Profile for Ms Woolfenden > Reviews

Content by Ms Woolfenden

Ms Woolfenden "Alison"

Bridesmaids (Usborne Sticker Dolly Dressing)
Bridesmaids (Usborne Sticker Dolly Dressing)
by Lucy Bowman

5.0 out of 5 stars Great present for smaller bridesmaids, 25 Nov. 2010
I gave this book along with two others to my nieces aged 2 & 4 who were my little bridesmaids. We had to wait a while before it was delivered - I assume due to reprinting referred to in previous reviews. There didn't seem to be any problems with stickers peeling off from what I observed.
When it did arrive I was very pleased with the product - it was excellent value for £3, and they both loved it - they set to work straight away peeling off the stickers, even if they did end up with some slightly odd clothing combinations. It seemed to also prompt lots of make believe "getting married" games for some weeks to come, so enabled them to get used to the idea of being a bridesmaid. As they are so young it was probably a better choice than the other books I bought them (e.g. my day as a bridesmaid) for their age, although the other two books were beautiful and a great choice for bridesmaids perhaps a couple of years older than them. My matron of honour even wanted one (although I felt at the age of 36 she perhaps was a little old!)
Great gift for your littlest bridesmaids which won't break the bank and will enable them to feel included and better understand what is going on.

Riverford Farm Cook Book: Tales from the Fields, Recipes from the Kitchen
Riverford Farm Cook Book: Tales from the Fields, Recipes from the Kitchen
by Guy Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book, 18 July 2009
I bought this after visiting the farm and having a meal in their field kitchen. The meal at the field kitchen was truly stunning and it is brilliant that I can recreate some of their wonderful recipes at home. My partner has called it "restaurant quality food".

It's organised into sections which relate to the veg (and some fruit) in alphabetical order. Around 4 recipes are given for each plus extra ideas at the end. The index is also very helpful in also listing ingredients which comprise part of the dish but may not be the main ingredient (eg if you are looking for cheesy dishes you don't have to flick through the whole book if you have some cheese to use up).

I made the chocolate beetroot Brownies for work and they were a huge hit. The baked courgettes with chilli and mint worked wonders in persuading my other half to eat courgettes, not usually his first choice veg.

Also good are the hints at the end for using up the bits and bobs lurking in the bottom of the fridge and I also liked the commentary on subjects like supermarkets and food miles which I wholeheartedly agree with.

If you are still pondering whether or not to buy this book you can download some of the recipes from this book from the Riverford web site which gives you an idea of how great the book is.

I love cooking and own a lot of cook books, but this has to be one of the best. I'm veggie and whilst a few of the recipes aren't there is plenty of veggie content to make it well worth the money.

The Bold Vegetarian Chef: Adventures in Flavor with Soy, Beans, Vegetables and Grains (Hospitality)
by Ken Charney

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty & Interesting, 10 Oct. 2007
I have cooked loads of recipes from this book and almost without exception they have been excellent. As the title suggests, there are no bland recipes here. My partner who is a meat eater has been most impressed, and the author offers recipes with seitan, which I had never even heard of before, despite being veggie for nearly 10 years. The recipe which is aimed to taste like beef bourgignon went down a treat with my other half. The only criticism (and hence reason for not awarding 5 stars) is that he sometimes lists ingredients, and then forgets to tell you when to add them, or instructs you to prepare them (eg soaking, frying etc) but then forgets to tell you to add them to the main dish! However, overall I feel it is an excellent book for trying to impress sceptical non-veggies, and cooking something nice and tasty but also good for your health. Many of the recipes are vegan, and there is little reliance on cheese, which so many veggie books fall into the trap of. Worth the money.