16GB MicroSDHC Class 10 High Speed Memory Card MicroSD with SD Adapter Upto 12MB / s Write and upto 18MB / s Read
Offered by Modern-Tech

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price for a 16GB micro SDHC card and quick delivery, 21 Dec 2011
16GB micro SDHC card arrived quickly and performs exactly as described. The price was the best available at the time for a Class 10 card and I would definitely order from Komputerbay again.

The Butterfly Effect Trilogy [Blu-ray]
The Butterfly Effect Trilogy [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Eric Lively
Price: 12.13

4.0 out of 5 stars A good trilogy at a great price, 23 Nov 2010
I've always enjoyed these films so to get all three on bluray for around a tenner was a bargain I couldn't pass up. The picture quality is better than I expected for a budget release although, unsurprisingly, there are no extras.

Page: 1 | 2